John’s workbench - a miscellany.

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
So I feel like I’m at a crossroads…..

My 2mmFS class 08 chassis is causing me great frustration with the idea of trying to solder on microscopic washers without soldering the whole of the rods solid. It’s hard enough getting the washers on the crank pins, never mind soldering them. Dear Gilly said to me earlier, why don’t I pack this in and buy one about THIS big, her hands gesturing to about a 7mm scale loco…. It’s a matter of pride and determination I thought, this shouldn’t be able to beat me, but then I look at the pile of half wrecked wagon kits, the stalled Coal Tank and so on and think maybe she is right, maybe I’m about to go big EM, or bigger, 7mm… I know there are microscopic parts in all scales, but at least the most important ones are bigger!

I expect we will compromise, slim down my ambitions for 2mm and go larger slowly, the Bigger scales are more expensive, though 2mm is gaining fast, but right now it’s back to the washers and the fag paper and the big eye glass…try it one more time.D5BA1434-B84B-4DBF-9603-38199F6BADC4.jpeg

EM Query

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
I’ve decided to put the 2mm work into the loop for a short time and have an EM express go by. See above for more.

A change is as good as a rest they say, so I’m hoping to have a bash at something slightly bigger. First up will probably be a High Level 03 chassis under an eBay rescue body, and a few wagons.

First wagon will be a Cooper Craft loco coal wagon. I’m hoping some kind soul could advise me of the correct wheels for this wagon as mine has none at all?

I‘ve A few ideas floating around but nothing definite yet.

Cheers
John

AJC

Western Thunderer
First wagon will be a Cooper Craft loco coal wagon. I’m hoping some kind soul could advise me of the correct wheels for this wagon as mine has none at all?

Hi John,

Looking forward to seeing more. The wheels would mostly likely be 3' 1/2" eight spokes (or 12mm, in the usual 4mm nominal size), from your preferred supplier.

Adam

EM progress 03 query

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
I got the wheels thanks for the info above, Wizard Models very quick.

Turning to the 03, the body is being prepared for detailing and an order list being prepared. Does anybody know of a source for these tanks on the footplate and the forward cabinets at all?

Pictures soon.

Cheers
John

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
I got the wheels thanks for the info above, Wizard Models very quick.

Turning to the 03, the body is being prepared for detailing and an order list being prepared. Does anybody know of a source for these tanks on the footplate and the forward cabinets at all?

Pictures soon.

Cheers
John

The air brake kit on the 03? If you know the sizes of the real thing they're pretty easy to knock up from plastic sheet and/or tube. Once upon a time, I suspect the answer would have been Craftsman (long gone) or A1 (ditto, possibly mostly best forgotten). Whether these fittings would be contemporary with the kind of wagon the CooperCraft kit represents, I don't know! Whatever, I'll bet someone, somewhere, has done the work towards a 3D print.

Adam

Last edited:

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Adam thanks and I’m glad to see someone is paying attention regarding the periods….

Source of 03 class drawings anybody? Some scratch-building to do here maybe.

John

AJC

Western Thunderer
Oh, that's excellent! Good news (but be careful with the printed pipework!). I'll look forward to seeing them installed.

Adam

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Today I have managed to drill the holes in the cab for handrails. Progress! I am wondering how best to create the bonnet handrails which seem to have a middle prong that isn’t like your traditional handrail knob. Can they just be soldered on using a jig? Would it be strong enough??

Also getting a replacement set of frames together for a 4 wheel SM32 loco.Careful sawing going on when time allows.
Pictures soon.

John

jonte

Western Thunderer
Today I have managed to drill the holes in the cab for handrails. Progress! I am wondering how best to create the bonnet handrails which seem to have a middle prong that isn’t like your traditional handrail knob. Can they just be soldered on using a jig? Would it be strong enough??

Also getting a replacement set of frames together for a 4 wheel SM32 loco.Careful sawing going on when time allows.
Pictures soon.

John

Yo, Johnny

Congrats on your progress to date, and on several fronts by all accounts :thumbs:

There are probably those here more experienced than I to advise, but until somebody puts their head above the parapet, I’ll try and do my best.

To start, am I correct in thinking the model to which you refer is the Class 03 shunter? If so - and please forgive me if I’m barking up the wrong tree :rolleyes: - I’ve had a butcher’s at several examples on line which appear to have handrails with three prongs that go into the body instead of the normal two, so would I be right in thinking it’s to this extra ‘prong’ in the handrails that you refer? (there’s a prominent long one across the rear of the cab and a series of them along the edges of the roof).

If so, I can assure you that any thin brass or nickel handrail wire soldered on will be strong enough to do the job when handled with the normal care, of course :thumbs:

I would bend the ends as per usual to form the main ‘normal’ handrail, before placing it on a scrap section of say ply, on top of which I would place a section of 1” x 1” or 2” x 1” batten, and place the handrail into the crease where the two meet. Then, take a section of wire which will act as your extra - third - prong, and place it against the main handrail at the point where it meets. This part is essential: cut the length of the extra prong over length as it will enable the wire to be held in place such that the blutac or whatever you use to fix it down to the ply surface, is well away from the point of contact of the wires. This extra length will also facilitate easier placing of the three wires into their respective holes in the cab body, as lining up two ends - if you follow my drift - is easier than three ;)

Once fixed down as described, John, clean the end of the extra handrail where it meets the main handrail, including the main handrail itself, with a fibreglass brush, then flux and solder with a dab of solder on the end of the iron. Any excess can be tidied by cleaning with the fibreglass pencil, although by using a small amount on the top of the iron alone, it should be neat enough.

