Love Lane, B.R. (E) c.1956-59

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Looking closely at the Gatwick pic, You can see that both loco's are fitted with London Transport tripcocks, so presumably the train was worked via the East London Line?

Pete.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Looking closely at the Gatwick pic, You can see that both loco's are fitted with London Transport tripcocks, so presumably the train was worked via the East London Line?

Pete.
Err where? as far as I know no class 15 was tripcock fitted, the early class 24 were for the widened lines I believe but not for long, but I've not heard of any other classes so fitted.

The logical and favored route would be North London line, Stratford, Willesden, drop down through Kensington and turn right at Clapham and come up through platform 1, East London line brings you out on the wrong side of the city for lines heading south west and I don't think is full main line cleared, certainly MkIs would pose a bit of a threat to overhang and tunnel clearances.

Class 15 were regulars on Stratford/ Temple mills to Norwood trip workings.

The train will more as likely be a summer special to Brighton, you can tell it's summer time because there's no sun! If it were raining then it'd be high season or a bank holiday.

MD

Last edited:

DougT

Western Thunderer
Not quite 1950/60's or Eastern Region but my sister advises me some of the current DMUs which run from Marylebone to Aylesbury are tripcock fitted for the Harrow - Amersham section.

As are a small pool of DB Cargo class 66's for working RHTT's in autumn and the GBRf/HNRC Class 20's used on the S-stock deliveries.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The top colour picture is Bletchley 59 :- Higgins/Colour-rail.

The black and white picture is Gatwick Airport 15th July 1962 with a special from Loughton to Brighton :- Haresnape.

MD

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
....................... Out of interest do you have details of dates and locations for those two photos?..............
Brian
Does the station name board on the second photo say Gatwick Airport? :confused:

They're a tad off-piste if it does!

The top colour photo was taken at Bletchley c 1959 apparently they worked on the LMR whilst based at Devons road.

The lower B/W shot is at Gatwick Airport, 1962, an excursion from Loughton to Brighton.

There are 17 pages of photo's and drg's in MLI no.186 on the 15's alone which covers the 14,15,16 & 17 class diesels.

My own personal experiences of these loco's were at Rayleigh (My home town) and Southend Victoria Stations on the old GER branch from Shenfield in the 1960's, I was 10 in '66.
Usually on the local parcels it used to fascinate us kids sitting at the platform ticking over as the biggest engines we only saw or heard were in lorrys and this seemed like a monster, I was a petrol head ( oil burner in this case ) at an early age.
We also saw them on goods until they closed all the goods sheds on that line.
Watching it run round at Southend Vic on the parcels also intrigued me at the time being really only used to the electric stock that ran in and out.

Suppose we ought to move this to a BTH type 1, 15 thread really :D

Col.

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Here is a cropped part of an image showing the LT tripcock , worked off the vacuum brake, on a spanking new Class 15 ! The white paint on the isolating valve levers, just below the running plate frames, can be seen on the Gatwick photo.

bth9 img10.jpg

I understand that most of the Stratford' and Finsbury Park allocation were so fitted from the outset for working freights on the East London, Widened Lines, North London, AND Loughton and Hainault Loop lines. There were some goods yards that were only accessible from LT tracks on the LTS as well.

A number of class 31's were also fitted for same, and could be identified by the same white I/V lever in a recess in the buffer beam shroud below the secondman's side window at both ends.

Pete.