Nick Dunhill's Workshop. Meteor Models Caledonian Railway 439 class.

Daddyman

Western Thunderer
Lovely work.

Note that the real thing has what I think are tank water level gauges running down the tank rears, in the angle where they meet the cab. Thought I had a photo but can't find one at present.

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Richard,

I also use a sanding disc, with a pendant drill. At times it's a great alternative to a file, for example removing etching cusps and cleaning up brass castings. Its just been used for removing excess resin casting sprue on an MM1 kit.

atb

Tim

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Thanks Michael. I do this full-time 40 hrs/week so a lot of it is just practise, and not being afraid of tossing stuff in the scrap bin and starting again.

Exasperating......I am just coming up to the 4 week anniversary of the build, which is ridiculous for a 0-4-4T build from a kit. It's friday afternoon and I thought...a nice easy job to finish the week folding up the lockers and sand boxes in the corners of the cab. No, no they don't fit, they're too small! FFS the loco exists, if you're going to produce a kit at least go and measure the thing and make the parts fit. AAArgh!

52694320751_9e6daff582_b.jpg

The saw is back out of it's box and the bill gets higher and higher.....unnecessarily. Perhaps the designer would like to make a contribution to the build costs?

Hi Daddyman, I added the water gauge this morning. I mark out in the usual lazy way using vernier calipers as a scriber and cut as close to the line as I dare. Then I use the sanding disk to clean up to the line and make the shite etchings fit where I can.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Thanks Michael. I do this full-time 40 hrs/week so a lot of it is just practise, and not being afraid of tossing stuff in the scrap bin and starting again.

Exasperating......I am just coming up to the 4 week anniversary of the build, which is ridiculous for a 0-4-4T build from a kit. It's friday afternoon and I thought...a nice easy job to finish the week folding up the lockers and sand boxes in the corners of the cab. No, no they don't fit, they're too small! FFS the loco exists, if you're going to produce a kit at least go and measure the thing and make the parts fit. AAArgh!

The saw is back out of it's box and the bill gets higher and higher.....unnecessarily. Perhaps the designer would like to make a contribution to the build costs?

Hi Daddyman, I added the water gauge this morning. I mark out in the usual lazy way using vernier calipers as a scriber and cut as close to the line as I dare. Then I use the sanding disk to clean up to the line and make the shite etchings fit where I can.
It does seem that a lot of these old kits were designed :rolleyes: ? by hobbyists without an ounce of draughtsmanship !
I've seen this similar problem in the building trade where somebody wakes up one day and decides to build their own house and project manage it even though they have absolutely no knowledge of anything close to a brick or piece of 4x2 .

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Like a number of kits. They look good in the box until you try to solder it together.

I have a kit in my pile and I can see how the customer was seduced by the look of the 3D printed backhead and separate 3D fittings. In reality it'll all end up in the bin and I'll use brass castings. I'm also willing to bet that when you blow paint on the backhead it'll be layery and I'll end up scratchbuilding one of them too.

You can't tell how good they are until you start soldering. I deserve a decent kit next.....anybody any idea how good the Alpha Graphics SECR P class is?

The ACE Atlantic was a -1 on the 0 to 10 scale. This Meteor 439 is a 2 at best. Neither of merchantable quality. If you've done an AG P class where does it rate on the scale?

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Like a number of kits. They look good in the box until you try to solder it together.

I have a kit in my pile and I can see how the customer was seduced by the look of the 3D printed backhead and separate 3D fittings. In reality it'll all end up in the bin and I'll use brass castings. I'm also willing to bet that when you blow paint on the backhead it'll be layery and I'll end up scratchbuilding one of them too.

You can't tell how good they are until you start soldering. I deserve a decent kit next.....anybody any idea how good the Alpha Graphics SECR P class is?

The ACE Atlantic was a -1 on the 0 to 10 scale. This Meteor 439 is a 2 at best. Neither of merchantable quality. If you've done an AG P class where does it rate on the scale?
Nick, I bought one (two actually) and documented my build on the G0G forum - not sure if this link will work. https://www.gaugeoguild.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/alphagraphix-p-tank-loco-kit.7747/
I didn't much care for the design, with solid footplate and tank fronts and top, so did my own thing. Lost my mojo when I discovered at a late stage that the bunker was too narrow. 80EDFB88-5550-4BE5-8904-512B1EE8DD8A.jpeg10C6BBC5-E4B9-4ABC-AC91-5FF8ECB3781C.jpeg

Last edited:

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul
Just skimmed your thread. The bunker is seriously too short. Looks like the solution is to Make a new, longer, footplate and valence etc then a new cab side.

Or is it that the cab is too big and the footplate the correct size? Do you have a drawing?

Thanks

Nick

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul
Just skimmed your thread. The bunker is seriously too short. Looks like the solution is to Make a new, longer, footplate and valence etc then a new cab side.

Or is it that the cab is too big and the footplate the correct size? Do you have a drawing?

Thanks

Nick
I canna' lay my hand on the supplied drawing, but at the end of my build, David Austin (who built a v.nice representation of Folkestone harbour) posted some scans which may help highlight where the discrepancy arises. Here's one of his images :
E89A39A6-FCCA-4D36-A57E-CCF3FD715C34.png

BTW, I also added what appears to be a water level indicator to the rhs

059B31FE-1C19-4C23-A562-5B5309C101C7.jpeg

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer

I'd of given the Ace Atlantic a big 0 !

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Hi John
They aren't ones that I bought. The clients buy them and pay me to make them, often with some upgrades. I seem to be in a run of crap kits though. MSL EM2, ACE NBR atlantic and now a Meteor 439.

I live in hope.

Last edited:

Nick Dunhill

Western Thunderer
Paul
Looks like the footplate (and chassis?) is the correct length and the cab door too wide. I like what you did with the footplate and tanks and I will do the same.

Or maybe I'll kick this can down the road and build a little Agenoria.

Cheers

Nick