I used the a above procedure to make these:

IMG_1733.jpegIMG_1705.jpeg

Hope it helps, John, or at least until somebody with an inkling might come along and offer something more suitable.

Perhaps a thread on the ‘Questions’ forum might prove fruitful? However, if you need any of the above clarifying, just let me know.

Cheers for now,

Jon

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
So I feel like I’m at a crossroads…..

My 2mmFS class 08 chassis is causing me great frustration with the idea of trying to solder on microscopic washers without soldering the whole of the rods solid. It’s hard enough getting the washers on the crank pins, never mind soldering them. Dear Gilly said to me earlier, why don’t I pack this in and buy one about THIS big, her hands gesturing to about a 7mm scale loco…. It’s a matter of pride and determination I thought, this shouldn’t be able to beat me, but then I look at the pile of half wrecked wagon kits, the stalled Coal Tank and so on and think maybe she is right, maybe I’m about to go big EM, or bigger, 7mm… I know there are microscopic parts in all scales, but at least the most important ones are bigger!

I expect we will compromise, slim down my ambitions for 2mm and go larger slowly, the Bigger scales are more expensive, though 2mm is gaining fast, but right now it’s back to the washers and the fag paper and the big eye glass…try it one more time.View attachment 182430
Although the larger scale models are often easier on the eyes/easier to handle, there is of course the temptation to add more detail. I occasionally take a break from my 7mm modelling and build a G-Scale loco. It's a lot easier to see everything, but it's very easy to get carried away with more and more detail.

The big advantage of course with the smaller scale stuff is that you have more space for a layout, rather than a shunting plank, or even just a static display.

Mike

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Although the larger scale models are often easier on the eyes/easier to handle, there is of course the temptation to add more detail. I occasionally take a break from my 7mm modelling and build a G-Scale loco. It's a lot easier to see everything, but it's very easy to get carried away with more and more detail.

The big advantage of course with the smaller scale stuff is that you have more space for a layout, rather than a shunting plank, or even just a static display.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Space is rather a problem in either scale right now so I may have to content myself with two short planks…

I have gone a wee bit down the EM route without spending very much, another issue, and it has been refreshing, but the 2mil bug is also twitching again too, so we’ll see.

Basically I’m happy so long as I’m making something!!

cheers John

@jonte thanks to you too. Your idea seems good, I will get to work on it as soon as possible and report back!

cheers again

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Sitting in the shade getting some modelling done this week - some progress:

Slowly drilling many holes in the 03 for handrails which are also being made up and held in a small packet for now. I’ll add the soldered bits soon. Some more filling and blending to do.

MDA wagon getting there, needs some investment in etched brake levers etc but I want to get some paint and weathering on the body and needs decals too.

4C5C4FBF-3B66-43EC-826F-FA2C694F9E92.jpeg09D23FF8-C364-4163-85CC-6BE96ADEF1CA.jpeg

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
I would bend the ends as per usual to form the main ‘normal’ handrail, before placing it on a scrap section of say ply, on top of which I would place a section of 1” x 1” or 2” x 1” batten, and place the handrail into the crease where the two meet. Then, take a section of wire which will act as your extra - third - prong, and place it against the main handrail at the point where it meets. This part is essential: cut the length of the extra prong over length as it will enable the wire to be held in place such that the blutac or whatever you use to fix it down to the ply surface, is well away from the point of contact of the wires. This extra length will also facilitate easier placing of the three wires into their respective holes in the cab body, as lining up two ends - if you follow my drift - is easier than three ;)

Once fixed down as described, John, clean the end of the extra handrail where it meets the main handrail, including the main handrail itself, with a fibreglass brush, then flux and solder with a dab of solder on the end of the iron. Any excess can be tidied by cleaning with the fibreglass pencil, although by using a small amount on the top of the iron alone, it should be neat enough.
Thanks @jonte I spent a pleasant afternoon yesterday in the shade with Gilly listening a week behind (so sshhhh!) to the first Ashes test. Kept myself busy with my little Antex and a heap of brass wire which is now a pile of 3 pronged handrails ready to be cleaned and painted. The longer centre prong was a particularly good tip thanks!

Photos soon, still got a lot of tiny handles to make for the access panels on the bonnet and a few more handrails, my chosen loco has a few extra than some looking at my photo collection.

Cheers!
John

jonte

Western Thunderer
Thanks @jonte I spent a pleasant afternoon yesterday in the shade with Gilly listening a week behind (so sshhhh!) to the first Ashes test. Kept myself busy with my little Antex and a heap of brass wire which is now a pile of 3 pronged handrails ready to be cleaned and painted. The longer centre prong was a particularly good tip thanks!

Photos soon, still got a lot of tiny handles to make for the access panels on the bonnet and a few more handrails, my chosen loco has a few extra than some looking at my photo collection.

Cheers!
John
My pleasure, John, and glad to be of help.

Jon