Nick Dunhill's Workshop. Meteor Models Caledonian Railway 439 class.

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
So here we go on the next commission. The kit is an original Meteor Models kit now marketed by Alba Railway Models. It seems to be quite a decent kit, but comes from the era when we had Triang Hornby X04 motors sticking inside the cab of our Wills J39 on a Hornby 0-6-0 Jinty chassis. Very old school indeed, all very 1980s. The chassis frames are designed to be held apart by square bar spacers screwed in place. I dare say that it would make a running chassis but I didn't like the look of it and decided it would be more appropriate to make a new one.....with the consent of the client of course.

52654162818_b268e9fd1c_b.jpg

The model will be built to S7 gauge so I sent the wheels off to that nice Mr Dowling for an encounter with his wheel tyre S7 form tool, and in the meantime set off building the coupling rod and then the footplate. The first thing I noticed was that there's not much in the way of registration for the valences on the underside of the footplate. I cut some short bits of brass strip and tacked them to the underside of the footplate etch to butt the valence etch up to in the correct position. I noticed that the valences were slightly different lengths, and adjusted accordingly. This of course set an alarm ringing that, as with all old hand drawn etches, its a good idea to check measurements and for squareness.

52653952799_313e93715f_b.jpg

52654162683_318f2e3877_b.jpg

I moved on to the cab and bunker. I checked the sides for the above and noticed that one was slightly longer than the other, and that both were too long for the etched registration slots in the top of the footplate. I adjusted accordingly. The bunker rear was etched in 0.45 mm sheet and I thought I'd have a better chance of forming a nice flare at the top if I cut a new one from 0.3 mm sheet. I repurposed the bunker rear etch as a cab floor as there wasn't one in the kit. I also decided to make a new cab rear as the pre etched holes for the window bars were in the wrong place. Pictures show that the bars are attached to the beading round the windows and the etched holes in the kit part are above and below the beading. I just thought that it would be quicker to make a new one than modifying the etch. I also made the cab front and roof and added all the handrails and lamp irons etc.

52654119110_0ee0c0af3f_b.jpg

I didn't much like the coal rails etched onto the bunker sides and rear and made some new ones from half round brass rod.

52654223463_af92096cd2_b.jpg

The model will depict no 452 when new. If there are any CR buffs out there who could enlighten me as to the positions of lamp irons I'd be grateful. Some locos appeared to have more than others, particularly in the buffer beam area. Also I guess the loco had only Westinghouse air brakes when new, and didn't have any carriage heating pipes at that time. If anyone knows differently please let me know.

The next job was cutting out some new chassis frames.

52653680856_dd32308f71_b.jpg

You can see that I also started making a new bogie as the etched one in the kit is just too old school. More next week. Massive thanks to Martin Shaw, Robin McHugh and everyone else that has chipped in to help a Caledonian Railway novice.

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Work indeed continued on the bogie. Everything was scratchbuilt as the two side etches and stretcher might have been acceptable in the 1980s but I didn't much care for the simplicity of them. There is a big gap between the equalising beams that will be filled shortly with some 3D printed springs from the Mickoo stable.

52663292371_c4373eef0f_b.jpg

All the frame stays were hand cut and the chassis assembled. You can see that the chassis has been soldered up on a couple of parallels standing on a sheet of plate glass. There is a sheet of graph paper under the parallels to help get everything straight and square. I assembled an ashpan using the side etches in the kit and added a rear and bottom to add some more rigidity to the structure.

52663728130_46744ca478_b.jpg

52662791937_1e0d630ef6_b.jpg

The frame stays are all a bit random as there's no inside motion. I might well add some cylinder detail as I build the smokebox and work out where all the inside motion would have gone. I used my tried and tested jury axle method to attach the horn cheeks and a smooth running chassis was the result.

52663291856_3c7113faec_b.jpg

52663291866_15ee82a189_b.jpg

This is the chassis running round a 5ft 6 ins rad test track. It's a bit brutal for S7 but if it manages this it'll manage a more forgiving layout. The kit had no balance weights in the box so I made some.

52663785818_5b4b6466be_b.jpg

Here the body is fitted up and the horn blocks adjusted to achieve the correct ride height.

I had high(er) hopes than the ACE Reid Atlantic for this kit but so far it's a bit hit and miss. The chassis adventure is just because of my choice to ditch the stoneage parts in the kit. This is the original Meteor version and I expect that the current Alba Models version has had a few updates. The body so far is sort of OK. It's very basic and because it's hand drawn it suffers from all the 'thick pencil' issues. The cab/bunker sides aren't mirror images of each other, one is longer than the other and the cab front back and bunker rear don't fit. Some are too wide (which is ok) and some to narrow, which is a much bigger problem and nothing is perfectly square.

