Hatcham Servicing depot

28ten

Guv'nor
O Gauge - Poll Hill Parcels Depot

Phill Dyson said:
The more I read about DCC on 'Western Thunder' though.....the more confused I'm getting (not difficult I know) :rolleyes: :oops:

Phill :wave:
Not the only one Phill, I thought it was supposed to be easy :scratch:
Mike, that looks quite a decent run now :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
[quote=""Phill Dyson"":xxc72fb2]
The more I read about DCC on 'Western Thunder' though.....the more confused I'm getting (not difficult I know) :rolleyes: :oops:

Phill :wave:
Not the only one Phill, I thought it was supposed to be easy :scratch:
Mike, that looks quite a decent run now :thumbs:[/quote:xxc72fb2]
I did think about the Gaugemaster 'Black Box' (to keep things simple & still have sound to play with) but apparently it's not suitable for O gauge :headbang:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Phill,

the garden is a definite no-no, which is why the 4' fiddle yard will have to be broached very carefully indeed.

Hi Cynric,

it is surprising how you can look at something for so long and be fairly content with it and then produce a mirror image of it and see things in a totally different light, as it were. I am now happy with the track plan it's just a question of which usage - but if you can have the same layout for differing periods of time - post grouping, BR, Privatisation, you can argue that the usage chaged as well - station becomes parcels depot becmes CCE depot - so I've answered my own question - now to bed.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

I've now made three attempts to update this thread today, with photos and each time I have had error messages come up, so I'll wait until after the weekend and Cynric's updating is complete.

regards

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor

Ressaldar said:
I've now made three attempts to update this thread today, with photos and each time I have had error messages come up, so I'll wait until after the weekend and Cynric's updating is complete.

regards

Mike
What error are you getting? and at what time?

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Cynric,

the message was 'web page has expired' and the postings were between mid-day and the posting of my message. E ach time, it was during uploading the photos and there was an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle in the bottom left hand corner, on the task bar, which seems to be there all the time I reply to a post.

Hope that this helps.

regards

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor

Ressaldar said:
Hi Cynric,

the message was 'web page has expired' and the postings were between mid-day and the posting of my message. E ach time, it was during uploading the photos and there was an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle in the bottom left hand corner, on the task bar, which seems to be there all the time I reply to a post.

Hope that this helps.

regards

Mike
that sounds like anything of my doing, more a hosting issue.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi all,

here we go again, the progress over the past couple of weeks has seen the support frame and the baseboards completed, with the exception of the locating dowels and the board to board catches installed. The new window is being installed on Monday, so hopefully, a normal service will be running come Tuesday morning - although SWMBO has told me that she wants me to re-decorate the hall, stairs and landing- before we go South for a few days on a family visit ::) ::)

Attachments

• IMG_1227.JPG
    740.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    756.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1229.JPG
    810.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1230.JPG
    782 KB · Views: 0

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Always nice to see some bare-naked baseboards  ;D........ I bet you can't wait to get at em 8) . Will the raised board at the back form a retaining wall ?

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Phill,

can't get to excited at present as the new window has to be fitted and then theres the decorating to do for SWMBO :-* :-* :-* so just laying the points out to check for alighnment at present.

The backboards may well end up as retaining walls, they have always appealed to me. However, having looked at the photos again, I think that I am going to have to remove the bottom row of shelves as they seem to be 'crowding' the scene and purchase another pair of uprights for the far end by the front door, so that I do not lose the shelf space - can never have too many shelves in a workshop!

regards

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor

I agree about the shelves, a bit of extra height wouldn't go amiss, i think about 12 inches is enough

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
O Gauge - Poll Hill Station & Parcels Depot

Hi Cynric,

the backscene boards are 8" high above the base board and on reflection, adjusting the shelf height would be a far easier option - it just means that I'll have to (re)think what goes on these particular shelves, not wanting anything nasty falling from the 'sky' onto the railway :-[ :-[ :-[

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Having spent the last few months on the Q1 and tinkering with 'alternative' layout designs during the early evenings, I have come full circle with my ideas for the layout and have decided to stay with 'Poll Hill' (see page 1 posting #13) and all of it's 'Minories' quirkyness.

So a clear up in the workshop over the next few days and then down to business - photos to follow.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi CME,

there is a plan on page 6 - reply 79, which together with the photos above, would seem to answer your question. However, I am looking to see if I can rationalise things to get the two number drawer units together at the right hand end thus giving better access to the underside of the boards - although, hopefully, once things are up and running, access requirements will/should be nil.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

While I was in the local Homebase at the weekend, I came across an insulating material called Nomatherm, a polystyrene sheet with a thick brown paper facing on one side - it comes in a roll 10m x 0.5m x 3 mm thick and costs £9.99. I purchased a roll to try in lieu of cork as an underlay - especially as it is a lot cheaper!

website www.nmc-uk.com

I'll post a report later.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
with the Q1 completed, I have now turned my attention to the layout and have had yet another change of plan - the curse of non-commitment in getting the track down in the first place!

So we now have a Servicing area scene so that once built, the locos have somewhere to run up and down and all continuous running, can be done at the Club - hauling other peoples stock until such times when I've built my own.

Attachments

• Hatcham Service yard 26.04.11.jpg
    Hatcham Service yard 26.04.11.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2128.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2129.JPG
    IMG_2129.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 44-126_33143_Qty1_1.jpg
    44-126_33143_Qty1_1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 10

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Nice choice of loco shed Mike  8).....it will be interesting to see what else Bachmann come up with in 7mm  :scratch:

Phill  :wave:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Phill,

I will be having a close look at the Bachmann 00 shed this weekend at a local show, it certainly would be a good choice to do in 0.

I ordered the Cobalt point motors today from DCC Supplies together with some SMD LEDs - they look very good in use as floodlights on the thread on RMweb where the guy is using the Bachmann depot as the main building for his layout.

Also started tinkering with some 5mm foamboard today - a whole new ball game for me - starting from scratch as it were. So I experimented with various knives etc and made up a cutting board, then cut out the walls for a crew room/bothy and glued them togetherwith canopy glue and left it to set overnight.

Will do some more experimenting tomorrow before choosing a method to start the ball rolling on the main buildng.

cheers

Mike