7mm Millicent Street

Rippers

Western Thunderer
Well, let’s just say it looks like it didn't happen by accident.
There is indeed a plan. Though that plan has fortunately proved fluid at times when odd things had arrived to be added that weren't quite as first intended. That said it is coming together and starting to look like a layout now.

Rippers

Western Thunderer
With work on the disused signal box scene well on the way to completion. Thoughts are now turning to how best to present the adjoining (unfinished) roadway.
20240204_133059.jpg
Hence the experimentation with mock ups for advertising hoardings and positioning of vehicles and street furniture. These help me visualise the finished arangement before creating the actual detailled vehicles etc to add.
20240204_133011.jpg
The positioning of the van and truck work well to help mask the joint between baseboard and backscene from most public viewing angles. If I progress with this arrangement, the van would be a Hull Telephones engineers van and the truck a timber carrier or similar of a local prototype business.

simond

Western Thunderer
At risk of invoking a cliche, would some road works and a flat-capped bloke with a stop-go board simultaneously block the view of the join, and a rationale for the static vehicles?

on which theme, “how do you spot the dyslexic Yorkshireman?”
he’s the one wearing the cat-flap.

Rippers

Western Thunderer
I’m with Simon. I’d prefer vehicles placed in static positions, and not frozen driving positions.
Yup. Already thought of that. The truck nicely blocks the road both ways. Thoughts are of a less forced cameo of the telephone engineer from the van assisting a little old lady who had dropped her shopping in the middle of the road in front of it. Hence holding everything up.

timbowales

Western Thunderer
A bit late now but modelling rural Wales avoids the need to consider vehicles on the road at all, just lots of sheep on the hillsides…..
Tim T

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Yup. Already thought of that. The truck nicely blocks the road both ways. Thoughts are of a less forced cameo of the telephone engineer from the van assisting a little old lady who had dropped her shopping in the middle of the road in front of it. Hence holding everything up.

I would go with the Hull Telephones van parked up ready to service the phone box (you could even have a telephone junction cabinet here as well) and a post office van parked next to the post box ready to empty it. That'll be enough to block the road and a reason for static vehicles.

I'd also avoid the Pompeii effect i.e. animated people and animals. Ideally people and animals should be in a natural 'at rest' pose and the fewer the better. In my view too many layouts are overpopulated, unless it's market day or a rush hour platform!

Last edited:

djparkins

Western Thunderer
I would go with the Hull Telephones van parked up ready to service the phone box (you could even have a telephone junction cabinet here as well) and a post office van parked next to the post box ready to empty it. That'll be enough to block the road and a reason for static vehicles.

I'd also avoid the Pompeii effect i.e. animated people and animals. Ideally people and animals should be in a natural 'at rest' pose and the fewer the better. In my view too many layouts are overpopulated, unless it's market day or a rush hour platform!
I agree with this - both as regards figures and vehicles. I remember reading an article way back in the 1960s in Model Railway Constructor in which the contributor said he felt no desire to populate his platforms with passengers who treat each service 'with icy disdain'. Very true, I feel.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
I can do no more than echo the sentiments expressed by everyone else, truly outstanding. One perhaps overlooked feature is that signal posts would probably still be around albeit without arms, especially on a bit of the railway still in use, perhaps you may care to consider one each side of the gates which would be prototypical for a presumably double line originally.
Martin