Maiden Newton in EM

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
The building behind the signal box is the platelayers hut for the p way gang that maintained the main line through Maiden Newton. The area just to the right of the signal box, between the 'Bridport' siding and the down refuge siding, was used by the gang to store materials. There was a supply of chippings for spot packing and spare sleepers, etc as well as their trolley stored off the rails - this will be modelled in due course when all the basic work is complete and I can start adding details. The Bridport branch had its own p way gang which was based at Toller.

I haven't been able to do much work on the layout recently - summer holidays etc have intervened and I have also been completing a couple of commissions that are still outstanding from when I was doing them full time. Once these are out of the way it will be back to the layout and I hope to be able to report further progress!

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
I have just been made aware of the passing of two major influences on my own - and many others - modelling activity over many years. The first that I heard of was the passing of Don Rowland. His articles have always been inspirational and his "Keeping the Balance", which appeared in Roy Dock's Model Railways in the early 1970s, might even be termed seminal. He certainly made me think about what I was modelling and I try to follow his example to this day. I was lucky enough to meet him once - we had a meeting on Crewe station to discuss an article for publication - and he was the nicest bloke you could wish to meet.

This news was quickly followed by a note on the passing of Len Newman. He too had a major impact on finescale modelling in this country and I well remember the excitement he caused when he revealed his K&L track system at a Scalefourum many years ago. He went on to develop it as C&L and then to develop the Exactoscale track system which I am pleased to have been able to use on my Maiden Newton project. Along with Brian Rogers and his Ultrascale wheels, Len enabled fine scale railway modelling to become a viable practicality with superb appearance coupled with excellent performance.

To both of the above mentioned gentlemen - thank you so much for your contribution - it really is appreciated.

Gerry

Last edited:

Simon

Flying Squad
Here Here!

I had the great pleasure of recently working with Don to produce his "Twilight of the Goods" book, in which I got him to talk about himself a little bit. I never met Len, but in addition to all his well known work also made some wonderful G1 track components for Cliff Barker, which enabled me to build a garden train set with pretty realistic trackwork.

DSCN0245.jpg

RIP Don and Len both.

Apologies for thread hijack Gerry....

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
There has not been a lot of progress on Maiden Newton to report of late. Summer activities have intervened and the couple of commissions that have been hanging around unfinished for far too long are now done. Another job recently completed was this Midland 4P which I have weathered for Robin Whittle's Barrow Road project. The model is a Bachmann product which, other than rewheeling, has had little done to it. The fine scale wheels make a tremendous difference to the appearance whilst the printed lining is exquisite. You would have to pay a lot of money to have lining like this done professionally and it still wouldn't be as good as the printed lining! I do like these old Midland engines and am told that they were used in the 1950s to work 'stoppers' between Gloucester and Bristol. Now this engine cannot actually work on Maiden Newton - not only does it not have a crew but it is P4 whereas MN is EM but it does look rather nice!

20211002_181414-1.jpg20211002_181238 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gerry

I love the way you are able give a realism to locomotives when you weather them - almost like they have an oiliness to them. Both this 4P and your Hall are excellently done.

Would you be able to detail how you go about achieving this effect? I have a Dapol 43xx to be fitted with an EM gauge chassis that would be transformed with a similar weathering job to these.

Bristol Barrow Road will look even better for having this loco. Pity, as it is P4, that you couldn't have
‘had a play’ with it on MN.

Pete

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your comments Pete. So far as weathering is concerned I can only recommend that you read the various writings by Martyn Welch. In my opinion - and it is only my opinion - Martyn is streets ahead of all the other weatherers - is that even an actual word? His original book for WSP was ground breaking and for weathering steam locomotives I can do no better than refer you to his articles that appeared in MRJ 252 and 253. I constantly refer to these articles and pretty much follow exactly how he does it - it is certainly what I did with the 4P. Perhaps the only thing I do differently is that I rarely use an airbrush. All the weathering was done using artists brushes and Humbrol enamel paints. I much prefer enamels because it is possible to reactivate the paint if required even several hours after it has been applied - acrylics just dry too quickly for me! I know that others have achieved good results using acrylics but so far I have not managed to produce a job that satisfies me. I do use an airbrush for painting basic livery colours and varnishes when required and sometimes use it to apply a final covering of grot along the top of boilers and roofs. I do hope this helps.

Gerry

Thank you for the information Gerry - I don’t buy all MRJs although have many from no. 60 with Trevor Potts’ or Keith Ettles (are they the same man?!) Churston and haven’t got either editions. I will buy them now though as the articles will be most useful.

On the subject of MRJs I only bought no. 285 this week and read your article about your build of David Geen’s K22 kit. I think I see it on the above 4P photo. Great work again.

