Mike G's Workspace.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Rivets done and 48 hinges added. No ordinary hinge either, not your Comet styled hinge...no. These have the 4 bolts on a separate etch, which you thread the hinge through into the body side. Just another 48 to go. I'm developing some really hard skin on my left fore finger, either that or the nerve endings are already fried!

Siphon O33 hinges.jpg

This really is a game of patience. The really good thing is theres no faffing about getting the hinges to thread through the bolted etch. Time for a lie down and a rub over with a damp radio times.
And I'd like to wish my gorgeous wife a Happy Sixtieth Birthday. I can put that on here as she'll never read it, still 59 according to her.

Stay safe

Mike

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I find the Sporting Life more invigorating Mike.

That reminds me of a neighbour who's wife, according to herself, is 5ft 13 1/2 inches. There is also, of course, the standard measurement for infinity which is eleventy eight million or maybe 42......

In any event a Happy 60th to your wife, although somewhat remotely.

Brian

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Mike,
Belated Happy Birthday to your wife. I hope you both celebrated in an age appropriate (good food and excess alcohol, loud rock music, etc.) way.
Congratulations on your new job.
And, I hope your finger tips recover sufficiently to continue the fine (literally) work on the syphon(s?).
Dave.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave that's very kind of you.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...work, the curse of the modelling classes!

All 96 hinges are now on and the strengthening parts of the uprights for each door bottom are on as well. I wish I was a better photographer to do the work that's gone into these etches justice. And yes, this is after washing!

Siphon O33 sides.jpg

Not complete by any means, but I think I'm past burning my finger now. How some fellas do this in 7mm I'll never know!! There are times when only a digit will hold something in place and you just got to suck it up. In this case I think it's been worth it.
I'll have to read the manual to see where I go next.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Apologies for the lack of progress, work is really busy and I'm knackered by the time I get home to do anything. This friday was different, an early finish and a jaunt up to Tewkesbury. I took all my engines that I'd built during the last year to test them on Barrow Road.

Std Class 7
Std Class 5
GWR 2251
GWR 56xx * 2
GWR 42xx

The problem with having a layout that's a metre long is...that it's just a meter long. Robin Whittles layout is much..much longer. So first my thanks to Robin for giving up some time to allow these engines the freedom of his roads.
The results were not as expected...

2251 which runs like a dream on the plank was a complete loss, stuttering all over the place and in some places refusing to run at all. So, work to be done on the pick ups, when it did run it was really smooth.

56xx * 2 ditto. Interestingly though, the better of the two was the Comet chassis. This is probably down to the fact I laid the pick ups out differently on this.

Std class 7 - Brittania - runs really well at full throttle and held the road well, but suffers from a lack of traction. I suspect that the front bogie and rear pony are set too high to allow the drivers to fully grip the rails. On the positive side no wheels came off the track and it didn't stall when crawling. So an encouraging start to the end of a long project.

GWR 42xx, which ran ok on the plank - nothing special - was the star performer! Ran like the proverbial Swiss watch, really pleased with this. Never stalled and didn't fall in the water either. Back of the net Brian!

I didn't run the Std cl 5, I'd had enough humiliation for one day. And as you know, the front bogie still requires attention to allow all the wheels to turn. So this may also require more weight over the front as well as a new bogie. This has now been received form the etchers (thank you Justin Newitt for doing that for me) and needs to be made up and fitted.

So not a complete dissaster, and nothing that's unsolvable. So, my current thinking is to tackle the Brit first, as that's going to need a fair bit of soldering done to it. Then a good think on how to do the pick ups for 2251 and the 56's. Any ideas would be appreciated.

My thanks again to Robin Whittle for a superb day out and to Morgan Gilbert for pointing me in the right direction to solve the many issues. This was our first meeting in nearly 16 months and I've really missed the contact with my friends. Thank you both for making it such a great time. And lastly, it would be remiss of me not to thank Liz (Rob's wife) for the superb cake - even if it wasn't a fruit cake - and the raspberry iced tea.
Looking forward to next month when we do it all again, assuming we don't find ourselves in another lock down!

Stay safe, it really is still out there.

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
On with the O33 Siphon for the time being. So this all the time I get to do modeling, now on a Friday evening for a couple of hours, gotta be honest it's killing me not being able to devote the time I want to. And so the grass is always greener on the otherside...I'll bet there's a fare few of you who recognise these symptoms :rolleyes:. I have to admitt to enjoying my job at CAF.