I don't think I'm going to use the tank sides or boiler/smokebox that are supplied. The tank sides are etched in 0.6 mm brass and its just too stiff to be able to get the curve near the top with any accuracy without a lump hammer. I'll replace it with thinner material. Likewise the boiler and smokebox. The smokebox ends at the top of the sand box in true Western-film-set style, and I never had much success at sweating 3 layers of cylindrical etches together. They always end up looking like a dog's dinner, so it'll be quicker and much nicer if I scratchbuild my way to the front. Maybe my expectations are too high, at least it would be possible to build something resembling a 439, but this kit is a bit meh in my view. The scrap bin will be getting heavier.

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Has anyone got any information about how the brake rigging is arranged on this loco? The whereabouts of the brake cylinder and brake shaft/trunnions? How many pull rods, one central or two?
Thanks
Nick

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Has anyone got any information about how the brake rigging is arranged on this loco? The whereabouts of the brake cylinder and brake shaft/trunnions? How many pull rods, one central or two?
Thanks
Nick
Single central pull rods below ashpan, compensated at driving axle brake beam. The transverse beams are quite substantial and low so the front one is very visible. The brake cylinder seems to be below the cab footplate, above the bogie with the linking levers threaded through between the leading bogie axle and bogie transom. All based on photos of 439 class locos and the GA of the 879 class (the condensing predecessor of the 439 class) published in Caledonian Railway Locomotives - The Classic Years by HJC Cornwell.

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
I was sent some very nice images of 439s and went on to install the brake gear (and pick-ups.) I later got a drawing of an 879 and saw that the pull rods were slightly different, so I modified what I had made and added some sand pipes. I may add some dummy inside motion later but for now the chassis is complete. It ran round a 5' 5'' radius curve, which is brutal for a S7 loco, so I was happy it would run on a more orthodox S7 layout.

52670195734_7fe8f5ae2a_b.jpg

52669406677_6d40f4035c_b.jpg

The boiler etches in the kit are a cylinder for the boiler and two curved overlay etches to represent the smokebox. Admittedly the lower half of the smokebox is hidden by the sandbox and splasher but I just didn't like the idea of smoke and mirror modelling, so made a new smokebox. It was actually a fairly quick job to fabricate a new smokebox, and probably not much longer than sweating 3 kit etches together and making good, and it looks MUCH better.

52670344275_1fb64f9dc0_b.jpg

The assembly was made in the way I have demonstrated on GOG's YouTube channel;

52669906551_a80997f4b1_b.jpg

52670344350_835e71c9ee_b.jpg

Next week I'll be making the short boiler and the water tanks. I did run a rule over the water tank front and rear (in the light of my experience with the cab/bunker sides) and discovered that the curve for the top of the boiler is different on both formers and they are different heights. Surely surely.......etc.

52670195869_1acf2c672f_b.jpg

52669435437_553b10f9e2_b.jpg

So more of the Meteor kit in the 'Bin of Shame' keeping the ACE Atlantic company.

Last edited:

Arun Sharma

Western Thunderer
So here we go on the next commission. The kit is an original Meteor Models kit now marketed by Alba Railway Models. It seems to be quite a decent kit, but comes from the era when we had Triang Hornby X04 motors sticking inside the cab of our Wills J39 on a Hornby 0-6-0 Jinty chassis. Very old school indeed, all very 1980s. The chassis frames are designed to be held apart by square bar spacers screwed in place. I dare say that it would make a running chassis but I didn't like the look of it and decided it would be more appropriate to make a new one.....with the consent of the client of course.

View attachment 179081

The model will be built to S7 gauge so I sent the wheels off to that nice Mr Dowling for an encounter with his wheel tyre S7 form tool, and in the meantime set off building the coupling rod and then the footplate. The first thing I noticed was that there's not much in the way of registration for the valences on the underside of the footplate. I cut some short bits of brass strip and tacked them to the underside of the footplate etch to butt the valence etch up to in the correct position. I noticed that the valences were slightly different lengths, and adjusted accordingly. This of course set an alarm ringing that, as with all old hand drawn etches, its a good idea to check measurements and for squareness.

View attachment 179082

View attachment 179083

I moved on to the cab and bunker. I checked the sides for the above and noticed that one was slightly longer than the other, and that both were too long for the etched registration slots in the top of the footplate. I adjusted accordingly. The bunker rear was etched in 0.45 mm sheet and I thought I'd have a better chance of forming a nice flare at the top if I cut a new one from 0.3 mm sheet. I repurposed the bunker rear etch as a cab floor as there wasn't one in the kit. I also decided to make a new cab rear as the pre etched holes for the window bars were in the wrong place. Pictures show that the bars are attached to the beading round the windows and the etched holes in the kit part are above and below the beading. I just thought that it would be quicker to make a new one than modifying the etch. I also made the cab front and roof and added all the handrails and lamp irons etc.

View attachment 179084

I didn't much like the coal rails etched onto the bunker sides and rear and made some new ones from half round brass rod.

View attachment 179085

The model will depict no 452 when new. If there are any CR buffs out there who could enlighten me as to the positions of lamp irons I'd be grateful. Some locos appeared to have more than others, particularly in the buffer beam area. Also I guess the loco had only Westinghouse air brakes when new, and didn't have any carriage heating pipes at that time. If anyone knows differently please let me know.

