Your DCC system

D1054

Western Thunderer
It all looks a nice neat job to me, Mike.:thumbs: And you shouldn't have any overheating problems with it mounted like that as its exactly the same as the arrangments I've done in Heljan 47's.:) Maybe Zimos just like to run a bit warmer;)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Boris,

thanks for looking - and letting me know that I have wired it up ok - I'll keep watching it and report back as and when. I might get back to Digitrains on Monday and chat it through with them.

cheers

Mike

Simon

Flying Squad
I'm in the Multimaus camp, and had decided to buy their wireless set up when I found one for sale at a reasonable price.

There is a Chinese seller (who appears very reliable) who always has them for sale at £319, which was the best price I had seen and I was humming and haring over taking the plunge. However, this morning I spotted two for sale at what I think is a very good price of £249 odd plus post, and this seller is in the UK.

Well I succumbed, and very much look forward to wireless sounds out on the line, I was regularly tripping over the wires of the standard Multimaus which was doing it no good at all. The existing system won't be wasted as I will use it for Pomparles Siding.

Anyway, for what its worth the other one is still available:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCO-MULT...ains_Railway_Models&hash=item35bc9b24d6#ht_79

As I understand it, I will be able to program with this wireless version of the Maus.

Simon

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Ok really dim question from way back at the class. I'd like DCC for gauge 1 or G gauge, can I mix and match decoders with controllers and do you need two decoders, one for sound and on for loco control or are there combined decoders. I'd prefer a contoller with a rotating knob and don't wish to use battery power so contol via track, its a layout rather than a garden sprawl.

Sounds, do you have to buy a decoder with sounds on or can you add sounds to a decoder, I'm after US sounds and preferable UK/ Euro decoders etc.

Answers, real simple please, potatoe farmer language preferably LOL, you'd think I'd understand all this, being an electronics crane engineer for a multi billion $ company :), PLC driven 3ph vector motor control = easy, DCC on a toy train :headbang: .

Kindest

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Ok really dim question from way back at the class. I'd like DCC for gauge 1 or G gauge, can I mix and match decoders with controllers and do you need two decoders, one for sound and on for loco control or are there combined decoders. I'd prefer a contoller with a rotating knob and don't wish to use battery power so contol via track, its a layout rather than a garden sprawl.

Sounds, do you have to buy a decoder with sounds on or can you add sounds to a decoder, I'm after US sounds and preferable UK/ Euro decoders etc.

Answers, real simple please, potatoe farmer language preferably LOL, you'd think I'd understand all this, being an electronics crane engineer for a multi billion $ company :), PLC driven 3ph vector motor control = easy, DCC on a toy train :headbang: .

Kindest

Hi Ill try my best, all decoders should be compatable with a dcc controller . The decoders available vary in the number of functions depending on what you want to control on your locos. The sound decoders will have multiple function . My ESU loksound v 4 sound decoder has 15 functions that i know of but maybe more , im still a newbie to DCC . I have the NCE power cab the throttle has a wheel as well as single stepped and multi stepped throttle push buttons .
Have a look at the loksound v4 xl designed for the larger scales ,the decoders can also be remapped with sound samples of your choice via a programmer interface and P C

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Hi Ill try my best, all decoders should be compatable with a dcc controller . The decoders available vary in the number of functions depending on what you want to control on your locos. The sound decoders will have multiple function . My ESU loksound v 4 sound decoder has 15 functions that i know of but maybe more , im still a newbie to DCC . I have the NCE power cab the throttle has a wheel as well as single stepped and multi stepped throttle push buttons .
Have a look at the loksound v4 xl designed for the larger scales ,the decoders can also be remapped with sound samples of your choice via a programmer interface and P C

Yep, all that. Plus: there are many DCC command systems that have control knobs, the two I have (Lenz LH90 and Roco Multimaus) both have 'proper' control knobs as handheld controllers. If you want a console type controller I'd probably be looking at ESU or the Uhlenbrock 'Intellibox' (or derivatives from Trix or Fleischmann).

One thing you will probably find in the larger scales, particularly of US-outline is that they can be pretty power hungry so make sure your system can be expanded easily with boosters (to increase the current), and that the voltage of both decoders and command system can be adjusted - I understand that it's relatively normal to be running G-scale at around 20v, rather than 12v which would be normal in the smaller scales.

