Marshcastle

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Steve sorry mate was only joking with Simon. We intend to hack and bash our way to producing new wrap round ends ends, body sides and under frame detail to be able to do a cheap conversion of the Big Big. just out of interests sake we have in the region of 40+. we intend to cast out own buffers and fit lighting but that's along way in the future still more to buy yet.

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Oh dear, it's that time of year again....

Mrs Miggins doesn't get any peace in her cottage these days. Apart from Ernie (his milk float is parked out of sight in front of the cottage) the additional parcels working over the Marshcastle loop line for the mail order company recently established in the old mill coupled with her son's passion for mechanised military re-enactments are driving her absolutely crazy.....

Miggins.jpg

She is nonetheless resisting all efforts to be re-housed so that her dilapidated old cottage can be demolished to make way for vital road improvements:p

Neil

Western Thunderer
index.php

I never realised the York - Aber mails travelled via Marshcastle; diversion due to engineering works perhaps?

Simon

Flying Squad
Quite possibly, I think Marshcastle mostly lives (in my imagination) in the Welsh marches. A lovely thought either way.

I still think that the most memorable train working of recent years was the Widnes Vine Yard to Mostyn BR "Merrymaker" excursion of a few years ago:p:eek:

I've got a picture of it somewhere....

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Properly playing trains - great stuff!
Is the section in the photo the original cardboard creation that used to live in the window at Brassknocker?

Jerry

Simon

Flying Squad
The very same, although the track plan was heavily rationalised some years ago:eek:

However, it has more recently had a new double line of tracks laid from the platform end towards Rowley New Street.

I hope to "fill in the gap" this winter from the other end of Marshcastle:)

Simon

Flying Squad
In between bouts of cooking, washing up, stripping the bird:eek: etc I have today mostly been playing in the train room.

After returning from extended service on the "Junior Enthusiasts Days" in the shop basement, 47 487 was declared a failure with appallingly dirty wheels and dumped on Rowley New Street's stabling point. An unexpected interloper was seen earlier today deputising on one of today's special passenger services.

Xmasday 009.jpg

In from a customer for a clean up and oil around, this is now a sweet running loco again:thumbs:

This however is more of a challenge, the plastic contact carrying strip that sits under the chassis is fractured into several pieces, I am going to try to put it back together and re solder the contact wire.

Xmasday 010.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
There were quite a few trains running today...

Xmasday 018.jpg

Here's the ballast working seen from the other end of the station.

Xmasday 019.jpg

The 108 has been stabled in the scrap siding, it'd better move before the lads start stripping it:eek:

Xmasday 017.jpg

Meanwhile there's some weird carnival going off up on the main road:confused:

Xmasday 022.jpg

Although this an old model by now, I have to say that the old Lima 47 still largely does it for me, 47 487 has now had its wheels cleaned and is running as well as ever. It has a complete set of Ultrascales which were fitted in June 1998 and help its appearance a lot.

Xmasday 008.jpg

I must say, there's a lot to be said for the smaller scale train set:p

Simon

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I must say, there's a lot to be said for the smaller scale train set:p

Yes Simon, I do understand and of course, I know exactly what you mean. It's so good to see that the therapy has started to take effect. Just keep attending the sessions, and we'll have you completely cured in no time! :p

Simon

Flying Squad
I don't remember stub axles but the Ultrascale middle wheels are on full axles, although they flop up and down a lot.

Actually, having said I like it, from the front it's less convincing - here's a comparison with my (still unfinished) Bachmann Class 57 conversion, which I think potentially delivers a very convincing 47.

Wired 014.jpg

I'm going to try and finish this loco, (mostly by persuading a friend to spray it blue for me:p) as after a session of wiring and tweaking trains are now running over the whole system as it currently stands, including electric operation of the two sets of points at the above end of Rowley New Street.

I can now for the first time run trains in and out of the sub car park bay platform, although I am going to have to install an uncoupling ramp or two for dropping of parcels stock in that corner:eek:

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Further to the above, I have dug out some of my three linked stock and Mrs Miggins cottage is noisier than ever before...

Long coal trains have started running through Marshcastle, here a loaded train exits the single line as a local service awaits entry to the station off the bi-directional relief line:cool:

Wired 002.jpg

Arriving at Rowley New Street the coal train is held in the main platform to allow one of the new through passenger workings into the station, while from the rear a Warship hauled train overhauls it along the relief line, having passed the local train seen earlier at a newly reinstated loop west of Marshcastle:p

Wired 010.jpg

The local train seen earlier (a "short" working to Marshcastle and return only for commuters) is then smartly worked back to the newly commissioned bay before the main line working is at last allowed to depart.

Wired 006.jpg

The express is at last given the right away and before long is thundering across the level crossing at Marshcastle, passing yet another local train which has drifted along the relief line in the same direction and awaits passage after the express.

Wired 003.jpg

No sooner has this local cleared the section than another long coal working rumbles through Marshcastle, hauled by one of the Western Region's attractive new "Hymek" diesels:))

Wired 016.jpg

The guys in the train control office at station tower are being kept very busy at the moment.....

Beee - Barp!

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
I like it Simon:thumbs: Playing trains...thats what its all about.

Looks like you have been up to your usual shunting manouvers albeit in a mini this time ( second to last pic ) or were you practicing " off road " while you get the Land Rover sorted.:p:))

I love the Hymek on minerals:thumbs: although the loco is a bit to clean for me.;)

Playing Trains...HAPPY DAYS

Rob:D

Simon

Flying Squad
Not guilty for once, the mini parking is the work of the boy Harry, who is currently running the Warship hauled passenger train up and down and threatening to deploy hideously modern buses across the scene:confused: (I retro-ed the road traffic last night)

You are right, the Hymek and Warship badly need weathering down, I might give it a go before the 4mm vapours evaporate and I go back to stupidly big trains:))

Simon

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Went out for an excellent dog stomp with Kim, Simon and the boys today, including a pint by the canal at the halfway point and several trains on the adjacent mainline - and had a brief play with Marshcastle.
Simon is a very lucky boy having such a snug little man cave at the heart of the home with a cracking trainset running around the walls - loads of fun for boys of all ages:)

Jerry

Simon

Flying Squad
Great to see you both and yes I am very lucky:)

Just contemplating completing the Marshcastle orbital project in cardboard, I went and got the wood glue earlier but have since been mostly distracted by "Force 10 From Navarone" - an interesting mix of railway wagons earlyish in the film, some looking very British:p

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Oh dear, I have just succumbed to a bit of retail therapy in the weeny scales:oops:

It's a two part sin, this is the first part, purchased this afternoon from Brian Tozer's very fine retail emporium Modelmania in Bristol, top chap and top shop, highly recommended:thumbs:

Guilty 003.jpg

It's a beautiful model, possibly slightly light and exhibiting a slight secondary "wobble" in motion but really looking the part. Quite where the "Scottish Region" apellation that this model seems to have acquired comes from I don't know.

Part two is a mail order coaching stock transgression of alarmingly large proportions, suffice to say that a new service will be running through Marshcastle shortly:p

Simon