7mm Loch Lochy

Softvark

First of all some history - the 1889 proposal to build the West Highland Line into Fort William included a short branch from Spean Bridge to a lochside pier on Loch Lochy in the Great Glen. Eventually the branch was removed from the plan to calm fears by the Highland Railway however several years later an ill fated branch line was built from Spean Bridge to Fort Augustus and you can still walk part of the long dismantled line, however there was never a pier and station on the loch.

The original plans are available on the national archives for Scotland website and interestingly the original proposal doesn't quite follow the same line as the Fort Augustus branch but was actually on the south side of the river Spean for most of its route. I overlaid the plan onto a modern OS map and was able to place exactly where the pier would have been.

The original Loch Lochy layout was built by Ian Futers but when I acquired it a couple of years ago there were a few things that I thought could be improved - that was several years ago and the subsequent events are described here.

The line is set in the late 1970s, early 80s and it's assumed that local CalMac steamer services call at the pier to enable through trips to Inverness, somehow the fishing industry is still using the local processing factory, and there is another local industry off stage which allows me to run a variety of rolling stock.

So on to some photos - these were taken several years ago but they'll give you a flavour.
lochy1.jpg

This is the typical WHL chalet style station building as built by Ian but with additional features by myself. The fish processing factory is in the foreground with the loch to the left.

lochy3.jpg

A close up of the fish factory showing everyone hard at work.

lochy2.jpg

This is a Judith Edge O6, an MMP class B tank and a Connoisseur brake. I've actually now built 4 of the MMP tanks but I can't face anymore!

lochy4.jpg

This oil siding is no more. It is now a loading dock and the oil siding is located on the new extension on the other side of the bridge.

Hi Julian

Excellent stuff any chance of posting the new track plan? Also I have looked on the NAS website but can't find the plans you mentioned, do you have a link?

Regards

Mike

Softvark

Hi Julian
I have looked on the NAS website but can't find the plans you mentioned, do you have a link?

It took me a while to find it again as they appear to have changed all their pages but this is it
http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/r...e-3-west-highland-railway-inverness-shire/nrs

The pier at Loch Lochy is the top part of the map.

There are loads of resources on the site and this is a good starting point http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search/partner/plans of the west highland railway

I'll try and find a suitable track plan to post.

Softvark

Thought I should post a few more photos, these are a selection from across the life of the layout with one of the most recent being the class 27 from JLTRT. If you look closely you can see the effects of the Pete Clark smoke unit - it was a bit more obvious in reality.

lochy2.jpg

lochy3.jpg

lochy5.jpg

lochy4.jpg

lochy6.jpg

lochy7.jpg

lochy8.jpg

lochy1.jpg

Western Thunderer
Hi Julian :thumbs:

Love the pics, Especially with (Scottish)BLUE loco's in them ;)

Can i just ask ?..... Did you make the fish crates yourself ?, if not, what kit are they ? & Where did you get the telephone box from ?.

More pics please ?.

Steve :cool:

Softvark

Thanks for all your comments guys - much appreciated! I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Can i just ask ?..... Did you make the fish crates yourself ?, if not, what kit are they ? & Where did you get the telephone box from ?.

The fish crates were made by Ian Futers out of plasticard. He thinks they are slightly overscale but I reckon they are great!

The telephone box is from Scalelink, the Type K6 Ref: SLOF49 approx. two thirds of the way down this page http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Scale_1_43___Gauge_O____Echelle_1_43__0___________.html

It took me a while to find it again as they appear to have changed all their pages but this is it
http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/r...e-3-west-highland-railway-inverness-shire/nrs

The pier at Loch Lochy is the top part of the map.

There are loads of resources on the site and this is a good starting point http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search/partner/plans of the west highland railway

I'll try and find a suitable track plan to post.

Oooohhhhhh loads to look at there thanks!!!

Regards

Mike

Softvark

I use DCC so it makes the coach lighting easier than if it was just analogue 12v as it's 'always on'. Basically I take track power from the wheels, convert to DC via a bridge rectifier, add a capacitor to give some storage against dirty track (I think I used about 1000uF) and then feed to warm white LED strips. I used these or similar from Rapid Electronics http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/OSPM-C5030ETS-WarmWhite-LED-Strip-30-way-56-0478

These LED strips are great as they work at 12v, can be separated into sections of 3, and have an adhesive backing which makes it really easy to use. I added an additional resistor to reduce the brightness further so that you can't tell they are on in daylight but are at a realistic level in the dark. I don't bother to switch them on and off which makes it nice and simple. The rectifier and capacitor sit in one of the Mk1 toilets.

Here's the circuit diagram

coachlights.gif

Softvark

:) I'll see what I can do!

I was actually thinking of doing a little post on how I control the layout. It uses Lenz DCC with RailRoad & Co for point and signal control interlocking - plus plenty of MERG modules. Not sure if anyone would be interested in that though.

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
I was actually thinking of doing a little post on how I control the layout. It uses Lenz DCC with RailRoad & Co for point and signal control interlocking - plus plenty of MERG modules. Not sure if anyone would be interested in that though.

Cant speak for anyone else but I would certainly be interested to know how it all works together :)