The ESU LokSoundv4 is a fine decoder for scales up to around 0, the 'large scale' decoder only really kicking in for G1 and above. ESU and Zimo offer integrated DCC+S decoders, other options are to buy decoders such as the Lenz Gold decoders which support something called SUSI. SUSI is an interface specification for attaching accessories (such as seperate sound decoders from the likes of Dietz) to an otherwise drive-only decoder.

I only have direct experiance of the ESU LokSound family and have the LokProgrammer, which offers the opportunity to tweak and tailor existing sounds (all available for free from a library, but no UK-specific sounds. There's a huge array of US and European sound sets) or allows you to load your own sound files from your own recordings. In my experience to do the latter is not always as straightforward as you might think and you'd need some sound editing software.
I hope that's some help. Please feel free to PM me if you've got any specific issues you don't want to raise here...

Steph

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Ok I'm sort of following all that except for one thing.

Do you need separate decoders for loco control and sound, I read through the Loksound site and no where can I find information as to what decoder I need for sound or loco control, they, and I assume all DCC suppliers, assume that people have prior knowledge of what is required :(. I'm kind of guessing that a ESU XL V4.0 will suffice, if so thats nice as the V4.0 GP38-2 sound is way better than the V3.5 they offer, if their clips are anything to go by?.

Kindest

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Ok I'm sort of following all that except for one thing.

Do you need separate decoders for loco control and sound, I read through the Loksound site and no where can I find information as to what decoder I need for sound or loco control, they, and I assume all DCC suppliers, assume that people have prior knowledge of what is required :(. I'm kind of guessing that a ESU XL V4.0 will suffice, if so thats nice as the V4.0 GP38-2 sound is way better than the V3.5 they offer, if their clips are anything to go by?.

Kindest

Mick,

Most ESU and Zimo are integrated DCC + Sound, yes. I don't know the specific numbers for the Zimo drive-only or drive+souund decoder, but for ESU LokSound is DCC+Sound, LokPilot is drive only.

I suspect there's no real difference between the v3.5 and v4 sound samples, although the way they're processed differs. Frankly it's the installation of the speaker and enclosure that sets the limit on how good the loco will sound - you can't scale physics and there's no real substitute for size if you want decent bass, dynamic range and volume.

Steph

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Ok that makes sense and that's two pieces of the million piece jigsaw in place LOL, seems some decoders cannot be updated by users, Soundtraxx with their Tsunami range?. I'd like to be able to hear more sample sounds and note ESU do a whole range of DSB stuff, now that opens an even larger can of worms!, a 1:32 MZ IV would be killer.

I'm also presuming that one can add HO sounds to a Gauge 1 decoder, in which case why are sound listed under gauge and not as one simple list for all ? (ref ESU).

One of the reasons for going larger scale is speaker size, sound is and is becoming, more of a deal breaker for me, a big Gauge 1/G loco should have ample space for some nice kick off speakers.

Controllers, has to be hand held, I like the flexibility.

US locos power hungry, yes I gather they are, will need to check ampage for USAT and Aristo but XL V4.0 can take 4 Amps and peak at 5, that should be good enough for a shunting style layout and perhaps a couple of locos in tandem. The other option is to place an interface between the decoder output and the motor circuit, I'm guessing....on here say that DCC circuits work on AC supply, that being so a simply thyristor and control circuit should suffice, the thyristor taking the motor current and the decoder driving the gate.

Kindest

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'm in the Multimaus camp, and had decided to buy their wireless set up when I found one for sale at a reasonable price.

There is a Chinese seller (who appears very reliable) who always has them for sale at £319, which was the best price I had seen and I was humming and haring over taking the plunge. However, this morning I spotted two for sale at what I think is a very good price of £249 odd plus post, and this seller is in the UK.

Well I succumbed, and very much look forward to wireless sounds out on the line, I was regularly tripping over the wires of the standard Multimaus which was doing it no good at all. The existing system won't be wasted as I will use it for Pomparles Siding.

Anyway, for what its worth the other one is still available:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCO-MULT...ains_Railway_Models&hash=item35bc9b24d6#ht_79

As I understand it, I will be able to program with this wireless version of the Maus.

