Marshcastle

Simon

Flying Squad
Well progress came to an abrupt halt earlier this week for obvious reasons, and the completion of the orbital loop will now slip beyond the end of the holidays. However, the new track and associated wiring has turned a collection of scenic tracks into something that is great fun to play with.

Shunting the new yard, taking parcels coaches on and off passenger trains, running into the back bay from a whole new direction and transfer workings between up and down yards (as I have dubbed them) It has all got Harry and Charlie more involved too.

So here's a shot from one year ago, at this stage most of these trains were just "posed" and wouldn't actually run under power.

Yearago.jpg

And here's the same part of the layout from a different viewpoint, it looks a bit lacklustre because it is a very grey day here in Bath at the moment.

We reckon we can "mount" three periods, steam and few early green diesel, BR Blue (hurrah) as seen here, and then a confection of "Sprinter era" stuff.

I do like the BR Blue and I think Heljan's hymek is my favouritist loco.

Yearnow.jpg

I reserve the right to re-visit the signal box, it really is dreadfully "Stalag Luft".

Simon

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

the signal box is very reminiscent of the DN&S between Newbury and Winchester - all in all, looking good.

cheers

Mike

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Well progress came to an abrupt halt earlier this week for obvious reasons, and the completion of the orbital loop will now slip beyond the end of the holidays. However, the new track and associated wiring has turned a collection of scenic tracks into something that is great fun to play with.

Shunting the new yard, taking parcels coaches on and off passenger trains, running into the back bay from a whole new direction and transfer workings between up and down yards (as I have dubbed them) It has all got Harry and Charlie more involved too.

So here's a shot from one year ago, at this stage most of these trains were just "posed" and wouldn't actually run under power.

View attachment 16305

And here's the same part of the layout from a different viewpoint, it looks a bit lacklustre because it is a very grey day here in Bath at the moment.

We reckon we can "mount" three periods, steam and few early green diesel, BR Blue (hurrah) as seen here, and then a confection of "Sprinter era" stuff.

I do like the BR Blue and I think Heljan's hymek is my favouritist loco.

View attachment 16306

I reserve the right to re-visit the signal box, it really is dreadfully "Stalag Luft".

Simon

I like the BLUE ones (no suprise there is there) and love the RAT

Simon

Flying Squad
This evening my friend Andrew Vines came over for tea and we gave Rowley New Street a thoroughly hydraulic workout, aided by some recent purchases that Andrew has made:)

A bit of vintage hydraulic-ery from Bachmann, this sits very well on Andrew's own layout which is ex GWR in Devon in the chocolate & cream era. He was planning to give it yellow panels,but we both agreed that this plain livery has a lot going for it.

Andrew1.jpg

But then again you can't beat a bit of blue, here Bachmann's "Kelly" hauls newly purchased Bachmann mk 1s into Rowley New Street, running beneath "Ploffman Pigments" head office:))

Andrew2.jpg

More to come....

Beee - Baaarp!

Simon

Flying Squad
He also invested in one of these:)

Andrew3.jpg

Various slight shortcomings apart, this is a beautiful little model and a superb runner too. It was probably the loco that got most running earlier this evening:thumbs:

We had the Gerry Fiennes accelerated passenger service running through later, the North British was on a ballast train while Midland Region interlopers were seen lurking in the background, portents of doom for the glorious hydraulic era:))

Andrew6.jpg

We turned out 13 blue and grey Mk 1s for this evening's workings:D

Simon

Flying Squad
And finally I can't resist a couple of "across the tracks" views. These are fun to take as they provide a view of the model which it is physically impossible to get without using a camera.

Just before tea, note to self; must slosh some paint on the back walls of that platform:p

Andrew5.jpg

And finally for this evening, a posed line up of vintage machinery.

Andrew4.jpg

Must get back to building those big points......

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Ah, yes... the one problem with taking pictures from where the eye cannot see.....:oops:

I think that's the first Dapol Blue Class 22 I've seen... I note it comes ready-faded....:rolleyes: :D

Yes, on balance we decided that the shade of blue used is not its best feature, although as you say it might represent a faded example. The yellow is a bit "lemony" too:p

Simon

Flying Squad
Still waiting for "The Definitive Model" to be made.....;)

Marshcastle, definitive model of anything, ha ha ha:))

I believe my friend Andrew is in the market for a Dapol or two, in the meantime he's just added a few more Mk 1s to his roster and can now run an authentic Plymouth portion of the Cornish Riviera Express:)

We are both thinking he might need to invest in some Mk 2s to go with any Western purchases, West of England main line in summer of 76 - happy days:thumbs:

Simon