7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

cmax

Western Thunderer
Finally finished, just in time, tomorrow the big strip down and wash ready for hand over to the Warren Haywood at Stafford; it'll be joining another three and a forth to Paul Moore.

The expansion link pivot is a temporary 10BA cheesehead, they'll get turned ones on rebuild

View attachment 222782

View attachment 222783

View attachment 222784

View attachment 222785
Mick

Your builds are works of art, just beautiful to look at and admire the workmanship, looking forward to its return and Warren's handiwork.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Even so, to get it looking so good in such a short time is a real achievement.
Thanks, but it's a simple algorithm, the more hours you do in a day, the quicker it gets built ;) I have a pile of stuff to get through, your's being apart of it :thumbs:

It took about five days longer than planned if I'm brutally honest, 21 days (some of those were very short days due to external issues) in total and no weekends (a first for me....still battling the work/life balance even after three years) bar yesterday.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Not to detract from Tonys thread I've moved the ROD tender flares over here, all done and will send off once signed off.

Image.jpg

In other news, I've not done much etch work recently so it was nice to get back to it; a request for some JLTRT D600 grills, it took a couple of stabs at the pig to get the final result, but get there it did.

IMG_2550.JPEG

Img_2552.jpeg

IMG_2553.JPEG

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Enough for three engines and some spares, typically with this sort of work (close to the etch limits) you'll get a few failures, so it pays to make sure you have plenty of spares, also helps the builder if he makes a mistake with one ;) Happily, this sheet was 100% fit for purpose.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Over the weekend (between cleaning the models for delivery at Stafford) I found a little spare time to poke the Crab chassis with some crayons and reassemble the wheels and valve gear into a rolling chassis.

It needs some weathering to break up the overall 'blackness' which I'll do once the body returns after the weekend.

IMG_7173.jpg

IMG_7175.jpg

IMG_7176.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

timbowales

Western Thunderer
Enough for three engines and some spares, typically with this sort of work (close to the etch limits) you'll get a few failures, so it pays to make sure you have plenty of spares, also helps the builder if he makes a mistake with one ;) Happily, this sheet was 100% fit for purpose.
I wish some other producers of etches used the same philosophy and included a couple of sacrificial parts for the hungry carpet monster :rant:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Over the weekend (between cleaning the models for delivery at Stafford) I found a little spare time to poke the Crab chassis with some crayons and reassemble the wheels and valve gear into a rolling chassis.

It needs some weathering to break up the overall 'blackness' which I'll do once the body returns after the weekend.

View attachment 223036

View attachment 223037

View attachment 223038

View attachment 223039

Funny how you can tell what that is even without the body.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Short week this week, day out tomorrow and Friday prep and travel to Stafford. I did manage to get to grips with the new project, a DA Princess Royal, very tight date line on this, as it left the factory.

The whole kit is nickel silver so that's nice, but will make forming some bends a little more physical I'm sure.

First up the tender, one of the rare Stanier 4000G straight sided tenders, only three built as far as I know and only used for a short time I believe, two went to Princess Royals, the third went with Royal Scot on tour to the US, what happened to them later I've no idea....as yet.

A quick start on the tender chassis and already some things need sorting, the brake gear is very 2D so I'm going to have to rebuild quite a bit of that and the front inner chassis won't work once we put the new front end in to hold all the brake weight shafts and trunnions. The inner chassis was easy to cut back and add the new base for the plate work and brake cylinder to come.

The other issue is the water scoop and I blindly stuck it in where the kit had holes for it, never gave it a second thought until I tried to add the brake beams and transverse stay, it's 10 mm out of place, not only that, the stay that holds the plates for the shaft to work the scoop is also out of place. End result, split the chassis down, remove the stay, rebuild and move the scoop. I also added the braces to the scoop stand to give the eye something to look at when peering in there.

Finally last this this evening, the bases for the footplate was whizzed up, nothing untoward here but it's tight behind the side plates with S7 wheels and leaves bare minimum side play.

Img_2564.jpeg

Img_2565.jpg

IMG_2567.JPEG

Img_2568.jpeg

IMG_2569.JPEG
First up the tender, one of the rare Stanier 4000G straight sided tenders, only three built as far as I know and only used for a short time I believe, two went to Princess Royals, the third went with Royal Scot on tour to the US, what happened to them later I've no idea....as yet.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Mick,

One of them was paired with an 8F, from memory. I can't check at the moment as I'm not at home.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
If I understand it correctly, 48600 had one but this was a modified Fowler type.
Dave
Dave,

The tender story is a little convoluted as there are the three "Stanier" modified high straight sided 3500 gallon Fowler tenders, or "modified old standard", one of which, as you mention, ran behind 48600. Additional to this are the Stanier 3500 gallon tenders, which are basically a 4000 gallon tender type but on a 6'6" + 6'6" wheelbase. These latter type were paired with Jubilees from new and then of course moved around. However, I have also seen mention of 10 high sided flush tenders, but don't have access to my reference material to check this out.

Here's a photo of 45660 with a Stanier 3500G tender: