Love Lane, B.R. (E) c.1956-59

timbowales

Western Thunderer
....and at the other end of the layout @Boyblunder has been testing the possibility of advanced repeaters for the up home signal, lights in this case.
View attachment 218494

or a banner type here. This would require a servo to operate it.

View attachment 218495

Richard has been working on the second bridge with steel work ready for jack arches.
View attachment 218496

Col.
As you're modelling BR it should be a banner, light repeaters were an LU thing.
Tim T

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
....and at the other end of the layout @Boyblunder has been testing the possibility of advanced repeaters for the up home signal, lights in this case.

Is a repeater actually required in this location? Or will locos be stopping before the station building bridge?

Would not the up home and distant signal (protecting the platform) convey the status of the up starter signal at the other end of the platform?

(image cropped from Wikepedia)

outer home and distant.jpg

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Is a repeater actually required in this location? Or will locos be stopping before the station building bridge?

Would not the up home and distant signal (protecting the platform) convey the status of the up starter signal at the other end of the platform?

(image cropped from Wikepedia)

View attachment 218544
We think that drivers on through trains would not be able to see the home starter until they come out under the station building, below is not quite the drivers view but you can see that the signal would be obscured from further back as you enter the station.

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
I'm sure I've seen photos of very short semaphore signals such the the arm could be seen under your bridge, possibly as a repeater arm below the normal one?
Dave.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Sorry for the wrong terminology.
Another arrangement seen in the North, was a sort of gallows configuration of a bracket post with a doll hanging downwards to mount the signal arm, again so the arm could be seen under the bridge. Not sure if this type was used in the Love Lane area.
Dave.

James

Western Thunderer
Sorry for the wrong terminology.

There's no need to apologise :)

A think there's confusion between the two. The key thing is that a co-acting signal/arm/aspect must be obeyed whereas a repeater doesn't have to be obeyed, it just gives advance warning of the associated signal.

timbowales

Western Thunderer
"OFF" indicators are/were for showing platform staff and guards that the platform starter signal was showing a proceed aspect, thus avoiding "ding-ding and away" SPADs. They were not officially for drivers use.
A retired signal engineer

James

Western Thunderer
"OFF" indicators are/were for showing platform staff and guards that the platform starter signal was showing a proceed aspect, thus avoiding "ding-ding and away" SPADs. They were not officially for drivers use.

A banner on the approach to the platform would be the best option I think.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I think this was the original idea using the light shown in post # 1,300. Agreed that the banner will be the wrong application in this position.

Col.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Probably worth mentioning that we are installing searchlight signals rather than semaphore. This area of NE London, only 12 miles from Liverpool Street, seems to have received this change by our era.

As colour light signals are being installed a repeater signal will be unnecessary as the colour light signal at the end of the platform will be placed (and angled if necessary) so it can be seen from under the bridge i.e. just shortly after the curve begins at the end of the plaform so it faces directly in the driver's line of sight and eye level when on the straight section.

I think this is what you would have - the 'OFF' indicator would be either/or as the guard may not be able to see the main signal when a train is occupying the platform.

mnrn4hyp.jpg