Post WW2 London shows very tall loading on carts and wagon.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Memory not serving me here but....didn't Bedford once advertise that their products could be ''overloaded'' by several times? Without harm or damage?
Probably good marketing ploy for the Export market. ;)

Starting my 'proper' driving career in 1990, I didn't do a lot of sheeting, and never on an Artic, but did a fair bit of roping early on - after being taught the Dolly Knot of course!! It is an extremely rare skill now in the UK, I should imagine. Along with knowing how to use manual gearboxes, these days!! :rolleyes:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Not London but Lincoln - but still a tall load, and just look at that asphalt repair to the pavement!

There's also a Lincolnshire Road Car Co. Lodekka behind the load. Classic pavement repair though - remove the flags, dig a trench and finish with asphalt rather than the flags

alastairq

Probably good marketing ploy for the Export market. ;)

Starting my 'proper' driving career in 1990, I didn't do a lot of sheeting, and never on an Artic, but did a fair bit of roping early on - after being taught the Dolly Knot of course!! It is an extremely rare skill now in the UK, I should imagine. Along with knowing how to use manual gearboxes, these days!! :rolleyes:
When-I-worked [ a joke as far as I was concerned, really...It wasn't 'work'...it was, for the most part, a pleasure!] training/teaching military personnel on the ins & outs of using waggins, we would instruct on positioning & securing loads...[various].. ratchet straps were the 'norm'....but the RAF insisted on roping & sheeting as part of their course.....Lots of suitable training modules....[built up by ''us Instructors''....who used to annoy visiting senior civil servants [for that is what we are/were]...who had been known to refer to us experts as ''ruddy bunch of lorry drivers!''............Prone to peeing on their bonfires, we were]

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
....and anyone used chains and ratchets, we called them Sylvester's, and were used for bulk timber and steel loads on flatbed trailers.
You'd get three miles down the road and once the load had shaken down you had to stop and tighten it all up again !

The name Sylvester was the guy who invented them for removing pit props.

Col.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
....and anyone used chains and ratchets, we called them Sylvester's, and were used for bulk timber and steel loads on flatbed trailers.
You'd get three miles down the road and once the load had shaken down you had to stop and tighten it all up again !

The name Sylvester was the guy who invented them for removing pit props.

Col.
Got half of a Sylvester (just the long rack/chain without the moving bit) - never knew how it was supposed to work, but it kind of makes sense now!

These days its all ratchet chain load binders (typically with 10mm chain) - seems the lever type have been outlawed for a while on H&S grounds.
Ratchet load binder.jpeg
By the time I tried 4 years back to find 8 for a couple of ww2 American bomb trailer restorations the lever type had become unobtanium in the UK, but I was amazingly lucky to find the exact number of vintage binders under my nose in a local yard.
Lever load binder.jpg

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
These days its all ratchet chain load binders (typically with 10mm chain) - seems the lever type have been outlawed for a while on H&S grounds.

By the time I tried 4 years back to find 8 for a couple of ww2 American bomb trailer restorations the lever type had become unobtanium in the UK, but I was amazingly lucky to find the exact number of vintage binders under my nose in a local yard.
View attachment 207969
I did a few weeks Agency work on steel, and it was the latter, lever type clamps I had to use. They were called Dog-"something" (or "something"-dog!!) I forget exactly what now, but I remember using a short bit of scaffold bar to pull the lever over, and older driver's warnings about not being in line with it when you did, as if it kicked back, you would lose all your front teeth.
In recognition that I was 'only' an Agency driver, the Company made sure all my loads lay flat on the deck - I didn't have to carry any over-length stuff that was put at an angle, as that was trickier to secure, and I wasn't there long enough for them to bother training me.
A bit of scaffold bar was also useful on Container work, both for opening & closing the back doors. The sea air doesn't treat those locking bars very nicely.... One benefit of Container haulage was that you as the driver was not held liable for the state of the contents of the box. Useful for times like when I opened one up and several tons worth of plastic pellets spilled out the back, as the sacks they were in had fallen & split open.
Not Guilty, M'lud!! :thumbs: :)

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I refused to take a load of steel out of a yard once, the haulage firm I was working for was, for a short period, helping shift steel for a steel stockist out of the Baltic wharf on Wallasey Island on the R. Crouch. We would turn up with just the unit and tug their trailers all over the country, on this particular occasion the trailer with no head board was loaded with large section RSJ's with chains and to make matters worse it was raining so the deck was absolutely soaked. After the yard foreman had said to me" you'll be all right, just take it easy " I asked him what experience he'd had driving 40 tonners with no head board to which he replied non as he hadn't got a licence, he did not like being told to Foxtrot Oscar back into his office.
I phoned the Guv and he threw a few more F***s into him over the phone and they had to re-load it ! :D

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Some interesting stuff here that can be downloaded

I wonder what was in these crates.

large_000000.jpg

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Imagine a long haul with just those blackout headlights........:eek:
Imagine trying to blackout a loco footplate and fire at the same time!

adrian

Flying Squad
Not London but Lincoln - but still a tall load, and just look at that asphalt repair to the pavement!

It doesn't get any better with time - no joke less than 2 months after a new bypass and subsequent "pedestrianisation" of Broughton crossroads we got this trench running the entire length and this "brilliant" asphalt repair.Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 22.19.52.png

It must have been the main topic of parish council affairs for a long time because eventually 2 years later it was restored to it's former glory.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 22.20.27.png

Just a shame the fuel prices haven't returned to their former prices!!

adrian

Flying Squad
good to see the new houses really blend in
Don't worry that was another bone of contention that got the local nimby's frothing. In years gone by it was a traditional pub, The Golden Ball, it then subsequently became an in Indian Restaurant, A Touch of Spice. Very nice and our go to place for a curry.
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 22.47.59.png
That then shut down, it was then raided a year later as the new owners had turned it into a Cannabis farm! After lying derelict for a couple of years, bought by developers. After multiple rounds of development plans and objections, it's a smallish village nothing huge but a new bypass has re-invigorated a community feel. How on earth they managed to get the plans passed is beyond me but backhanders must have been involved so now they have this 3 storey complex in the village centre!!
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 22.48.40.png