Maiden Newton in EM

I have been spending time working on the flint finish of the buildings for Maiden Newton - it being one of the defining features of the place - and am rather pleased with the result. I have added highlights to Rupert Godfreys original flint work by some very limited dry brushing in white and SR stone. I think the effort was worthwhile and now I have the main station building and the enormous goods shed to do. Attached is a photo showing the current appearance of the model of the down side waiting shelter along with a recent view of the real thing for comparison. The period posters are from the very excellent Sankey Scenics and are highly recommended. View attachment 129037 View attachment 129038
Hi Gerry

Can I ask how you achieved a model of the bench? It really does look effective.

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your comments Pete. I shall probably have more trains than the sidings can accommodate - that is if I ever complete all the trains that I would like to run! But I am limited by lack of space so will have to change them round from time to time - I don't intend to run an authentic schedule rather a selection of typical trains to be seen on the line.

The GWR platform bench is from a Dart Castings kit that I obtained many years ago from Pendon Museum but they are now sold by MJT I believe. The lady on the bench rummaging in her bag for her ticket is one of the outstandingly good 3D printed figures from Modelu and I pushed the boat out and had a few waiting passengers painted by the very talented Claudia Everett.

Gerry

The setting of the photo with the old lady sat outside the building looks totally evocative. Your representation of MN already looks superb and this even before any scenery has been added. I do hope you add plenty of photos as you continue with it.

You mentioned that you have constructed a purpose built structure - what size will/does your layout measure? Your photos seem to give an appearance that you will be able to achieve a realistic number of coaches in your trains.

Pete

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
Below is the plan to which Maiden Newton was built. To an extent the structure was built to the largest size that I could accommodate to allow the model to be built pretty much to scale. The section from the goods shed at the Dorchester end to the road bridge is pretty much to scale - the remainder - including the ridiculously sharp curves - is hopelessly compromised!

Attachments

• Maiden Newton plan - 17-8-2019 (1).pdf
    221.7 KB · Views: 131

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
One of the benefits of modelling a secondary mainline is that the trains tend to be shorter than those on the major routes - no Cornish Riviera Limited or Torbay Express - so they are easier to accommodate, not to mention to model! The main train of the day from London - the 12.30pm PDN/WEY - left London with 12 coaches but most of them came off at Westbury so by the time it reached Maiden Newton it had only 5 coaches. The train was regularly strengthened though so I shall add an extra all 3rd to make it look a little more impressive. Local trains to Westbury, Chippenham or Bristol were usually the normal 4-coach M set so again easily accommodated. I was able to obtain the two documents shown below and these give the details required to represent the trains quite accurately. Of course they show what the GWR planned and were often amended but they do give a good indication of what happened and the make up of trains.

One feature of steam railway operation that is perhaps not so well recognised at this distance in time is the amount of 'tail' traffic handled by passenger trains often on an ad hoc basis. A look at some of the John Huntley 'Steam on 35mm' videos shows that additional vans, etc. were regularly added to trains and it should also be remembered that 'tail' traffic could also run at the front of trains - all depending on where the vehicle was to be detached I guess.

Freight trains were subject to alteration depending on the amount of traffic presented but in 1947 most goods still went by rail so the trains were usually well loaded. I shall be limited on the length of freight trains by the storage sidings. Going back many years now I was inspired by the long goods at Pendon Museum with the train comprising 80+ coal wagons behind a 28xx. I had thought such a train would not be seen at MN but the Service Time Table revealed that the 'Rogerstone coal train' ran through on a Tuesday evening - with the return empties on a Thursday - so I can run a coal train of 22 coal wagons plus Toad behind a ROD - although a 28xx will appear in due course.

Gerry

P1020967 (2).JPG P1020965 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Longbow

Western Thunderer
I guess you don't have room for the 0830 Channel Islands Boat train - a Castle with 11 coaches, all running through to Weymouth.

PS thanks for your many works on Dorset railways - they are a pleasant reminder of my schooldays, and a fount of knowledge for my trainsim and modelling activities.

Last edited:
Morning Gerry

Your track plan looks impressive and certainly should make MN have that ‘Pendon’ look of a railway in the landscape rather than just a station on a baseboard.

I keep mind-changing between modelling St Ives and Culham. Both quite different in design as one would be a Terminus whilst I do not know how busy Culham would be but at least would be based on an oval. What made you choose MN? I know from your excellent written work that Dorset appealed.

The Channel Islands boat train would certainly make an impressive site thundering through MN although available space may be an issue.

