Liver & Fry's workbench

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Hi James

Glad you like the sheep vans.

The 8T Jones Type Q vans used 3'8" 8 spoke wheels, whereas the Type S Luggage vans used 3'8" Mansell wheels.

I'd recommend painting the body and floors first before assembly, it's a real PITA trying to paint all the bars once the floors are in. On the plus side you can see all the batons on the floor.

Adding sheep is an art form in itself.
Enjoy

Paul

Thank you for the advice! I don't suppose you'd be able to point me in the direction of suitable Jones style brake gear...?

I remain unconvinced by my own efforts on the Jones van, but the sheep vans will require the same style and so I'd like to get it correct if possible.

- James

paul_309

Hi James

As you have the 4mm body kit, for brake gear I suggest Wizard models, the 51L Etched brass Brake lever and Brake lever guide not sure which length tho, the Furness Railway brake shoe seems the nearest match.

Hope this helps

Paul

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Hi James

As you have the 4mm body kit, for brake gear I suggest Wizard models, the 51L Etched brass Brake lever and Brake lever guide not sure which length tho, the Furness Railway brake shoe seems the nearest match.

Hope this helps

Paul

I've got the (medium) brake levers/guides already but I will look into the FR brake shoes, thank you!

I also have an idea that I'm going to test later, so watch this space...

- James

HR Jones 8T Goods Van New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
So, let's try this again shall we?

In light of realising I needed larger wheels on the Jones 8T van, I decided to revisit the brake gear. There's items available on the market for the later style 'long lever acting on a single shoe' set up but I have yet to find anything that represents the earlier Jones style of brake rigging.

In my previous attempt I had spliced together a Highland shoe and a North British push rod - The reason being I had erroneously used a photo of a model for a reference and this model had a guide just behind the shoe, which I took to be integral and so tried to represent. The finished item was, as you'll see, a bit big and so the brake lever was then too short. It didn't look right, but I left it until I could figure out a better solution.

Having looked at drawings of this van and the Jones sheep vans, I realised my mistake and so decided to attempt another cut and shut job using the same donor parts:

20240607_204115.jpg

On the left are the parts used, in the middle is the "original" part removed from the van and on the right is a cut down (and more accurate) version of the part and this is what I shall now be using both on this van and the sheep vans.

20240607_212310.jpg
20240607_213005.jpg

I feel it looks far better with this tweak and, with the larger wheels also fitted, I'm much happier with the look of the model now. Hopefully someone else will agree with me!

- James

HR Jones 8T Goods Van New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
And a final post on the Jones van...

20240607_230223.jpg

All painted and complete!

20240607_230022.jpg

And for comparison - The wheels on the cattle wagon now look really small by comparison, especially as the wagon is taller! I did have to smile at my realisation that the buffers were now the correct height on the van. It hadn't even occurred to me as to why that was the case before the wheel swap!

- James

HR loco coal wagons New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
"Yesterday I successfully managed to glue my fingers together" - is not what I am here to report!

No, yesterday whilst killing time before a night shift I decided to do what I could on the loco coal wagons whilst still waiting for the spring to arrive.

I started with the buffers and drawhooks before tackling the brake gear. The shoes provided were not up to scratch so I did another bodge (I mean, I skillfully used what was available) to create a part that actually aligned with where it was meant to.

I also fathomed out how to incorporate the dual sided release mechanism, albeit with a replacement cross shaft as the whitemetal component was both bent beyond comprehension and, strangely, too long for the width of the wagon.

20240609_085426.jpg20240608_171038.jpg20240609_085628.jpg20240609_090501.jpg

The axleboxes remain unfitted whilst I await the springs, however, they have been prepared accordingly:

20240609_091031.jpg

I do believe they were due to arrive by courier today so maybe I'll have an update later involving a physically complete pair of wagons?

- James

HR loco coal wagons New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
I'm currently playing a game of how far can I get before I can't work on the loco coal wagons because I need to fit the springs?

So far the bodies have had two coats of red oxide and the insides have had an undercoat for painting as wood...

20240611_220736.jpg

I'll focus now on finishing the insides of the wagons and then once the springs arrive and are fitted (along with the axleboxes) I can do all the black ironwork and underframe.

- James

HR loco coal wagons New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Well, the "game" ended rather swiftly this evening with the arrival of said springs (thank you @Overseer and @AJC for the pointers).

This evenings task has been fitting these and the axlebox covers and now I can happily say I have finished physically building the wagons; it's simply a matter of painting and lettering now.

20240612_212127.jpg20240612_212518.jpg

- James

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
The easy way to paint the strapping is to use a cheap bow pen and just run the edge along the raised strap. I find that much easier to keep the paint from straying onto the bodywork than with a brush.

Ian.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Or finish them as they were after the first repaint - red oxide all over. By Drummond’s time the black ironwork was only the delivery scheme for new wagons.

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Great to see this, just redoing 5 of these originally built in oo in 1982.
Trying to get my head around post 1906 brake replacement. Picture in Tatlow shows " cranked brake lever" in LMS days but would the Highland just have doubled up with long straight levers?
IanView attachment 217792

I'm afraid beyond what's in Tatlow, I wouldn't be much help regarding the later brake arrangement.

Wagons look good though! What transfers have you used?

- James