4mm Wolsey's Creek

lien backwards

Thank you, Richard, that’s really useful to see.

Myself and a late friend produced some underside baseboard protection for our groups new test track. It is a similar idea to this, but not one sheet for the underside. It is something I will experiment with in the near future.

Best wishes,
Thank you, Richard, that’s really useful to see.

Myself and a late friend produced some underside baseboard protection for our groups new test track. It is a similar idea to this, but not one sheet for the underside. It is something I will experiment with in the near future.

Best wishes,

lien backwards

PaulR

Western Thunderer
In some ways this is the boring bit of layout building but it has to be got over with, and some unexpected free time has enabled me to crack on with the baseboards. A curved front has been fashioned and I'm going to try Gordon Gravett's idea of vinyl blind material for the backscene, so a removable frame has been constructed. I'm quite pleased with the way it has turned out.

I still have to design the fascia and a frame for the lights - and I haven't started on the fiddle yard yet.

28-07-24 1.jpg

28-07-24 2.jpg

I've also created base for the raised track bed with small pieces of ply glued down in such a way that it doesn't inhibit access to the point switches and electrics. The track bed board will be screwed down so that I can lift it if necessary while soldering it all up. It looks in the photos as if the curve is wonky but that's actually an optical illusion - honestly it's lovely and even!

01-08-24.jpg

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Family responsibilities mean there has been no layout progress for a week or two but I thought I'd write a little about my plans for the stock on Wolsey's Creek. At the moment I have two working locos, a Rapido J70 converted to EM (it was mine that was described by Graham Hudson in the latest EMGS Digest Sheet) and a GER Class 209 coffeepot, a High Level Kit which I built in lockdown. Both have Zimo decoders in but not with sound.

P1001346 - Copy.JPG

I also have a kit for a GER E22 (J65). I'm currently working on a High Level Kit Black Hawthorn which is in what I would describe as the 'boiled sweet' stage, i.e. with a gloss varnish before a second satin coat and weathering. The frames are finished but setting it all up is fiddly and I haven't succeeded with that yet. The red is my own choice and I have a nameplate for it, 'Siriol', which is my wife's middle name.

13-08-24 1.jpg

There are also kits for a Manning Wardle 'Old Class I', a Ford Railbus, and I've got my eye on the Rapido Manning Wardle Class L too. I have a nice selection of Eveleigh 4 and 6 wheel GER coach kits to choose from and also plenty of wagons, some of which can be re-gauged from Old Parrock. Here's my GER brake van from a D&S whitemetal kit, sitting companionably and unweathered alongside my Brighton brake van.

28-09-21 5.jpg

The idea is that the GER runs passenger trains and also drops off wagons which the harbour company then shunts up and down in a pleasingly aimless fashion. So, although the setting is Suffolk and the River Blyth, the railway part of it is perhaps more akin to Colonel Stephens and The Selsey Tramway. I'm just enjoying myself really!

I'm hoping to get on with the trackbed later this week.