Pete

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Just for info, the Bridport Line spur was taken out of use on 20 December 1963, and the Bridport Line itself was closed on 5 May 1975. The lines to Yeovil Pen Mill and Dorchester Junction were singled in May 1968 and Maiden Newton then became a passing loop.

If you are interested in seeing the post-1956/pre-1963 signalling diagram send me a pm with an email address.

Last edited:

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
Ah yes - the Channel Islands Boat Express - that is the one train that I shall almost certainly not model. At 11 or 12 coaches it is far too lengthy for my longest storage siding and in any case it didn't stop at Maiden Newton and just passed through. Maybe when the layout is completed and all the other locomotives and trains have been built and I have nothing left to do I might turn my attention to it but by then I shall probably be around 120 years old!

Mention of the Channel Islands Boat Express brings to mind an incident related to me by my good friend Peter Squibb. Pete grew up in Maiden Newton in the late 1940s/early 50s and his father Bill was a signalman there - needless to say much time was spent around the station where Pete gained detailed knowledge of the operations there. The 'boat train' - from Weymouth Quay - was immediately preceded by a local train from Weymouth Town which terminated at Maiden Newton and was worked at this time by a diesel railcar. To speed things up it was the usual practice for the railcar to run through the station without pausing at the platform and then reverse across the junction to the 'down ' platform where the passengers disembarked. On the day in question the railcar was rather tardy in coming back across the junction and the signalman had to delay clearing the 'up' distant signal thus slowing the progress of the approaching 'boat train'. Pete witnessed this and two things impressed him - one was the sound made by the 'Castle' as it accelerated the 12 coach train up the gradient into and through the station and the second was the rude gesture from the driver to the signalman!

Gerry

Last edited:

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
That reminded me of much more recent tales of express trains running signal to signal at a well know Cornish junction, while an ECS class 153 scurried off the branch and back home for an early finish!

Fantastic project by the way, I'm currently playing catch-up, reading my way through it

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Gerry,

It is interesting to watch the development of MN, the building of the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway had a disatrous effect on the ambitions of Southampton and Dorchester Railway (S&DR) to serve both Bridport and Exeter and it is odd to think that in the mid 19th century Bridport was the second largest town in Dorset. A 'what-if' the S&DR had served Bridport arises, would the fall in population have continued?

Thank you for sharing the construction.

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the recent messages chaps and my apologies for the delay in responding.

Pete - I had little information to go on for the cattle dock. I have a copy of the GWR 40ft - 1ins survey of the station which gave me the approximate dimensions of the footprint and a few photographs where the cattle dock appears in the background. I worked out the dimensions and prepared a rough sketch of the railings from GWR drawings in Great Western Architecture and Great Western Branchline Modelling. The wooden gates appear to have been quite standard so I used plastic moulded gates from the Ratio kit - which is actually based on the dock that was formerly at Yeovil Pen Mill I believe. The railings were soldered together from nickel silver bridge rail - available from the Broad Gauge Society - whilst the corner posts on the real thing used flange rail for which I used some nickel silver HO scale flat bottom rail donated by one of my Swiss Narrow Gauge modelling friends - origin unknown. The base is made up from Plasticard using the methods described by the late and much missed John Hayes when he described the cattle dock for his model of Wallingford station in MRJ. It's all a bit conjectural but I don't think its too far out.

BR Group - is that you Tim? Whilst I am obviously pleased that the Wilts, Somerset & Weymouth Railway was built - as it became such a characterful GWR line - I have wondered occasionally what the Southampton & Dorchester (Exeter Extension) Railway would have been like had it been built. That it would have been heavily engineered is obvious with many steep gradients and sharp curves and probably several tunnels. I imagine that as an intended main line railway - that it would have been double track and the intermediate stations may have been similar to Moreton or Wool perhaps. Its difficult to imagine what a LSWR Bridport station might have been like - Hamworthy Junction or perhaps Ringwood? And I wonder if the numbered crossing keepers cottages would have been provided? The locomotive working would have been quite something over such a route I would expect.

Gerry

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Hi Gerry,

I just wonder how the junction between the two lines at Dorchester would have been constructed. Space would have been at a premium, no chance of major earthworks therefore a rare flat crossing?

Stay Safe

Longbow

Western Thunderer
The GWR line from Weymouth climbs to Dorchester West on an embankment and descends thereafter, so it could have crossed under the LSWR Exeter extension via a cutting, with an excavated station area on the current site and a junction south of the current location. Alternatively the line could have been routed into a shared station at Dorchester South, with GWR trains reversing at the station. Hardly a desirable way of operating, but of course for many years all up LSWR trains had to do it!

