LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

I have advertised on WT the E157 in BR lined maroon. But to be honest, I dont know what was used on the Wadebridge line. Also to be advertised is one of Hornby latest Bow-End non-corridor brake thirds that I resprayed in BR plain maroon.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,

I have advertised on WT the E157 in BR lined maroon. But to be honest, I dont know what was used on the Wadebridge line. Also to be advertised is one of Hornby latest Bow-End non-corridor brake thirds that I resprayed in BR plain maroon.

I know very little about the WR coaches Larry but I do know that the pairs used seem to be referred to as B Sets and these were composed of a variety of diagrams.

I think the E157 is suitable but have no idea about the bow ended. I suspect what I need is a pair of E157s?

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I know very little about the WR coaches Larry but I do know that the pairs used seem to be referred to as B Sets and these were composed of a variety of diagrams.

I think the E157 is suitable but have no idea about the bow ended. I suspect what I need is a pair of E157s?
The E157's were not paired as B-sets. They had conventional buffers both ends. They seemed to run with all-thirds or a brake third.

EDIT : The two B-Sets that worked the Bodmin-Wadebridge service were GWR E147's. On coach was no. W6887W.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The penultimate ex.GWR non-corridor coach for the layout. It's a Dia. C66 all-second in weathered BR carmine red livery...
WEB GWR C66 10.jpg

Bogies are by Hornby and I wish I could obtain these as spares. Hornby wheels are retained on this coach to add weight. Etched-in droplights require extra work at the glazing stage but they are worth it. Dull red seats to show the coach has been re-upholstered since 1935...
WEB GWR C66 11.jpg

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Nice to see a few open droplights, it adds a bit of life to the model, especially if there's the odd passenger or two in the compartment.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Nice to see a few open droplights, it adds a bit of life to the model, especially if there's the odd passenger or two in the compartment.
I do agree there, but 'passengers' is also a hard call if a coach is to spend time in sidings, being shunting around or become an empty stock working.

Imagining the passengers are on train or walking down a platform is part of the game I suppose, like imaging the sounds. DCC sound doesn't really cut it for me.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I've been waiting for BR coach waterslide decals since 21st December, anyway, I was rooting through some boxes of transfers when I came across some elderly decals. Just the job, so today I started to finish off an ex.LMS coach that's been sat around. In fact, it waited so long that I resprayed it blood & custard this morning before applying decals...

WEB Decals 1.jpg

THe numerals are 'Methfix' while the prefix & suffix letters are Modelmaster...
WEB Decals 2.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Good colour match on the numbers Larry.
True Chris. The Modelmaster transfers are old and I had to handle them with care. Spray-varnish will seal everything in the morning.

The coach on the right was taken out of the dustbin just for a look at while the coach on the left was build in December as its replacement in maroon. While waiting for decals, I lost interest in the maroon and resprayed it red & cream! The difference in colours is squarely down to ex.works paint and weathered paint...
WEB LMS D1807 8.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The replacement LMS D1807 Open Second was completed this afternoon. It differs slightly from the one that got scrapped in having a shallower red band above the windows...WEB LMS D1807 9B.jpg

It is also in cleaner condition. This time, the rust weathering was sprayed onto the body with the small spraygun which delivers a fine dust. The earlier coach was weathered with the big gun and the weathering showed on the cream as brown dots.
WEB LMS D1807 9.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A start was made on painting the GWR corridor coaches today beginning with the D121 brake second. But first, the extra door hinges and destination board brackets had to be added. As an experiment, I also added the baffles to the sliding windows...
WEB GWR D121 3.jpg

As mentioned at the time of building them in post No.168, these vehicles were amongst the first low waist coaches. This Comet roof extrusion has a thick gutter and so it better represents the deep gutter fitted to these coaches...
WEB GWR D121 4.jpg
Let spraying commence on this fine blue sky morning.

Deano747

Western Thunderer
A start was made on painting the GWR corridor coaches today beginning with the D121 brake second. But first, the extra door hinges and destination board brackets had to be added. As an experiment, I also added the baffles to the sliding windows...
View attachment 154883

As mentioned at the time of building them in post No.168, these vehicles were amongst the first low waist coaches. This Comet roof extrusion has a thick gutter and so it better represents the deep gutter fitted to these coaches...
View attachment 154884
Let spraying commence on this fine blue sky morning.
Nice builds, Larry!
I assume you have heating in your 'paint shop'? What minimum temperature do you accept? And maximum humidity??
(My current paint room is about 8deg and 78% before heating)

Regards, Rob.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The GWR D121 corridor brake second was finished off today. Adding the baffles to the sliding windows worked well (the sides were painted Dirty-Black) and the model has turned out just as I wanted it. The 'W' prefix has sipped out of alignment, but it can stay that way (I could easily have photoshopped it). But spot the missing end handrails....

WEB GWR D121 5.jpg

The cast suspended gangways add a touch of realism. I will compensate for their weight by replacing the Bachmann wheels with lightweight scale wheels...
WEB GWR D121 6.jpg

Just to prove the handrails have now been fitted :) ...
WEB GWR D121 10.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The final non-corridor coach for Llanfair. Un-boxing a Hornby GWR Diagram E131 composite :p...

WEB GWR E131 1.jpg

The glazing strips were easily removed and the body given a wisp of Halford Plastic Primer to protect the plastic from acrylic-cellulose...
WEB GWR E131 2.jpg

It is a well detailed coach and the bogies are superb..................... The interior first class seats need painting though...
WEB GWR E131 3.jpgWEB GWR E131 4.jpg

Repainted in weathered carmine and ready to enter service. It's all GWR corridor coaches from now on...
WEB GWR E131 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I am reducing the number of BR maroon coaches ad so this LMS D1751 was almost scrapped this morning as I thought spraying over the livery would block up the detail. Before...
WEB LMS D1751 9C.jpg
After...
The livery was 'killed' with Halford grey plastic primer followed on with two coats of cream. It looked okay, so the carmine & cream livery was completed and weathered as previously...
WEB LMS D1751 9B.jpg
There is no doubt that this livery gives coaches character. I haven't a lot of use for first class in the excursions and troop movements on my layout, but I think I have an occasional use for it...
WEB LMS D1751 9.jpg