4mm Micro layout

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim,

Could you please let me have details of your clinker built boats, I could do with a couple for Pottery Quay.

Thanks

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
And there was me thinking that the "link" to the models was "Bees Knees"...

For those who are not of a certain age, just smile and go on modelling..

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Yesterday evening the roof was painted with artist's burnt sienna, when dry it was much too 'bold' and needed letting down.

This is just after a wash of DecorArt Amish Grey that is well-diluted but still wet, it will change colour when fully dry.

IMG_1053.JPG

Still lots to do, weathering for the clapboard.

Tim

Last edited:

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Yesterday evening the roof was painted with artist's burnt sienna, when dry it was much too 'bold' and needed letting down.

This is just after a wash of DecorArt Amish Grey that is well-diluted but still wet, it will change colour when fully dry.

IMG_0973a.jpg

Still lots to do, a chair for the stoop and weathering for the clapboard.

Tim
This is looking splendid, Tim, the wall colour is nicely understated but the wiggly tin roof is superb! Many thanks for sharing.

Kind regards,

Mark

steve1

Western Thunderer
Just to prove me wrong (again) these popped up on a certain website, my best guess is that they are resin repros of the original American metal castings. The third image are Unit Models metal castings, very nice and UK based. I have absolutely no idea what the first ‘blob’ is supposed to represent but all small boatyards seem to have something similar.

Tim

Crap1.jpg

Crap2.jpg

UM%20OO-151sml.jpg
Tim,

I have some whitemetal castings of engine parts sitting about doing nowt. Technically they are HO but they look ok.

PM me if you want them.

steve

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
The wonky roof adds a bit of character to the building.
Agreed! Its a lovely little building.

I was in my LMS last week and happened to see one of the PECO kits which, incredibly, found its way into my purchases..... :)

Cheers,
Mark

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Strange how different things look in different lighting conditions, but the workshop looks great, and the wonky workbench is a nice addition. I love the RNLI posters, too!

Mark

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Sunday morning in the shed,

Selecting figures has been a bit pragmatic, not sure what constitutes a ‘typical’ Col. Stephens employee, presumably the gentleman in charge of the tiny station at the end of line however insignificant would wear some type of uniform, possibly rather outdated. He is also the only employee on site, arriving by bicycle but leaving aboard the last train of the day.

This figure was made for one of the FB group members, he is rather appropriate especially as a dog is involved.

SM1.jpg

Thanks to AJC’s Terrier build, the same figures are on order from Alan

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
When confronted with something so irresistible, it would be impolite to refuse, so I didn’t.

This is the only passenger vehicle on the otherwise goods only line, strictly high days and holidays.

0A7F749F-2CF7-4626-A047-F5A9AE381587.jpeg

The weathering will be comprehensive but sympathetic.

Tim

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Hornby R20085, not a clue what it supposed to be but eminently suitable for a Col.Stephens enterprise, I believe that such frippery is acceptable.

Tim
Thanks, Tim, that's good to know!

I think I must be stuck with a 1980s mindset with regard to Hornby. I would never have guessed it was one of theirs as it looks far too good. Some reappraisal is probably due.....

Cheers,
Mark

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi,

I tried the MiG Sun Bleach wash on the new Hornby 6w coach, the results were not good. How MiG equates Sun Bleach with bright yellow is a mystery, thankfully it wiped off rather quickly.

In its place, a thin wash of Lifecolour Frame Dirt, applied with the mighty Cotman chisel and the excess removed with a dab of kitchen paper towel. The result is mucky, maybe next time, a wash with very dilute Amish Grey on the roof?

Btw, the model is stunning.

IMG_1065.JPG

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Just a request for help....

The roof of the carriage is rather pristine, would mucky grey or raw umber be more approriate as a base coat?

Any other good ideas?

Thank you

Tim