Simon

Like this ? http://www.ekmpowershop3.com/ekmps/.../roco-multimaus-pro-split-from-set-1358-p.asp believe it or not Ipswich is the next largest town from me 13 miles away and I've never heard of this model shop!.

Also found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCO-MULTIMAUS-DCC-CONTROLLER-/230797551605#ht_5361wt_1397 which seems very good value for money?.

The only concern now is the power requirement for these primarily HO systems, some do run small G scale with them as far as I can tell but mostly Euro stock (LGB).

Kindest

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Ok that makes sense and that's two pieces of the million piece jigsaw in place LOL, seems some decoders cannot be updated by users, Soundtraxx with their Tsunami range?. I'd like to be able to hear more sample sounds and note ESU do a whole range of DSB stuff, now that opens an even larger can of worms!, a 1:32 MZ IV would be killer.

I'm also presuming that one can add HO sounds to a Gauge 1 decoder, in which case why are sound listed under gauge and not as one simple list for all ? (ref ESU).

One of the reasons for going larger scale is speaker size, sound is and is becoming, more of a deal breaker for me, a big Gauge 1/G loco should have ample space for some nice kick off speakers.

Controllers, has to be hand held, I like the flexibility.

US locos power hungry, yes I gather they are, will need to check ampage for USAT and Aristo but XL V4.0 can take 4 Amps and peak at 5, that should be good enough for a shunting style layout and perhaps a couple of locos in tandem. The other option is to place an interface between the decoder output and the motor circuit, I'm guessing....on here say that DCC circuits work on AC supply, that being so a simply thyristor and control circuit should suffice, the thyristor taking the motor current and the decoder driving the gate.

Kindest

Mick,

I'm not sure about the ability to swap sounds between the different ESU decoders - the XL is at v3.5 so that won't take a v4 standard sound file, period. v3.5 sound profiles can be uploaded into v4 decoders. Swapping sound profiles between (say) a 'standard' v4 and a v4 'XL' may be possible, but I've not tried it.

Don't forget the booster power in your equasion - your decoder may happily manage with a motor pulling 4A, but if your booster is only rated at 3A (and most of the starter units are just that) you're going to have a rough time. If you're going G1 by the sound of it you'll need a high power booster to keep one loco rolling!

Update: Mick, after much faffing, I've found out that the MultiMaus Pro/Zentrale only kicks out 3.2A so it may not be the ideal system for you.

Steph

Simon

Flying Squad
That second Multimaus is exactly the one I have already, and I'm very happy with it. That price is as good as it gets I think.

Mine is happily powering 1/32 D6319 with a fairly inefficient pitman on board drawing around an amp when running, I've encountered no "power out" situations yet but do anticipate putting power boosters in.

I'm going to try fitting a Dietz sound thingummy via the susi interface on a Lenz gold (that I bought from Steph) on my Ruston 48DS (Mashima 1833), I still haven't phoned Glendale Junction to see what the damage will be!

In general terms I'm utterly sold on the sound thing for diesels, I've been out there this evening with D6319 - best train set I ever had!

Simon

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Steph,

Ok much more digging, this guy over the other side of the pond is a gold mine of info for larger scales http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips.html, DCC, sound, lighting, power, just about everything you need in short and some exhaustive testing and results!.

The power issues only seems to revolve around USAT locos and older ones at that, the GP9 stalls at over 20A! and runs at 4A others much lower, see here for traction results http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips4/tractive_effort_tests.html note light running current, as I'm primarily looking at a shunting plank loco depot style layout I don't think I'm going to kill the PSU LOL, though reading elsewhere you can pull the standard Multimaus PSU and suppliment a larger SMPS unit, did read up about that somewhere, been to sooooo many sites this evening LOL. I'm also seriously tempted to remove the motor from one of the bricks, or more accurately buy a dummy motor block and side frames, accumulate the powered bricks for scratch build projects.

Some tips/ explanations here on ESU decoders http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips11/loksound_tips.html for G gauge too, very handy.

ESU decoders, I have to confess that the ESU site is a bit of a mess and contradicts in places, but, the ESU page for XL V4.0 http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-xl-v40/ right at the bottom does say that V4.0 sounds can be used. I suspect XL V4.0 is very new, I've not researched suppliers in detail yet but the two or three I skimmed had only XL V3.5. The other confusing factor is that some ESU sounds are for certain scales, yet clearly the bumpf says XL will take all V4.0 sounds, the only differences I can see are the number of functions?. Even in V3.5 or V4.0 there is no 16-645 Roots blown that I can see and certainly no GP15 that I can find, only in Loksound select can you get a roots 645 :headbang:. I'm sure if you can download files and different horns and such, then there must be a facility to swap these in and out?.

