7mm US model dabblings

richard carr

Western Thunderer
The main reason I have had the chance to post so much this weekend is because I'm here in Chicago again, with a fair bit of spare time as it gets dark at 4:30 in the afternoon. I haven't really finished posting the October trip yet, but this morning I came across something I wasn't expecting at all. I started out at Bensonville Metra station which is the western entry point to Canadian Pacific's main yard in Chicago. It is just to the south of O'Hare airport so if you want to go train spotting and plane spotting all at once you can !

To be honest on the train front nothing was happening, there was a bit of switching going on in the yard but it was too far away to see anything worthwhile. So I took a drive along Franklin Street that parralells the southern edge of the yard. There is a lot of raod construction going on and it got the point where the road was closed and a diversion was in place, but as I approached the diversion, I saw this

_Z9R3924elgindec22.jpg

It must be quite a while since this had a new paint job, I'm not certain what it is ? is it a GP15 of one kind or another ?

Here are a few more photos

_Z9R3925elgindec22.jpg

_Z9R3926elgindec22.jpg

_Z9R3929elgindec22.jpg

Thinnking about it, if it has a fan at the back it can't be a GP15, so Jordan can you enlighten us please.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
GP38-2 with winterization hatch.

GP15 have a big radiator opening at the base of the hood at the rear like SP/DRG/UP tunnel motors, no filters high up like the rest of the GP's and the fans are buried inside the body work. They're often nicknamed 'baby' tunnel motors.

Bagged this one at Yermo CA

IMG_2881.jpg

Last edited:

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Richard, the other end of the yard at Mannheim station on Front St is easy to park, commuter and CP action. Mind you, March 2019 was my last visit :'(
Jason
MannheimStn.jpg

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Whilst mucking about with Atlas freight trucks this weekend, and lamenting the narrow axles, I've had an idea that is either just stupid, or rather good,I'm not sure which...
Would it be possible to draw and 3D print a prototypical thicker cosmetic axle 'overlay' sort of thing, in two halves, which could then be superglued together over the existing axle & painted, to make it look better?
Lunacy or Genius...?? :confused: :oops:

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Possibly genius, I'm fairly sure that would work, and you can have a tapered axle.

Jason

I would have gone to Mannhiem but the road was blocked and there was a lengthy diversion to get there and I still wanted to go to Des Plaines Hobbies.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Not mad at all and something I wanted to try when I find time. Rather than split the print I was going to make it one piece with a corresponding hole in the middle. Pull off the insulated wheel, slide on cosmetic axle, refit wheel.....simples.

Last edited:

Rob R

Western Thunderer
There is probably room for both designs.
If you have the truck in bits anyway then the one piece makes sense, for a quick and easy then the split design would be the way to go.
Still need that dimensioned doodle..................

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Not mad at all and something I wanted to try when I find time. Rather than split the print I was going to make it one piece with a corresponding hole in the middle. Pull off the insulated wheel, slide on cosmetic axle, refit wheel.....simples.
Only 'simples' sort of...
I prefer two split halves as the whole truck doesn't have to be dismantled to get the axles out,then wheels pulled off. Most MTH cars I have need dismantling themselves to get the trucks off too!!
Far easier to just glue two halves over each axle in situ. ;)

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Still need that dimensioned doodle..................
No doodle but the Atlas axles are 2.5mm, or a fraction under, diameter. I measured both a tapered end axle and a 'roller bearing' axle. Length is 26.9 or 27 between the insulting bushes (which are around 5mm diameter). There is knurling on the axle which sticks out a bit past the insulating bushes so it would be worth increasing the internal diameter for 0.5mm at each end.

Rob R

Western Thunderer
No doodle but the Atlas axles are 2.5mm, or a fraction under, diameter. I measured both a tapered end axle and a 'roller bearing' axle. Length is 26.9 or 27 between the insulting bushes (which are around 5mm diameter). There is knurling on the axle which sticks out a bit past the insulating bushes so it would be worth increasing the internal diameter for 0.5mm at each end.
Thanks Fraser, that takes care of the internals, all that is needed now is the protoype axle external diameters and I will fire up the TinkerCad...........

Rob R

Western Thunderer
.stl files if anyone wants to have a play before I re-commission my printer

Attachments

• Atlas axle casing V01 complete.stl
    151.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Atlas axle casing V01 half.stl
    89.3 KB · Views: 2