Regards

Pete

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
IMG-20211030-WA0005.jpg 20211013_132419 (3).jpg
Progress on Maiden Newton has been slow recently - glacial even! I have completed the siding which passes through the goods shed to a coal yard beyond and have been ballasting it. I have used DAS modelling clay to build up the level around the sleepers - as suggested by Chris Nevard - but, as he warns, it is a painfully slow process. I used fine 'roadstone' from Attwood Aggregates to give a top dressing and the result is as shown. I am happy with the finished job but my goodness it takes a time and I am glad there is not more to do! Beyond the goods shed at the real Maiden Newton there was rather more point work than I have modelled - and there wasn't a sharp curve in the mainline - so on the layout the railway enters train set territory and I am adlibbing rather.

I have also done a little more rolling stock modelling including this Iron Mink. It uses the recently released 3D printed model from Rails of Sheffield which has been amended. The printed roof is far too thick so I replaced it with a new roof cut from 10thou Nickel Silver sheet and rivetted with my Reynolds Riveter. The buffers were replaced with MJT buffers and the V hangers, brake levers and lever guards were replaced with etched components - Masokits I think. The model required only touching in of the replacement components with wagon grey and then re-lettering with Methfix transfers to suit my post-war period. I don't think too many of these vintage wagons survived in traffic by then but there are photos of a few of them so I am pleased to include it. It is a pricey way of acquiring an Iron Mink but is an improvement on the now extremely venerable plastic kit which hitherto has been the only option.

Sorry about the odd angle in the photo of the trackwork - it was the only way I could get it in! And the photo of the Iron Mink was taken a couple of weeks ago on the very piece of track shown in the photo above before it was ballasted.

Gerry

Last edited:
View attachment 151341 View attachment 151342
Progress on Maiden Newton has been slow recently - glacial even! I have completed the siding which passes through the goods shed to a coal yard beyond and have been ballasting it. I have used DAS modelling clay to build up the level around the sleepers - as suggested by Chris Nevard - but, as he warns, it is a painfully slow process. I used fine 'roadstone' from Attwood Aggregates to give a top dressing and the result is as shown. I am happy with the finished job but my goodness it takes a time and I am glad there is not more to do! Beyond the goods shed at the real Maiden Newton there was rather more point work than I have modelled - and there wasn't a sharp curve in the mainline - so on the layout the railway enters train set territory and I am adlibbing rather.

I have also done a little more rolling stock modelling including this Iron Mink. It uses the recently released 3D printed model from Rails of Sheffield which has been amended. The printed roof is far too thick so I replaced it with a new roof cut from 10thou Nickel Silver sheet and rivetted with my Reynolds Riveter. The buffers were replaced with MJT buffers and the V hangers, brake levers and lever guards were replaced with etched components - Masokits I think. The model required only touching in of the replacement components with wagon grey and then re-lettering with Methfix transfers to suit my post-war period. I don't think too many of these vintage wagons survived in traffic by then but there are photos of a few of them so I am pleased to include it. It is a pricey way of acquiring an Iron Mink but is an improvement on the now extremely venerable plastic kit which hitherto has been the only option.

Sorry about the odd angle in the photo of the trackwork - it was the only way I could get it in! And the photo of the Iron Mink was taken a couple of weeks ago on the very piece of track shown in the photo above before it was ballasted.

Gerry
More excellent trackwork Gerry!

For a 3D print the van looks very realistic - that said, your paintwork and especially the weathering adds to the realism. MJT & Masokits parts very much help too.

With regards your trackwork south of the goods shed, in most of the photos the shed will mask beyond it to a certain extent, other than those taken from a higher level, so I am sure no one will miss the missing point work.

BR

Pete

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Having followed this thread Gerry I am always in awe of those who have stuck to a single ambition, focussing on a specific project especially when it comes to the GW in Dorset. I am enjoying the modelling and the progress reports on the progress which seems to be a very insignificant gesture on my part to such a grand project of such a familiar station, lovely.
There is a reason to my addition to this thread, since taking family camping holidays in Dorset back in the early 70s my interest in this part of Dorset has been firmly embedded in me. We camped in a farm in Punknowle back then and through my late Father’s interest in anything railway related led me to a fascination in the Abbottsbury branch. I cannot believe that this lovely branch line station has held my interest for over 50 years….! I am aware that you have written many articles and books on railways in this area and are familiar with said station.
I am only aware of one model of Abbottsbury by the late Mike Cook, also there was a might have been Southern branch by a modeller in Australia that appeared in the RM many years ago. Does anyone know of any more? I can understand why it has not attracted more as the station is very long and operation was very limited, closing very early on in 1952.
Going back to my initial introduction to Abbottsbury I clearly remember seeing the various buildings back in the 70s including the bridges at Portesham but even these have gone now as you know.
I guess I should follow your determination and just start….in 4 mm Abbottsbury station will be nearly 20 feet long but the thought of a 517 class with an auto coach in tow gliding into the platform is a real motivation to me. If only I had room for a 7 mm model as I picked up a set of 7mm loco number plates for 202 one of the allocated 517s in earlier times. Even in 2 mm it would be 10 feet long…..could this be be the stumbling block to me starting….?
Please accept my apologies for stealing this thread (a little) but I just wanted to see if anything was out there? I have the WSP book by Brian Jackson on the branch which seems to cover the railway in great detail.
I look forward to more of your progress.
All the best
Julian

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian

I thank you for your comments. I am delighted that you are able to identify with my efforts on Maiden Newton and that you are finding my postings of interest. Like you I have connections with Dorset that go back many years - in my case back to childhood when we made regular visits to Bridport to visit relatives. And similarly to you my late father was also very interested in the railways of Dorset so I gained an affinity with them at an early age.

