7mm Loch Lochy

S

Simon Dunkley

These LED strips are great as they work at 12v, can be separated into sections of 3, and have an adhesive backing which makes it really easy to use. I added an additional resistor to reduce the brightness further so that you can't tell they are on in daylight but are at a realistic level in the dark. I don't bother to switch them on and off which makes it nice and simple. The rectifier and capacitor sit in one of the Mk1 toilets.
What value resistor did you use?

Softvark

What value resistor did you use?

I think it was about 330R (it was a while ago) but what I usually do is initially put a variable resistor in the circuit and then adjust to get the desired light level. I can then measure the value using a multimeter and exchange it for a fixed resistor of the closest value. The LED strip I used is designed to work on 12v so you can't damage them even if you have no resistance.

I use the same method for single LEDs except I keep a small value resistor in series at all times just in case the variable resistor is set to 0 ohms. For an LED in a signal or buffer stop light I've found that you need a surprisingly high value - 10K or more - I suppose it's because LEDs are so efficient these days.