I do already have a Aristo class 66 in G scale so that might be a nice loco to experiment with in the mean time :).

Kindest

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Steph,

Ok much more digging, this guy over the other side of the pond is a gold mine of info for larger scales http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips.html, DCC, sound, lighting, power, just about everything you need in short and some exhaustive testing and results!.

The power issues only seems to revolve around USAT locos and older ones at that, the GP9 stalls at over 20A! and runs at 4A others much lower, see here for traction results http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips4/tractive_effort_tests.html note light running current, as I'm primarily looking at a shunting plank loco depot style layout I don't think I'm going to kill the PSU LOL, though reading elsewhere you can pull the standard Multimaus PSU and suppliment a larger SMPS unit, did read up about that somewhere, been to sooooo many sites this evening LOL. I'm also seriously tempted to remove the motor from one of the bricks, or more accurately buy a dummy motor block and side frames, accumulate the powered bricks for scratch build projects.

Some tips/ explanations here on ESU decoders http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips11/loksound_tips.html for G gauge too, very handy.

ESU decoders, I have to confess that the ESU site is a bit of a mess and contradicts in places, but, the ESU page for XL V4.0 http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/loksound-xl-v40/ right at the bottom does say that V4.0 sounds can be used. I suspect XL V4.0 is very new, I've not researched suppliers in detail yet but the two or three I skimmed had only XL V3.5. The other confusing factor is that some ESU sounds are for certain scales, yet clearly the bumpf says XL will take all V4.0 sounds, the only differences I can see are the number of functions?. Even in V3.5 or V4.0 there is no 16-645 Roots blown that I can see and certainly no GP15 that I can find, only in Loksound select can you get a roots 645 :headbang:. I'm sure if you can download files and different horns and such, then there must be a facility to swap these in and out?.

I do already have a Aristo class 66 in G scale so that might be a nice loco to experiment with in the mean time :).

Kindest

Mick,

To quickly pick up on a couple of points raised:
The Multimaus (not 'Pro' version) can be used with a Lenz command station; which is what I do. I think Lenz do a high-power command station, but what current that can kick out I can't remember off the top of my head. I think the standard version is 5A.

I've not checked the full list of available US locos, but I know there are now suitable ones for GP20 and GP30, so I guess there must be a blown 567 in there somewhere. It may be hiding in the later v3.5 profiles.

To upload new profiles to the LokSound decoders you'd need a LokProgrammer. It's around £100 IIRC, but I've found if very useful to do things like add British whistles to generic sound profiles to get 'sound alike's in our locos - no-one in their right mind is going to develop a profile for a Maunsell E1 4-4-0 after all! It also allows you to play with cut/boost, notching, coast and individual sound levels for each sample. Often such sensitivities aren't applied off the shelf, where overall volume of the 'turn everything up to eleven' variety still seems prevalent. Beware that the LokProgrammer learning curve (especially around the v4 family) is very steep to start off with...

For your 66, might I recommend finding someone with a LokProgrammer and getting them to pull down the fully-featured version offered for the Mehano model and see if that'll load into your chosen decoder? It's a wee bit better developed than any of the UK ones I've yet heard. And, of course, can be tweaked to your desires. Have a little clicky on the play symbol next to item 20408 on this page: http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/sounds/generation-3/locos-with-loksound/ Incidentally, the PCM recording for the SD7/9 is great for a conventionally aspirated 567 and responds well to a bit of tweaking.

