4mm Micro layout

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The demise of the micro was premature, the track is in place and working but most of the stock has gone as has the nautical-junk. In its place, Tilly’s Autos makes a re-appearance, the rest is unclear.

tillys1.jpg

A subject such as a mucky urban backstreet…..something different.

Last edited:

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
The demise of the micro was premature, the track is in place and working but most of the stock has gone as has the nautical-junk. In its place, Tilly’s Autos makes a re-appearance, the rest is unclear.

51626A6A-297A-4986-AFF0-02FD1B655193.jpeg

A subject such as a mucky urban backstreet…..something different.
Hi Tim,

Does this mean the WBLR is still alive and kicking? I do hope so!

All the best,

Mark

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
The micro needs a ‘theme’ and ideas have been rather lacking of late. Until, whilst clearing out the detritus an envelope marked 'Chandler's Row sign' appeared from nowhere and it contained a laser-cut layout name. I should have mentioned that sometime ago, I planned a micro based on Poole Quay on which there stood a chandlers, hence the odd name.

poole%20quay.jpg
The other odd connection is a water colour of Poole Quay featuring the Customs House in a corner of the painting is the old chandlers, the painting has been in the family since WW2, careful comparison of the images will reveal the chandlers, replete with columns. In a strange twist of fate, our home for the past quarter of a century is located in Chandlers, Sherborne.

20160521_Poole_Customs_House_updated.jpg

The line ran amongst the backstreets of Poole from the main station to the quay until closure in the '60s. Two of the steam locos used on the system have been preserved, one 'Bonnie Prince Charlie' resides at the Didcot Steam centre.
poole%20quay_B4.jpg

One of Bournemouth's resident B4s on its way back to Poole station after shunting the quay.

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
And another good idea ends in failure.

Whilst exhibiting might be impossible due to health issues, the micro layout still remains in the workshop under a pile of stuff that was displaced when the roundy-roundy was removed.

Now that access to the workshop has been restored, thanks to safety handrails (thank you DCC) modelling work is once more a possibility except not in the direction that started this sorry adventure. Instead, inspiration from Neil Rushby in the form of his Belgian HO masterpiece had a positive outcome, moreover in the pile of HO bits for Pottendorf, there is a dock shunter and a lovely 2D warehouse and shopfront.

Finally, this guy, Martin Mueller, makes some incredibly good resin kits of buildings of the locale which interests me. Hopefully, he might sell some frontages?

Tim

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I've often looked at the later 4mm OO gauge offerings for a micro layout but always put off by the incorrect scale/RTR track gauge combination. Hence sticking to my preferred German HO.

Jim Read

Hello Tim,

I've just read this thread through and I saw your plea for building fronts. I have always liked Light Railways their idiosyncratic stories are so much more entertaining than their main line counterparts, spidery track, old locos and mismatched rolling stock to name but a few.

I admire Osney Town which is quayside scene.
It is possible to turn this pic from Sheffield
52002014947_5196a417c8_c.jpg
Into this
52003556875_4c762e76d3_c.jpg
Using Photoshop if you have it, it's not too difficult.
There are also lots of buildings here on Marcel Wifwinkel's site certain sizes being free and for a small fee large sizes.

I'd gladly do a how to screencast it would be at least half an hour though with lots of steps, but mostly repetitive.

Cheers - Jim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Bamberg_Hafen_Speicher_012007.jpg864DA4C0-85A1-4568-B8F4-350B393526A2.jpg

Hi,

Amongst the gems in the ‘roundtoit’ cupboard was this unopened kit of a low relief warehouse from Artitec, it will look good with Neil’s warehouse.

Just need to decide what other buildings are needed to fill the remaining space, possibly another l long two storey warehouse facade albeit devoid of too many features except for one of those odd lucam structures. Maybe a very, very much cut-down version of this magnificent building featured at the top of the post, it is part of Bamberg Bayernhafen, just one of the stunning dormer sections?

Tim