LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Anther repaint from BR maroon into carmine & cream. This is a D1916/D1946 open brake third. I added an open lavatory window...
WEB LMS D1946 2.jpg
David Jenkinson described Period III coaches as not always renown for thier rust inhibiting quality. This model shows typical wear and tear at panel joins with beading strips added to protect these joins...
WEN LMS D1946 1.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The final GWR coach on the construction list to replace a damaged Hornby Hawksworth. This D127 brass model uses Comet sides and my parts and will benefit from the scrap Hornby interior and bogies. The D127's were built between 1938 and 1941...
WEB GWR D127 0.jpg
The bottom door hinger were soldered into slots last night. Middle and top hinges will be from 10thou plastikard...
WEB GWR D127 1.jpg

My floors have fold-up ends. The excess solder is to hold the folded up steps rigid...
WEB GWR D127 2B.jpg

The brake end did not have steps, so I used a Comet plain end off a non-corridor coach...
WEB GWR D127 2.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
London Midland Region coach number transfers arrived from Modelmaster yesterday and so I can now get on with repainting a friends Hornby 'Coronation Scot' coaches in BR carmine & cream. They have been on hold for several months.

The first job after carefully removing all the glazing was to remove all traces of previous insignia. I make no attempt to remove the silver stripes becasue of the risk of damaging door hinges etc. The whole body including roof and ends is sprayed with Halfords grey Plastic Primer to protect the Hornby paint from the likes of car paints and matt black. I use the latter on roofs and ends. These are the corridor brake firsts...
WEB Corrie coaches 1.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Look, we know you're getting on a bit in years, but how do you fancy helping us unblock a sewer?
No thanks.
Okay. so how about repainting some Hornby 'Coronation Scot' coaches for us?
I'll unblock the sewer.

This sums up my feelings about rtr coaches. They weren't designed to be taken apart and the glazing removed. A resprayed Coronation Scot all first...
WEB Corrie coaches 4.jpg

Note the different height. I put this down to the bogies which look too tall and all wrong...
WEB Corrie coaches 6.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Ex. Coronation Scot diner open third in BR livery. This and two others bring the Corrie train repaints to and end. Hornby accurately modelled the roof pod which differed on this coach from all the others. I think it would be worthwhile for Hornby to produce a run of some of these coaches in carmine & cream seeing as they re-entered service after the war, but not as set trains. I have a photo of one coupled to non-corridor coaches on Oldham Loop services in the mid 1950's.
WEB Corrie coaches 7.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Under the hammer. Well, not literally, but I have to decide whether to add a yellow line under the gutter to make it resemble LMS livery or take it to pieces and re-spray it carmine & cream. As it stands, it is the wrong period since the period of the layout moved to early 1950s...
WEB LMS D1904 9.jpg
Added line to make it LMS. The arrival of grandchildren to see grandy gives me some time to think about it. Murt admit it am leaning more towards B & C ....
WEB LMS D1904 9B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Moving the period of the layout to the early 1950's opened a new door and allows me to add pre-grouping stock. So this LNWR diagram 307 corridor brake third will take shape over the coming week. Pretty well identical coaches were converted from WW1 ambulance stock after the grouping of the railways and appeared in the LMS diagram book as D1712. Livery will be LMS maroon with BR markings...

WEB LNWR D307 brake third 1.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
An all-metal interior was soldered together seeing as non on the stock of plastic interiors were right. My 'orrible bogies can be seen with cast whitemetal top plates...
WEB LNWR D306 3B.jpg

My LNWR bogies are a nightmare. They were cast years ago at a very favourable price, but it was false economy and they are as soft as putty. It took 10 sideframes to produce two bogies and wasted three hours. Tiebars are etched. The extra hinges are shown...
WEB LNWR D306 3C.jpg

Finished awaiting painting...
WEB LNWR D306 4.jpg

The intention was to build a 3-coach LMS Inter-District set of LNWR stock, but after todays episode, I am less inclined to build another LNWR coach...
WEB LNWR D306 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Livery will be LMS maroon I said. Well no, it was too dull. BR had the good sense to paint some in plain carmine red and that is what I've gone for...
WEB LNWR D306 6.jpg
It needs a corridor composite companion now and another brake third to make an LMS Inter-District set...

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I would like to build an homogenous 'Inter-district' set of matching period coaches. The usual consist was a Bk.3rd / Compo/ Bk third, but they did vary as well. If one of the three coaches was taken out, it was replaced by a coach with similar characteristics.

In its original form, the 3-coach set could be LNWR, but one of the brake thirds could have been replaced by a LMS Period I brake third. There are unpteen variations. Without costing a penny, I could build my own LNWR all third and an LMS Period I bk. compo so it would represent an original LNWR set. Instead, I have made enquiries to see if one of my 15 year old etched sheets containing three different LMS Period I corridor coaches can be run off. This will allow me to produce an original LMS set with an LNWR replacement coach.