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
Well the interface between the LSWR and the GWR would certainly have been interesting had the Exeter Extension been built - not that it wasn't interesting enough as it was actually built! If I wasn't so wrapped up in the GWR and Maiden Newton then the LSW/SR Dorchester station - it was known as Dorchester South only under BR - would make an interesting layout, especially when the Up platform had an all-over roof.

On another matter today I received a new addition to the motive power - this shiny new Bachmann 94xx arrived from Cornwall. I was aware that Bachmann were to introduce a 94xx but disregarded it as I have no knowledge of any of the class ever appearing in Dorset. But when the first photos of the model appeared it caught my interest as it is such a good model. The chunky appearance is brilliantly captured and the model is very well detailed and finished. Eventually I weakened and an order was duly placed. Conversion to EM looks as though it could be a challenge due to tight clearances inside the splashers but a set of Ultrascale wheels will do wonders for the model - 57xx wheels are exactly right and a new set of rods will help. With a few other minor tweaks and some weathering she will make a fine model and Bachmann are to be congratulated on an excellent job. I don't think one ever ran through Maiden Newton but the first of the class - 9400 - was a Swindon engine so could just conceivably have put in an appearance - another case of Rule 1 applies I think!

The other photo might be entitled 'Panniers on Parade' which is a by-line nicked from a Trains Illustrated magazine of many years ago I think. The 57xx is still work in progress and when completed will represent 7780, a long time Weymouth - and Bridport branch - resident. She was at Bristol St Phillips Marsh in 1947 but transferred later to Weymouth and remained until the early 1960s. I saw her on quite a few occasions on the Bridport branch as well as on the Weymouth Harbour Tramway and a goods train on the Portland Branch so had to have a model of her - I'll get her finished one day!

20210130_124346 (2).jpg 20210130_123437 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
I have now re-started work on the remaining trackwork with a view to getting it all finished. My friendly carpenter returned recently to install the bridge across the doorway - he has been very delayed as he was unlucky enough to contract Covid which developed into 'Long Covid' and meant that he has a had a very lengthy recovery. Added to that he is self-employed so he had a lot of catching up to do before he was able to spare some time to do my little job - but it's done now.

The remaining section of track to be completed is the curve at the Dorchester end of the station which takes to line around to the storage siding on the opposite side of the room. Included in this section are the exit points from the 'down ' refuge siding and the 'Bridport' siding. Both of these turnouts are on the curve so required curved crossings and of course both sidings require catch points - all new territory for me. However work is now underway and I know what is required so it is a case of pressing on with it until it is done. Once the wiring is installed I shall be able to run a train round the complete circuit - and that will be quite a moment when it happens!

Also shown in the photo is Rupert Godfrey's goods shed. When Rupert passed the models of the buildings over to me he apologised for the fact that the roof of the goods shed was unfinished - he had stripped off the old slates as he was unhappy with them and was in the process of re-slating it but hadn't finished the job. However I have determined that at some point - probably in the pre-war period - the roof of the real Maiden Newton goods shed had the slates removed and replaced with corrugated iron. Examination of photographs of these large GWR goods sheds at other locations reveals that many of them had their roofing replaced in a similar way probably as an economy. So rather than continue with the re-slating I have removed the work that Rupert had done and will re-roof it with Salters corrugated plastic in due course - just another job to do! Perhaps the downside to this is that the lovely tall, broad gauge era, chimney was reduced in height at the same time as the re-roofing which is a shame as it is so characterful.

20210205_153842 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
However I have determined that at some point - probably in the pre-war period - the roof of the real Maiden Newton goods shed had the slates removed and replaced with corrugated iron. Examination of photographs of these large GWR goods sheds at other locations reveals that many of them had their roofing replaced in a similar way probably as an economy. So rather than continue with the re-slating I have removed the work that Rupert had done and will re-roof it with Salters corrugated plastic in due course - just another job to do! Perhaps the downside to this is that the lovely tall, broad gauge era, chimney was reduced in height at the same time as the re-roofing which is a shame as it is so characterful.

Given the age of the building at the time I suspect the weight of the slates on the roof trusses may have forced the re-roofing. Probably cheaper to replace the heavy slates with lighter corrugated iron to ease the load and retain the existing roof trusses rather than replace them.

Hi Gerry

Have you had chance to carry out any further modelling on the layout at all ? - not seen any update on it for a while.

Pete