So, this evening I've got to the 4 sided box stage plus the grab handles of various lengths. I have to admitt to finding this an awful faff. I've built goodness knows how many Comet coaches over the years without a hitch. Put 3 supporting brass compartments into the sides and little snicks out of the edges at the end and instead of the end staying put with a tri-square it pops out all over the place. Any way both ends are in. And it's all square and the roof fits as well, so that's nice isn't it.:)

Siphon O33 grabs and ends.jpg

I know what some of you are going to say, those handles sit out too far. They are 1.5mm above the sides, a scale 6 inches, but I have to admitt that they do look high and if they get on my nerves I shall deal with them. They also look too chunky to my eye as well, I have used 0.4mm NS, but it does look thick.
Onto the interesting part next - the underframe. I love detailing the bottom side of coaches, no it won't be seen, yes it takes a lot of time to add proper brake rigging. But...I know it's there. Enough melodrama for one evening.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Having been holiday to Radstock / Paulton for the last fortnight with all the family, I'm back at the bench. The house we rented in Paulton was fabulous with everything a 7 month and 2 and a half year old could want. The fact that the S&D heritage centre was a 3 minute drive from the house never entered my head when we rented the place. :)

The underframe was together the last time I did anything before going on holiday and now I've started adding the glorious detail...which will never be seen. As with the rest of this build, it's all fitted first time. Very impressed with some of the ideas that Ian has come up with.

Siphon O33 Underframe 1.jpg

The only thing I'm deviating from are the bogies. Mine shall be Bill Bedford sprung which is why I chose to stick with these lumps of brass from Comet - and they add weight to the chassis. Which reminds me I need to buy more lead. If you're wondering why this isn't shaped like a banana, that's because I use a very basic jig that makes sure that any heat applied cannot distort the frame.
I've also taken the oppourtunity to do what needed to be done to my Brit, I'm off to Tewkesbury tomorrow for more running trials, the other engines will just have to wait their turn. I also had back my new front bogie for the Std class 5 - thanks Justin for getting that etched. So, still loads more to do.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Back from Barrow Road, with some very encouraging findings. My Britannia - that I've been working on for 10 years or more - has finally given in and started to run smoothly. This beast is fully sprung from the front bogie, the CSB's that the drivers are set upon to the pony that I designed, even the tender is sprung.
I wasn't the one to find the problem, that was down to my friend Morgan Gilbert. It was noticed that the front wheels on the sprung bogie, were dragging, going forward and rotating going backward. Now you may think - as I did - that this is down to weight distribution over the bogie. And you'd be wrong.

The front bogie creation is from the Masokits stable. I have a very healthy respect for Mike Clarke and his inovations. In the kit there is a provision for restraining sideplay in the bogie so that it stears the engine through its cornering. On other engines that I have used this same bogie construction there have never been any problems. The material used is 0.3 mm steel sprung wire. Morgan observed that this wire was very 'tight' in the pivot area of the bogie and he has removed this wire on some of his own engines. Now I'm no engineer, I'm pretty good with numbers, but understanding moments and friction, nah, completely over my head.
The spring around the pivot was removed and then re-assembled to the chassis. The transformation was unbelievable. I did take video, but it's just a chassis moving around the layout and I'd rather show the completed engine next month. As usual when you dismantle a complex piece...things come adrift. My thanks to Morgan for a clever bit of observation and deduction. Just goes to show, don't believe everything you read and sometimes what used to work years ago, will still work today.

I did however take video of my 45xx and my completed B set. Again another train completed for my Hengoed layout. Sooner or later I'm going to have to start building baseboards and building track! This formation is based upon another photo that I have.

My thanks to Robin Whittle for letting me steal more time on the rails and to Morgan for all the help he's given. Onwards and upwards.

Stay safe

Mike

AJC

Western Thunderer
That's great news, Mike - you can't beat the combination of running time and an external observer to help out work out why something isn't quite working as it should: sometimes it's blindingly obvious, in hindsight, but often it's not (and leading/trailing axles are always nerve-wracking). The prairie looks great, and will be even better one the bufferheads aren't shiny. ;) - and don't forget to polish off the machining marks on those sprung heads, it makes a world of difference to the appearance.

Adam

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Mike, the 45xx and B set are running beautifully - you must be rightly very pleased. Good news, too, regarding the Brit. Bogies and trucks can certainly cause problems with road holding. I think there will be some trial and error adjustments required with my Scot in order to get the bogie to stay on round curves and through point work.
Dave.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
I've been doing more work on the siphon, which has taken the form of turning the telly off and going and doing something more useful. The hour that I've grabbed before going up the wooden hill has proved to be most fruitful.

Siphon O33 brake rigging.jpg

If I had actually stopped and thought about this - instead I ploughed in - I'd have built a series of sub structures to thread together. But I didn't and this is where I am now. I thought I was going to have a problem threading everything up, but I haven't, instead I've been amazingly lucky and all the 0.3mm wire popped through the right holes first time. I now assume the Euromillions is mine on Friday!
I'm off to play with my Grandson tomorrow evening so no more work till Friday evening.

Just as a warning, I have had 2 positive cases in work this week, so please be careful...

Stay safe

Mike

If there are any modern image modellers reading this and they want really up close photos of the latest units going into service then please PM me. Auto couplers, water tanks, toilets, air brake cylinders (they come in an unbelievable tangle), motor bogies etc...

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Mike, the 45xx and B set are running beautifully - you must be rightly very pleased. Good news, too, regarding the Brit. Bogies and trucks can certainly cause problems with road holding. I think there will be some trial and error adjustments required with my Scot in order to get the bogie to stay on round curves and through point work.
Dave.