A favourite line of his was also the Abbotsbury branch and shortly after it closed he walked the line from Upwey to the terminus and photographed the stations in detail before the line was dismantled - modellers views in fact. Some of his photos appeared in the late Brian Jacksons book but there are quite few others that have not been published. He also built a lovely 7mm scale model of 517class No 202. He also told me that he remembered having a trip on the branch when he was a child in the late 1930s and that he recalled that the engine was a 517 class. It could have been No 1163 which was a Weymouth engine at that time and ended up being the penultimate 517 to remain in service until 1946. Whilst Abbotsbury would make an attractive model to look it it would be rather dull to operate! The same auto train ran backwards and forward - and it only lingered at the terminus for a few minutes - and possibly the occasional goods with a wagon or two. I have to say that I don't know of any model of Abbotsbury in any scale but I do recall that somebody that I knew years ago in Oxford was working on a model of Portesham station but I don't know how far he got with it.

I don't have much recent progress to show on Maiden Newton itself. But I am currently building a B set for use on the Bridport branch train and this is taking quite a time. It is being built from a bespoke etched brass kit and it is my hope - and intention - to be able to replicate the 'gravity' shunt. The shunting of the branch train by this means is one of the few things the people seem to know about MN and the one thing that they always ask about. I believe that it can be made to work in model form by gravity but time will tell. Work is progressing on the two bodies and the next task will be to make up the four sprung 7' wheelbase bogies. To relieve the tedium of coachbuilding I am also installing point motors and wiring up the storage sidings - I interchange between the two projects when things get a bit much. So although there isn't much new to show at present progress is being made and hopefully I will have more to show soon. In the meantime the photo below shows how the storage sidings looked yesterday afternoon - there is still a way to go yet.

Gerry

20220126_154448 (2).jpg

MarkR

Western Thunderer
But I am currently building a B set for use on the Bridport branch train and this is taking quite a time. It is being built from a bespoke etched brass kit and it is my hope - and intention - to be able to replicate the 'gravity' shun
Hi Gerry
Good to see progress on Maiden Newton, I took my wife to the station, as a treat(!!!) on Wednesday. She was very patient with me!
Is there any likelihood that the bespoke B set might become more widely available?
Mark

isambardme

Western Thunderer
Here Here!

I had the great pleasure of recently working with Don to produce his "Twilight of the Goods" book, in which I got him to talk about himself a little bit. I never met Len, but in addition to all his well known work also made some wonderful G1 track components for Cliff Barker, which enabled me to build a garden train set with pretty realistic trackwork.

View attachment 148327

RIP Don and Len both.

Apologies for thread hijack Gerry....
Great to see a garden railway in G1 with buildings & realistic trackwork. Thanks for the posting.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Gerry, thank you the reply to my enquiry, very interesting comments of your Father walking the line. I did wonder if you were related. I also agree that the line would be very dull to operate but what a lovely model it would make, maybe a bit of operation licence!? Many GW termini were similarly operated but it is so tempting.
May I ask what became of the 7mm model of 202?
Also in the photo above of your fiddle yard I see an MRC poster….may I be nosey and ask what it is? Mercury inspecting a model is very obvious!
All the best
Julian

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian

Thanks for your further message. The MRC poster in the background of my photo of the storage sidings is for the 1951 MRC Exhibition at Central Hall, Westminster. The poster was given to me many years ago now by a chap who had been involved in clearing out the workshop of the late G. P. Keen - former President of the MRC and after whom Keen House is named - and there were a stack of them found there. If you have been a regular reader of MRJ and you remember the photo of the late Bob Barlow's workshop that appeared in the magazine shortly after he passed away you may recall that he to had a copy of the same poster on his workshop wall. The posters were most distinctive and I remember them myself - although not the 1951 show I hasten to add!

Gerry

david bigcheeseplant

Western Thunderer
Hi Gerry
any chance of some close up photo of your goods shed, I am drawing up the goods shed for Wycombe and all that I have is a plan on a map, I was using Bourne End as a basis but the one at Wycombe I think is bigger as the trusses where used on the extension to enlarge the original station in the 1880s, The original Bourne End goods shed was relocated when the Marlow branch was opened, there was a another goods shed at Wooburn Green but this had gone by the late 1930s. So looking for pics of similar goods shed.