7mm US model dabblings

richard carr

Western Thunderer
So on Saturday I headed south along US route 45 to Tolono, this is about 8 miles south of Champaign. Route 45 parallels the railway all the way there.
At Tolono, the Illinois Central mainline is crossed by the Norfolk Southern Decatur (pronounced DeKayTor) to the west of Tolono to Danville line to the east. So in theory there should be quite few more trains than there is in Champaign.

I arrived at about 8:30 and parked up near the grain elevator by a level crossing over the NS line, unfortunately no train arrived on any lines until about 10am, when this coal train arrived on the ILC.

tolonoR5EO1103.jpg

On the back was this

tolonoR5EO1105.jpg

tolono_Z9R4651.jpg

Looking east the 4 tracks from left to right are, the main siding (ie passing loop), the main line, a loop for the grain elevator and a spur with the buffer stop. If you look on google maps you will see that there appears to be an east to south connector, but this has been blocked off, it is the same with the west to north and the east to north has been removed completely.
The grain elevator would make a nice model.

tolono_Z9R4657.jpg

I drove round the village looking for a better spot and found 3 other cars parked up by the crossing, that was where the local rail fans went, but local by american standards tend to mean anyone from less than 3 hours away !

The action started to pickup another north bound manifest arrived, I took a video of that, then this arrived and parked up in the ILC siding to the south of the crossing

tolonoR5EO1110.jpg

And this arrived on the NS line

tolonoR5EO1108.jpg

Both were clearly waiting for something else to pass, it turned out to be Amtrak

tolonoR5EO1120.jpg

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I have now put the video together for the day, here is the link to it.

I did manage to take a few more photos but taking both as a train passes is to say the least a bit tricky.

Once Amtrak passed the first to move off was the NS line

tolonoR5EO1132.jpg

Then the CN train lead by the UP loco moved north.

The next train was a south bound manifest on the Illinois Central mainline

tolonoR5EO1139.jpg

The second loco was in Kansas City Southern livery.

The final photo is from a couple of mile outside Tolono to the east, it turned out to be a road railer train

tolonoR5EO1151.jpg

Richard

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Dave

The Amtrak services are part of the Mid West group of relatively short runs, this one is 3 trains a day in each direction between Chicago and Springfield IL, it was close to being on time

Richard

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Three trains a day for a town 179 miles away - it's hard to comprehend when we take for granted around thirty to forty trains a day between London and Leeds for a similar distance.

Of course in Europe we are geared for passenger trains taking priority during the day with freight slotted in between and most freight running during the night. Added to which we have the line capacity.

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Hmmm, a RoadRailer train ... anybody interested in putting one of these together? I have a box of 2nd-hand Bowser trailers, a few NS Triple Crown like we'll have seen, but some 'other' non-RR names reminding me I don't know much about this traffic. Are some of these road-only?
1679335824401.png

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I drove back to Chicago early on the Sunday morning and parked up at Mannheim Metra Station, this took quite a bit of finding as the official address is on the other side of the tracks from where the station actually is on Front Street in Franklin Park, My sat nav had 10340 Franklin Avenue as the address.

When I got there this was parked updoing nothing and really spoiling the view, all the action was taking place on the other side of this train

mannh_Z9R4690.jpg

mannh_Z9R4697.jpg

There was plenty of shunting going on, but on the other side of this train.

This was parked up a bit further to the east.

madriver_Z9R4712.jpg

And when I was checking WT on my phone I looked up and this freight was right on me and all I could do was sit there and watch it go by, so no photos or video

Then metra turned up but it wasn't stopping

madriver_Z9R4730.jpg

Then a train arrived from the north west

mannhR5EO1153.jpg

It took over 20 minutes to get into the yard

madriver_Z9R4725.jpg

Another train was shunting on the far side and pulling well out of the yard so I headed down to one of the level crossings

The steam you can see is from the switch heaters.

madriver_Z9R4736.jpg

The second loco is a SD60

After this it was time to go and visit Des Plaines Hobbies and then head back to the airport for my flight home

Richard

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Then metra turned up but it wasn't stopping

madriver_Z9R4730.jpg

I am surprised Metra still have the strange gallery cars unlike the true Dopplestockwagen seen in Europe.