Dave

I've now had a good look at the wire in my other locos using this Masokits bogie and it appears that the wire is a LOT softer around the pivot. By that I mean that, with very gentle pressure from my pinky it will move without any resistence. Once the weight goes on the bogie from the body the resistance will obviously become greater. So... the softer the tension when not under weight the better. That's my theory anyway. But as a lesson learned I will still use the Masokits system but I shall probably use phos bronze wire instead of steel.

Love the progress on the Scot, a very fine piece of modelling. A beautiful engine captured by a wonderful model.

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Doesn't time fly if you don't pay attention? Over month has gone by since I last wrote a post. I'm in the throws of finishing this handsome beast of burden. Hence the title of the photos...'nearly'.

The roof is on the body, this wasn't without a few hickups. The roof has been pre-shaped and is a very rough guideline to the ends. A bit of bendification is required to make it a comfy fit. So if you've never had to wrestle with a brass roof before, be encouraged as this one was a piece of cake compared to some that I have tustled with (and eventually brought out the family flame thrower to make them surcome to the proper shape). No fear of such extremes here.

GWR Siphon Nearly finished body.jpg

Yes - it still needs another good clean. Still a few bits to hang off the inderframe as you can see. The rainstrips had been one thing I had been a little perturbed about as these are soldered to the roof. No need to worry, Ian had thought about sighting the strips in the right place. It took longer to get rid of the half etch tags and smooth the cuts than it did to solder these in place.

GWR Siphon Nearly finished bogies.jpg

This was the fun bit. Adding all the detail, I do like a busy underframe. Believe it or not this has had a good wash. I can see I'm going to have to resort to my ever demininshing store of Jiff powder and some interdental brushes to shift some of this. I was glad when this was over as much as I enjoyed it, I had to use my super strength glasses to see what I was doing.
The Bill Bedford sprung bogies have been completed and put in a box to stop them escaping from the desk top. So this really is the nearly finished build post. As I said a few bits to hang off the chassis, a few bits to finish on the ends and the whitemetal casting to attach to the bogies. All followed by a long cleaning session.

I have been back to Barrow Road in the meantime as well. I wish I could say that it all went well, but I'd be lying. The Brit having been a free running chassis with all the flappy bits going in the right directions, at the right times, became an immovable monster. I think a few sharp words are going to be spoken to this engine. The Std class 5, ran, stopped and refused to run again. But at least I know how to fix this problem and I have a big enough file to help me! But that's what makes this hobby such infuriating fun and I wouldn't have it any other way. If it worked like something out of a box, what would be the point?
Enough drivel...

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Completed all the outstanding jobs, so other than putting the corridor connectors on - which won't be done untill after painting - this is done. I've added Masokits screw couplings. Bending up all 8 door rails was great fun. I wouldn't be without my Bedford bending wire jig, makes repitious jobs like this a piece of cake.

Siphon O33 finished 1.jpg

Siphon O33 finished 2.jpg

An absolutely cracking kit, which has built a very pleasing prototype model.

Off to Tewkesbury on Friday, and there are about to be some stiff words exchanged with some of my engines. Hopefully it won't all end in tears - most of all mine!
I think it's time to pay more attention to the number of engine failures and sort them out next. As much as I want to build my M set for Hengoed.

Stay safe

Mike

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
So back from Barrow Road and the Brit has been passed on to more experienced hands than mine. Wouldn't budge, not even a wheel slip. I just can't believe that putting the body onto the chassis would turn the engine into a pile of rubbish. What's more frustrating is that I can't see a problem.
In better news..I have a converted Heljan class 52 converted to P4. I've never run it...so:

I paired it with the siphon I'd finished, these 2 ran for 20 minutes without a problem. Really pleased with both performers. The 52 gave great control and a really good turn of speed.

The other clip I'm posting here is of 3 of Robins trains, I have his permission to do this. In the clip are a Patriot, an 8f and LMS compound. 2 of these engines have had sound chips added to them. Now I have been very sceptical over this, and also the high price for kit that is involved in delivering the sound. Having driven these trains, I can honestly say that the sound adds to the illusion that is being created.

Big thanks to Robin and Morgan Gilbert for a fantastic couple of hours of fun.

Stay safe

Mike

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hello Mike,

Don’t be too discouraged: the body/chassis interface on any loco is an opportunity for all sorts of unforeseen, ineffable gremlins to assert themselves. I’ve a Peckett in a box that is still suffering from that problem - a simple inside cylinder 0-6-0 - and what needs doing to resolve matters is quite simple (some ballast weight needs moving to allow the motor mounting to fit properly), but I’m a little hacked off with it and haven’t touched it since my son was born almost two years ago. That chassis works fine, as I think you said the Brit does. That’s the hard bit, a little assistance will, I’m sure, work wonders.

Love the Siphon, great work.

Adam

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
I've just realised that I have assumed that the siphon should be painted in GW coach brown....but is that correct? Any help appreciated.

Mike