Scenery & Dioramas

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
A few people may know that as well as weathering locos and rolling stock, I also produce scenery for peoples layouts and dioramas; I work alongside Paul Bambrick (Bambrick Studio), Nige Smith and Richard Ellis (Monks Gate Models).
This is the latest project I’m working on. It’s a depiction of Christow Station in the 30’s (7mm scale). The areas in the photos are still very much ‘work in progress’ with further elements and details still requiring adding. Most notably visible armatures within the bank of backscene trees and reeds in the barely discernible stream-ditch.
**You can view some of my other scenery work on the Kingswear thread in the Layouts section of this website
70C71A71-64C3-4FBF-90BD-25DD5D565CCD.jpegC202602A-9B4A-4511-9628-F35A5F4E407B.jpeg0EE798FB-3F80-47DD-8280-19B2DF30A8CD.jpeg1F9905F1-AA9D-4468-A220-AABD51FD228F.jpeg

Osgood

Western Thunderer
So true, Graham.

The images above blend so well with the backscene I have to ask, Neil -

Did you build the scenery to the backscene, or did you create the backscene to fit the scenery?
I'm going to guess the backscene came first.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
So true, Graham.

The images above blend so well with the backscene I have to ask, Neil -

Did you build the scenery to the backscene, or did you create the backscene to fit the scenery?
I'm going to guess the backscene came first.
Thank you Osgood.
Yes, exactly re the backscene and scenery.
The backscene has very little to do with me in truth. It was erected by my client.
All the scenery I’ve undertaken so far has been built out and up from it.
Neil.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Thanks.
In all these years I've aways thought of the backscene coming later than the basic framework of the scenery, followed by fine-tuning of scenery to match it.
But looking at your photos it suddenly struck me that it might be far better to have the backscene in place before commencing scenic work.
Tony

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Thanks.
In all these years I've aways thought of the backscene coming later than the basic framework of the scenery, followed by fine-tuning of scenery to match it.
But looking at your photos it suddenly struck me that it might be far better to have the backscene in place before commencing scenic work.
Tony
Glad I have your name now Tony.
Sorry, should’ve asked before .

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thank you for posting this topic - I think that the bigger format of WT trumps the pathetic window of FB and the content on WT remains available with ease.

regards, Graham
Actually, the biggest image WT shows is 1500 pixels wide, FB will show (usually) 2048 if the owner uploaded it a that size, but I've seen 3000 pixels plus, not so pathetic, just different mediums for different folks. All you have to do is click the image to see it full screen and press escape to go back to the main thread.

Those same pictures of Neil's are also available on FB, they're almost twice the size, so if you think they're good here, you should see the full size renders.

I get why WT limits the size, but don't (unfairly) knock FB, it has it's down sides but small images is not one of them, so long as the owner posts them up large in the first place; small images on FB are not a FB issue, they're an uploader issue.

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The photo of the lane around the corner evokes memories, I am sure that fifty years back then I sat / swung on the gate.

Thank you for the photos; regards, Graham

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I remember seeing this at the Bristol show a few years ago and especially liked the way the the lane curved and sloped downwards, out of sight. :thumbs:

The scenic side of things is spot-on too! :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Thank you Mike.
There should be a tractor with driver and figure standing having a chat - would make a nice little cameo.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Whilst I’m working on the scenery of Christow (7mm scale) - images previously posted - one side of my client’s room, the fiddle yard side has been developed to take on the appearance of Bristol West Yard, in track plan, with the brickworks siding and other elements represented. It’s much compressed but our hope is to create a feel of the prototype.
Still very much unfinished and there will not be a backscene as such for this area.
The ‘black bridge’ was the work of Richard Ellis (Monks Gate Models) but it also had the hand of the late great Tony Reynalds in its construction.
C05932C2-9589-45C2-B13F-BA52EFB5A1E6.jpeg
A65C59C0-A693-4ECA-8036-82DFA9695ABB.jpeg
D4A25C16-E3B8-4A14-AE7F-58DFFAB9D5FB.jpeg045CD14B-DA45-4A7A-B5D1-C32B1BD15E34.jpeg

Last edited:

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
This is some of the latest scenery work I’ve undertaken as a collaboration with Paul Bambrick (Bambrick Studio) for a demonstration display at Warley Model Railway Show.
Its 4mm scale, OO, and an exercise in forced perspective modelling that Paul is expert in. The buildings are 2mm scale and the scene behind them is reduced still further.
It’s nominally titled ‘School Lane’, the red tiled building in the scene being a school.
We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend there, with thanks to our dear friend Nige Smith (and fellow team mate on other projects) for inviting us.

*Last three photos with the kind courtesy of Jeremy Frith
IMG_6433.jpegIMG_6444.jpegIMG_6445.jpegIMG_6436.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6434.jpeg
    IMG_6434.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Interesting (and attractive) curvature to the cabinet front!
What scale reduction front-to-back have you used?