The next job was cutting out some new chassis frames.

View attachment 179086

You can see that I also started making a new bogie as the etched one in the kit is just too old school. More next week. Massive thanks to Martin Shaw, Robin McHugh and everyone else that has chipped in to help a Caledonian Railway novice.
Nick - I'm guessing that if you are going to redraw the chassis etch, then you would also redraw the coupling rods at the same time on the same etch?

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob. Thanks all info very gratefully recieved.
Hi Arun. I'm not going to commission any etches for the job, but if I were to I'd do both chassis and rods.... and everything else!

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
First up this week was a scratchbuilt boiler.

52679122749_b055d5a3c7_b.jpg

Worth the effort I think. I cut out a thick brass circle and radiused one edge to represent the cover thing that you often find between the boiler and smokebox.

52679272595_6be0bdd683_b.jpg

I soldered everything together with a couple of boiler bands and stuffed it with lead sheet.

Further checks on the front and rear bulkheads revealed them to be too narrow and have an uneasy relationship with a right angle. I cut some more out that were the correct size. The tank sides were also not long enough! They were also etched in 0.6 mm brass which makes forming the tight curve an ordeal so I cut some of those out of 0.3 mm N/S too.

The painter, bless him, asked if I could supply the boiler as a separate part to aid painting the lining on the front of the tanks and the cab. I built the front bulkhead with some holes to accept rods sticking out of the boiler rear. I also added some structures to the front bulkhead such that you can't see the motor and backs of the rear drivers under the boiler.

52678325767_db03078de3_b.jpg

Next the tank sides were formed and soldered in place. There was quite a lot of cleaning up as the etched grooves in the footplate to accept the tanks (and cab) are quite wide and deep and need a lot of solder to fill them. Big meniscus....scrape, scrape, sand etc. This job wasn't anywhere near as tricky as the tank/boiler top thing though.

52678325677_8588b0a91b_b.jpg

52678325602_19caac6c9c_b.jpg

52678838096_ab17c4795d_b.jpg

Back to the painter Warren. I obliged, but it did mean building the splashers onto the smokebox. The assembly slots onto the front footplate and is held firmly by a screw underneath.

52679333638_d99e5fc4ef_b.jpg

52678838091_353e790801_b.jpg

Don't think I'll use the dome, as it's a bit oval......well that and other issues.

Attachments

• 52678325602_19caac6c9c_b.jpg
    52678325602_19caac6c9c_b.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 12

Daddyman

Western Thunderer
Very nicely done! Any tips on forming the tank/boiler-top clothing?

I wonder if you're the first ever to do this feature properly...

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
I made the top panel from 0.3 mm NS. You can manipulate the thinner material it a bit more using rods to form the curves. The rectangle is a couple of mm bigger in both directions and trimmed to fit when you have the correct profile.

Just a bit of care and offering it up a lot and adjusting a bit at a time. Lots of practise is the key....

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
I started at one side and did the upwards curve with a 10 mm rod then the big boiler curve with a 22 mm rod. All by hand, I'm not sure rolling bars are the tool to use. You have to form the curves a bit at a time and offer up. Trim to size at the end.

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
I should also mention the curves are just formed by bending the sheet over various diameter rods (or drill shanks) by hand. I don't have many fancy tools.

Daddyman

Western Thunderer
Many thanks for that, Nick. Can't remember which way I did it when I tried it a few years ago, but I found one curve kept undoing the other - there wasn't room to get one formed before it needed to transition into the other. But that was in 4mm. Next time I'll try starting at one side as you suggest.

No, I don't have many grown-ups' tools either.

paratom

Western Thunderer
Nice work Nick. Do you use a pantograph miller for any of your work. I'm lucky enough to have access to a laser cutter to produce my templates for the pantograph.

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi, no I don't have a pantograph (or any type of) mill. These are ny weapons of choice.

Attachments

• 16760386235562760193683237025406.jpg
    16760386235562760193683237025406.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 62

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Well I have added quite a lot of detail to the model. This began by making one of those Masonic star thingies that appeared on a lot of pre grouping Scottish locos.

52692310357_b59a79cbb2_b.jpg

52692310362_34dbd31ba1_b.jpg

There were no added traumas this week as I had finished all the scratchbuilding (apart from the valve chest cover, and......). The handrail was fitted round the smokebox with all the accoutrements.

52693097674_a176a0f2be_b.jpg

Some 3D printed springs were added to the chassis and bogie.

52692830436_81b67b0690_b.jpg

I fitted up the Westinghouse pump and all the pipework.

52693242175_361bfd7d4a_b.jpg

All the boiler fittings, both brass castings and 3D prints were fitted and that's where we are now. Just need to add some handrails and the whole cab interior.

52693321433_30d57527fe_b.jpg

52693321453_239d46f334_b.jpg

Should be done in a couple or three days.

Last edited: