Kingswear for Dartmouth

David B

Western Thunderer
Fabulous - this just goes on getting better and better. I’d love to know more about how you’ve made the water look so real - are there any tips you can share?

AJC

Western Thunderer
I’ve also just weathered three more wagons for the coal train. Modelling Kingswear in ‘48/‘49 we feel we can add these ex-PO repainted BR opens into the train.View attachment 153809 View attachment 153811View attachment 153812 View attachment 153813

Very nicely done - but, assuming such repaints were done at this date (which I’m not sure they were), would they have got this dirty and worn that quickly? Main works were still turning out wagons in pre-Nationalisation colours with BR numbering so which wagon repairers were, in the midst of the renumbering programme for ex-PO wagons, carrying out full repaints?

We - and I’m as guilty of this as anyone - tend to weather absolutely everything when, of course, lots of things were new, or at least freshly repainted. All that said, this really will be a splendid model and already looks fabulous.

Adam

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Beautiful and highly skilled modelling on that sea front along with so much apparent depth. I'm afraid PO and indeed Big Four wagons would be seen running in existing liveries in 1949 and for a time longer while priority was given elsewhere.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Dear All,
Thank you for the kind and constructive comments.
The water;
The base is all hand painted by me using acrylics to create the different effects of depth etc (please see previous posts).
From here, I didn’t read the instructions and actually applied the Woodland Scenics ‘Water Ripples’ and the Woodland Scenics ‘Realistic Water’ the wrong way around.
*I would suggest anyone using these products applies them correctly.
The ripples product is quite a thick consistency and the ripples stay - within reason - where you put them (I use a 2” brush to apply).
However, I think the end result is okay - it may require tweaking in certain areas with extra ripples on top of the layer of realistic water. The realistic water is self levelling (should be used first for obvious reasons) and has flattened out the ripples in certain areas - prototypical on a river maybe? I’ll see…

The weathering and BR painted ex-PO wagons;
Adam, I concur with you and actually said to Paul (Kingswear’s owner) that one or two of the wagons were probably a little too weathered for the period, but I was more conscious I wanted them all to be slightly different, and thought, perhaps wrongly, that being coal wagons they would dirty up fairly quickly.
Larry; I understand now that these are incorrect for period, including Adam’s additional observation of the weathering.
Paul has a more flexible timescale than I write up on here - I’m the thorn in his side, as I’d like the layout to plump on a year (‘49) he’s much more relaxed and says the period is ‘48-‘52. Therefore, perhaps the ex-PO wagon livery and weathering in this case would tie in better with the top end of Paul’s timescale? Maybe I’m just hoping, haha. I’m sure knowing him, he’ll run them anyway!

Thank you All again,
Neil.

Last edited:

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
There hasn’t been an update on Kingswear for a while as due to various reasons, we’ve had a break of two plus months.
Nigel Smith and Paul Woodward have been cracking on with the point rodding and signalling (Nigel’s already built a number of beautiful signals that are gradually being installed) pictures and video to follow hopefully - “Nige!”
I’ve managed to fit and detail the estate fencing around Greenway House and add a couple of Modelu figures that I’ve painted up I hope in period colour dress to Paul Bambrick’s beautiful Greenway boathouse.285CB7FE-983C-45B5-B0F1-D227FE5D2207.jpeg11D30FD6-E237-4FAE-BED2-08A032ED53CE.jpeg4A580E73-1DF6-46BC-95D1-91A217B0A419.jpeg7A56501C-85C2-4608-8655-F154935A7C57.jpeg

Last edited:

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Absolutely superb.
Looks like real, is it, are they cheat photos?
Perhaps a 'hand from the sky' to convince lesser mortals like me!;)

Joking aside, it is an encouragement to me, and I hope, many of us.

Regards
Allen

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
After another protracted period away from the layout, Paul, Nige and myself managed to get back for a day of work on Kingswear. The layout is close to completion, but it’s the classic last 10% taking 90% of the time .
Paul has now completed the wonderful signalling diagram, Nige has been working on building and fitting the lovely signals and point rodding and I’ve been adding and retouching scenery;
2531CB3E-FBF5-41B8-AAE9-74494472EF5F.jpeg
3D1DD272-EB48-4A62-AA83-0C07EA8679F7.jpeg6D576AD2-B6A5-45F7-A4F0-176DDD30D0BE.jpeg57AE2760-EAF5-41D6-AD20-0A4A3D74DEAC.jpeg6AC49086-553C-49D3-B8B2-00CE0A9C019F.jpeg178068D2-45EA-4F0D-8804-78ABBED8A7E3.jpeg
Neil.

Attachments

• 4F1117CB-9757-401F-9A69-0FFE431D80DC.jpeg
    4F1117CB-9757-401F-9A69-0FFE431D80DC.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 39

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
It's very nice but I think something has just jarred with me. The model seems to be much more complicated than the real station ever was.
In reality there was only one island platform, there are other things as well but of course rule 1 always applies but....