Steph

Edited to correct 567 vs. 645 'high impedance between headphones' moment

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Steph,

SD7/9 are 567 engines :), 567 generally runs up to GP35 or SD35, then EMD made the transition to the 645 block, most 645s have a yinging sound from the turbo and other effects, however the GP38/ SD38 has a 645 with a roots blower and sounds more like the 567 engine, a bit like the DSB MY item 11403, actually that's the only sound clip I've ever heard where you can hear the compressor, its very distinctive deep doop doop doop over the engine noise. Listen to the DSB MY and then try the SD38 here http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/sounds/loksound-select/, note no compressor sound and the DSB version has a slightly different exhaust, its very hard to describe that exhaust sound but its virtually unique to Nohab/ EMD engines. The EMD 38 series are the only 645's that sound like 567's but different enough to make a difference....to me anyway LOL. One critical sound that you do need for the 567 Nohab's is that compressor at idle, it cuts in and out every few minutes or so, say every 5 or so, I wonder if it could be timed to add the compressor noise and have the decoder switch it in and out at pre determined times ?. Decoders seem to be able to switch external functions, are they clever enough to switch sounds?.

The Mehano 66 does sound pretty good, 710 engine you see, off to a good footing already :), seriously, it does sound just like the 1:1 I hear at work everyday.

Its late now and my head is spinning LOL, I'll crawl all over ESU tomorrow and see if they have what I need :), well they already have DSB MY and MZ (645) so that's virtually sold them to me to be honest.

Good point on the Lenz command station and yes the programmer would be required as I suspect the sound levels do not match that well from the factory when you ramp up and down?, is that also called a sprog or is that for another system?.

Thanks to all for the input thus far, apologies for the hijacked thread LOL, with luck I'll be able to add my system to the growing number here very shortly.

Kindest

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Mick,

I've got, and use, both LokProgrammer and SPROG. i use the LokProgrammer for loading and altering sound profiles and their behavior in the deeper programming options. i use the SPROG for adjusting CVs of decoders that I've bought pre-loaded, or for drive-only decoders. It also helps when fine-tuning CVs on decoders with my own sound profiles loaded.

I suspect that's pretty meaningless at the moment unless you've had a good look through the manuals. i suggest downloading something like a LokSound decoder manual and see what it says for installation, set up and programming of CVs. Anything not mentioned or implied (i.e. the sound programming) is what you'll need the LokProgrammer for.

Steph

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Steph,

Ok, last few questions before I flex ze plastique. If all my decoders are going to be sound equipped then I'd only really need the LokProgrammer?, if I read this right it'll read the decoder CVs via the PC interface so no need for the SPROG and nothing to do with MultiMaus?, can you actually drive the train from the PC when setting up speed and throttle curves etc.

I'm also perplexed with this preprogrammed bit, are preprogrammed decoders more expensive, in which case why do people not buy the simple sound decoder, then collect the free files from ESU and upload themselves. That being so one could add any sound one likes to a decoder and delete/ add others at will?.

In fundamental terms, all I need to start is

Roco Multimaus
Lokprogrammer
Sound files from ESU
Loksound XL v4.0 decoder

Kindest

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Mick,

If you're going to stick with ESU, then yes; all you need is the LokProgrammer, rather than SPROG and LokProgrammer. The LokProgrammer does have a driving interface, although whether it would be able to supply the current you'd need to get a G1 loco moving would seem a little unlikely to me. It works fine with my 0-gauge models though. If you want to try Zimo you'd need their equivalent device.

Pre-programmed decoders can be more expensive. In practise the official ESU line is that you buy the decoder and get the sound for free, which is fine for anything in the ESU library. It does make some sense (at least initially) to buy a decoder with the (ESU) sound you want installed and then have a think about what you'd change before buying the LokProgrammer. Of course, if you want UK sounds there may be a premium (such as Howes) for the vendors' sound profile. If ESU do all the sounds you're likely to need then you're on to a winner, whether you buy the LokProgrammer or not.

In summary, your list of items would give you a going concern if:

1. By Multimaus you're including the handset, a command station and a power supply.
2. You're not costing your time or the effort involved in getting up the learning curve in the use of th LokProgrommer should you decide you need one.
3. All the profiles/sounds you're going to want are in the ESU library.
4. You like, or at least get on with, the Multimaus! And that includes it providing enough current for operation of your loco - the standard Roco/Fleischmann command station kicks out only 2.5A.

I think you can download the ESU LokProgrammer software and manuals (such as they exist) from the website without having the hardware. If this works, it would help you see what you'd get for your money - you could even have a look at a couple of the sound profiles that interest you. The v3 versions of the software are very mature although v4 as a new product is still evolving. The latter is far more complex though and I haven't got my head round it yet - an XL v3.5 might be an easier introduction to the capabilities of the system.

Steph