In and Out Buildings - Thoughts and Research

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Here’s another useful tool when working with a “dead” car in a tight space - wheel skates. Unfortunately they don’t raise the vehicle much and the wheels have to stay on the car. But if space is at a premium (it always is!) then positioning the car can be achieved with a good push. The nylon wheels are a good idea, too.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Well, I have completed painting two coats on the floor. We'll see how it stands up to future wear as I think it was too early to paint as the slab has not had time to fully dry out. Another attempt next summer is on the cards.

Still too much rain to complete the west facing window painting. We now wait 7 days for the floor to dry and cure before the Kestrel can enter. Meantime, a new Riley (well, actually it's 88 years old) is expected on Wednesday. It's future winter home will be the Motor House but while the Kestrel is being restored it will stay in the main garage.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
No painting, awoke to wet everywhere, very humid. Perhaps Friday 13th?

Meanwhile, I made two wheel blocks. They are about 1 foot square and 10 “ high. Remember my vintage wheels are 19” x 4.50.

8ACE1C21-4297-48B6-9400-7069045A65A7.jpeg

i may make two more and if I can find the right locking castors, add them and have a mobile platform for vey little outlay.

michael080

Western Thunderer
Paul,
if you have enough material left, you might want to make their lower base rectangular rather than square shaped. This would increase stability if the car stands on four platforms.
Michael

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Good point, Michael but not too far!

I have found a set of castors with locking pedals for around £12. £48 for sixteen is about as inexpensive as a good four wheel moveable support for a small car could cost (the timber is “free”).

Edit to upgrade choice to £20 per set. Still good value and excellent reviews. Will probably buy just before needing them.

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The last few days have seen the end of painting with good and not so good results. The wood painting has gone well, the floor painting not so well. I did not allow the slab to dry out enough, but that can be remedied next year.

The Kestrel has been moved inside but not yet into the right position for restoration so I am going ahead with building four blocks with brakes on the castors.

The new arrival is proving to be a very nice acquisition:

160B2EA3-BDB9-43D2-AFD6-26AE68DE0081.jpeg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thats a beautiful car. I have always had a liking for cars built before my time because of the 1950's stuff.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The portaloo in my last photo is posing a problem. The leasing company "doesn't know when it can pick it up now that it's no longer needed". I have suggested that if they don't pick it up soon I may throw it into the Itchen River (famed Hampshire chalk water trout stream with very expensive fishing rights for the wealthy). I hope they don't think I am jesting. Well, perhaps I am but they don't need to know that. Any way, what ever happened to the "customer is always right"? Oh, but wait a minute, that is not a British expression, is it?

It is strange, but I think many will agree with this. You decide to do something to improve your quality of life. You engage reputable people to do the work. They use sub contractors. You find out the truth that once the job is "finished" everyone packs up their tools and leaves. You are expected to cough up the remaining payment for a job well done. But nobody asks you if the job was indeed well done.

I am being a bit harsh on the hard workers but they are so often let down by those that don't care to the same degree. In the past year we have had some superb work done by real artisans, but at the end of the day it is often the project management that fails to deliver.

To illustrate this, we had some rotting wooden windows replaced by a local company. The salesman has never followed up on "his" sale and indeed quoted for more windows than we actually have. That having been caught, the actual installation went well, but not enough material was available to finish the job properly. Threatening letters to pay the final 10% have not materialized, no one has contacted us about the missing material, and our calls and emails have been ignored. We understand the owner of the company has moved to Jersey "for family reasons" and no longer corresponds with customers. Ha ha ha! And you wonder why?

I am a nice person, but there comes a time when I decide to be not nice. However, I should add that much of the work done on my out building really doesn't fit in to this scenario of disappointments. However, I did notice today that one of the double glazing panels has misted up inside. . . .

Here we go again!

adrian

Flying Squad
Sorry to hear of your woes.
The leasing company "doesn't know when it can pick it up now that it's no longer needed". I have suggested that if they don't pick it up soon I may throw it into the Itchen River (famed Hampshire chalk water trout stream with very expensive fishing rights for the wealthy). I hope they don't think I am jesting.
You could always try sending them a letter giving them the option of either collecting the portaloo from you in a timely manner or authorise you to dispose of it on their behalf. Stipulate a time frame e.g. 14 days by which if you have not received instruction for collection or disposal then they will incur storage charges - be reasonable say £20 a day. Send them a reminder after 7 days and then a final notice. For disposal don't chuck it in the river - environment agency might be miffed - no stick it up on eBay and you might get a couple of hundred quid for it.

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Hi Adrian

Sometimes you have to see the funny side, hence my bad humour about throwing a portaloo into a trout stream. An idle threat, as you suggest.

It will be moved today, I hope, but not off the property. It is currently blocking our side driveway which is needed to park the young Riley (well, it is younger than me!). I am not sure I could shift it myself, and if I damaged it in the process, well, you know what would happen next!

simond

Western Thunderer
I have heard that scaffolding companies habitually use the last customer’s premises as a convenient storage yard for their steelwork, as this reduces the time & expense of loading the lorry and transport. Adrian’s proposal sounds most reasonable.

Alternatively, simply leave it on the roadside. It has their name on it, I presume?

or advertise “free to good home, yours on collection” on Gumtree…

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
t will be moved today, I hope, but not off the property. It is currently blocking our side driveway which is needed to park the young Riley (well, it is younger than me!). I am not sure I could shift it myself, and if I damaged it in the process, well, you know what would happen next!

I'd be inclined to move it to another part of the garden and build a wooden surround to disguise it. May come in useful for outdoor parties.

Or place it beside the road and charge patrons to use it.