Weathered Locos & Stock

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Neil,

With your splendid work on this 9F once again you bring back memories of the old GC London Extension for me remembering these wonderful locos hurtling through Leicestershire with 'windcutters'. Many thanks for once again recalling those carefree trainspotting days!

Roger

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Neil, magnificent work as ever.

Could I ask, what is the material that you have used as ground cover on your photography plank? It looks ideal for a future project.

JB.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Neil,

With your splendid work on this 9F once again you bring back memories of the old GC London Extension for me remembering these wonderful locos hurtling through Leicestershire with 'windcutters'. Many thanks for once again recalling those carefree trainspotting days!

Roger
Thank you Roger, very kind. I’m glad it brings back those memories.
Wow! It looks almost too real (if that's possible). I'll never be able to achieve that level!

Richard
Thank you Richard.
It’s careful observation of the real thing and practice - lots of practice!
Hi Neil, magnificent work as ever.

Could I ask, what is the material that you have used as ground cover on your photography plank? It looks ideal for a future project.

JB.
Thank you Jonathan.
The ground cover is a multi layered blend of Greenscene static grass (mainly of the straw colour with some lush colour added) Woodland Scenics fine turf (3 types) hanging basket liner, Greenscenes long grass (buff?) planted in small clumps and teased by hand.
Hope that’s helpful.
Neil.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Thank you Roger, very kind. I’m glad it brings back those memories.

Thank you Richard.
It’s careful observation of the real thing and practice - lots of practice!

Thank you Jonathan.
The ground cover is a multi layered blend of Greenscene static grass (mainly of the straw colour with some lush colour added) Woodland Scenics fine turf (3 types) hanging basket liner, Greenscenes long grass (buff?) planted in small clumps and teased by hand.
Hope that’s helpful.
Neil.
Thanks Neil, I was thinking more along the lines of the sandy small ballast that you have used as the base..?

JB.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Thanks Neil, I was thinking more along the lines of the sandy small ballast that you have used as the base..?

JB.
Sorry Jonathan - I’m a dimwit !
It’s chinchilla ‘dust’/‘grit’ that you can buy in reasonable quantities on the internet.
I was given a tub by a chap I work for so I’m not sure exactly where it came from, other than the web, but I can find out for you?
Neil.

NewportRod

Western Thunderer
I bought chinchilla dust at the pet shop in my local market.

I did find however that when laying it with dilute PVA it had a habit of shrinking. Perhaps Kleer might have given better results (this was 4mm BTW)/

IMG_0470.jpeg

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Sorry Jonathan - I’m a dimwit !
It’s chinchilla ‘dust’/‘grit’ that you can buy in reasonable quantities on the internet.
I was given a tub by a chap I work for so I’m not sure exactly where it came from, other than the web, but I can find out for you?
Neil.
Not at all..!!

Thanks very much I think it will work perfectly. How did you get the sandy colour, as the raw chinchilla dust appears to be grey. Mixing powder paint perhaps, or possibly going over with an airbrush afterwards.

JB.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Not at all..!!

Thanks very much I think it will work perfectly. How did you get the sandy colour, as the raw chinchilla dust appears to be grey. Mixing powder paint perhaps, or possibly going over with an airbrush afterwards.

JB.
Morning Jonathan,
I fixed the chinchilla grit with an ISO alcohol wash first (from a pipet) then a dilute PVA mix, and have had none of the problems shown above to be honest.
The ‘cess’ areas I used an airbrush to give it that slightly grey colour in fact. I have to admit, I think the grit I was given was more buff in colour than grey, so other than gentle weathering, that creamy-buff colour under the track was close to how it came.
It’s probably a slight illusion due to me colouring the cess that makes the look of the track area more cream/sandy coloured?
Sorry I can’t be more help.
Neil.

Last edited:

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I’ve recently completed the weathering on this MOK 9F.
Built very nicely by Jack Clements, beautifully painted by Paul Moore - made grubby by me.
View attachment 156614View attachment 156615View attachment 156616View attachment 156617
View attachment 156618

That is stunning!

I've just re-read your descriptions on how you achieve your results and I'm interested to see that you seem to rarely use an airbrush. I bought an airbrush a few years back, but I find it a real faff to set up and use. When I eventually finish my own 9f (Crosti) I hope to use your weathering techniques.

Mike

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
That is stunning!

I've just re-read your descriptions on how you achieve your results and I'm interested to see that you seem to rarely use an airbrush. I bought an airbrush a few years back, but I find it a real faff to set up and use. When I eventually finish my own 9f (Crosti) I hope to use your weathering techniques.

Mike
Thank you Mike.
Re the airbrush, I’d be lying to say I don’t find it a useful tool in my armoury for weathering and scenery, but I don’t use it very often. I’ve moved my use of oils and paint on canvas over to 3D work and continue to use very similar techniques that I used painting in 2D for years - it’s just what I’m comfortable with.
I look forward to seeing the Crosti 9F in time…
Neil.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Neil , your weathering is an inspiration so i have taken the plunge . A question though , when you add powders onto the paint do you work it with the paint or just on the surface ? I ask as i tried mixing and ended up with a goop that really didn't want to do adhere to anything , luckily the whole lot wiped off . I then tried dusting onto the surface of the paint but after drying it turned out a bit patchy . I'm still at the practice stage so these are old wagon body's that I'm trying out on , phew .
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Evening Paul,
Thank you very much for your kind comments and please forgive my tardiness in reply!
I use the powders both ways as you describe.
The first way of adding it into the paint is practice to get the right consistency to apply to the model.
The second, of adding powders to a painted but wet surface inevitably leaves things patchy, but often, that’s the effect you’re after. Once that’s on and dry, you can always add over that by hand painting or airbrush in order to reduce it looking too patchy if that’s not the quite the effect you’re after.
Hope this is helpful.
Best wishes,
Neil.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
A recently completed weathering job of mine; a second Lee Marsh, large prairie tank loco; a truly beautiful model.
I really like to use one main photographic reference when weathering and this was no exception (colour BR plain green rather than GWR admittedly, although with a nod to other B&W reference from the 1930s).
One of my favourite touches is the relatively clean boiler barrel ring nearest the smoke box, and then the other part of the boiler has been left untouched and grimy - including the safety valve cover. I guess the cleaner(s) at the time felt it too much effort to reach, although they did manage to wipe the side of the firebox!
With grateful thanks to David Thomas (also the loco’s owner) for the photographs taken on Kevin Wilson’s Bucks Hill.
CD4D5076-60D5-4983-B25D-9AE1E953CE0B.jpeg2ACFED15-5004-4396-996F-12D6CA75EECD.jpegC1161461-FFAD-4418-95B2-39ED79FF0D9B.jpegCF1E52E3-6133-4E73-BB3D-5F3244722A34.jpeg