Full Size Help Finding An Image Of New Radnor Station

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I'm quite sure my memory is not playing tricks on me, but I could do with some help to prove it!

At some point in the last couple of years, I'm sure I've seen a large photo taken of New Radnor Station, looking from the hillside down onto the station with the goods siding in the foreground. I think it was a two page spread, in black and white. It was quite an evocative photo and I've been trying to remember where I saw it. I can't remember whether someone showed me the photo, or I'd seen it flicking through a book for sale. I've got the New Radnor Branch book by Wild Swan (recently read again, hence the enquiry) and its not in there, neither is it in any of the GWR branchline books I have.

Does the description ring any bells with anyone, and if so, do you know the title of the book the photo is in?

Thanks for any help
Steve

Neil

Western Thunderer
Hello Steve, I too had a look in the Wild Swan New Radnor book, and there's nothing that properly matches your description, however in the wild Swan Tanat Valley book there is a double page spread that does. Keep an eye out for an e-mail.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Hi Neil
Thanks for the email - sent a reply :thumbs:
I'm sure that wasn't the photo I'm thinking of, my mind is telling me the lines diverged on the RHS of the photo, fanning out towards the LHS - but that was a beautiful photo of the Tanat Valley though :)
Steve

John D

Western Thunderer
history.powys.org.uk/school1/presteigne/newrad2.shtml

I don't know if this is any use Steve but I Googled in 'New Radnor station' and the above link came up......no aerial photos but there is a small track plan of the station if that helps........

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Cheers John :)
There is a fair bit out there on the web, I think I went through most of it after I saw Geoff's Penhydd :D
Shame I can't scan through books quite so quickly :))
Steve

S

Simon Dunkley

Sorry, I missed this thread.

Anyone foolish enough to spend much time in the garage railway room runs the risk of me pulling out said picture and boring them with praise for it: quite simply the photo which I think shows what I want to achieve more than anything else with my modelling: not necessarily the exact scene, but the "look and feel". Anyway, I keep the picture in the middle of my copy of the New Radnor book, but the "centrefold" came from British Railway Journal, issue 46. You can get a copy on-line easily enough, if you wish it.

The picture was taken from the side of a hill known to locals as "The Smatcher". No idea why!

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Hurrah!
It was you then :)
Cheers Simon, much appreciated, at least I know I wasn't imagining things :D
I think an order at a certain emporium is due ;)

Simon

Flying Squad
Well spotted that Simon!

Still available, copy duly packed up for despatch to Cookshire on Monday.

It really is a stunning picture.

In the meantime here are some shots I took in October 2005, after the old man had died and during the period (I think) when the son was trying to get planning permssion to build on at least part of the site. I understand it has remained as a caravan/camp site since then, but possibly with some work having been done to the station building.

Goods shed, totally original, still in light and dark stone.
Anewradnor2.jpg

Station building, repainted woodwork, but a long time before my shot.

Anewradnor.jpg

Water tower, the tank's bottom has rusted through, causing one end to drop down over the brick piers.
Anewradnor3.jpg

Station entrance, the hut to left is original. The sum total of what's missing from site since closure is one other hut, the ground frame hut and of course the railway track.
Anewradnor4.jpg

It's a lovely spot - how about having a WT camp/get together there later in the year? I'd be up for it and I know Harry & Charlie are keen to get the camping gear out again...

Simon

S

Simon Dunkley

Lovely photos, Simon: thank you so much for posting them.

Subject to availability, and despite my dislike of camping (the whole point of civilisation, as far as I am concerned, is to get us into solid houses where we can build model railways), I am up for a GTG sometime.

Steve, during the period of the photo, I think there were actually two sidings, but your site is about half of that required for a scale model - and this a small prototype - so a single siding should do it! The picture itself is fascinating, as the yard is actually quite busy - a total of four wagons, 3 more than often the case and twice the typical (freight traffic was so light it could often be accommodated in the guard's compartment of the passenger trains). But there is another traffic present, in that there is a lot of timber, in the form of sawn trunks, etc. A big load would be built up, and then a special would be sent down with the appropriate wagons plus a wagon-mounted crane. Once loading was finished, the whole lot went away again until next time.

Signalling wise it is interesting, too: there weren't any, after the early 1900s, at least. Just a four lever ground frame controlling two points and their respective catch points and facing point locks, all in a little hut and released via Annet's key on the staff - no ticket. Like the LNWR Red Wharf Bay branch, trains did not come under the control of fixed signals. No accidents resulted from this "lack". I do wonder if some of the lighter branches were a bit over-signalled.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Cheers for posting those pics Simon C, marvellous :) I've not seen the water tower up close in the book I've got - although it doesn't look like it was going to hang around for much longer after your photo - I wonder if its still on the tilt :D

I'd be up for a GTG too :thumbs:

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Steve, during the period of the photo, I think there were actually two sidings, but your site is about half of that required for a scale model - and this a small prototype - so a single siding should do it!
Ah, earlier photo than I remembered then, excellent. I reckon a scale model would need something like 11 1/2 foot between the first tiebar and the end of the loco release, so it would have to suffer some compression in my hands. Mind you, whilst I'm collecting info because I like the line, seeing if it can outflank Hemyock in my desirability stakes is another matter! The reality is I need to move house before considering either, but I'm enjoying collecting info and letting my mind wander :) Speaking of wandering, and distraction photo's this one sums up where I would like to be heading.
The picture itself is fascinating, as the yard is actually quite busy - a total of four wagons, 3 more than often the case and twice the typical (freight traffic was so light it could often be accommodated in the guard's compartment of the passenger trains). But there is another traffic present, in that there is a lot of timber, in the form of sawn trunks, etc. A big load would be built up, and then a special would be sent down with the appropriate wagons plus a wagon-mounted crane. Once loading was finished, the whole lot went away again until next time.
I'm looking forward to BRJ46 arriving even more :) I'd seen the references to sawn trunks in the Wild Swan book, but that didn't acknowledge the 'special'. Its got quite a lot going for it hasn't it....
Signalling wise it is interesting, too: there weren't any, after the early 1900s, at least. Just a four lever ground frame controlling two points and their respective catch points and facing point locks, all in a little hut and released via Annet's key on the staff - no ticket. Like the LNWR Red Wharf Bay branch, trains did not come under the control of fixed signals. No accidents resulted from this "lack". I do wonder if some of the lighter branches were a bit over-signalled.
Easily modelled point rodding (and a hidden ground frame - excellent ;)). I like the variation in track that you can see in the late 40's and early 50's - I'm not sure what they actually used for a strech of what was planned to be the main line, but with tiebars between the rails, it all looks just a little bit different, and subsequently interesting. Mmm, has anyone actually modelled this place before I wonder?

Steve

S

Simon Dunkley

Thanks for the picture - I trust Geoff (Sparky) has seen it: lovely.

I'm looking forward to BRJ46 arriving even more :) I'd seen the references to sawn trunks in the Wild Swan book, but that didn't acknowledge the 'special'. Its got quite a lot going for it hasn't it....
The special doesn't feature, just the piles of timber. There is mention of them sending a crane down to do the lifting, the rest I just worked out from my basic knowledge of railway operations.
Incidentally, I found out that in the period in which Barry Norman set Lydham Heath, there was a lot of timber shifted from the goods yard there, and the BCR laid in a short length of track, split and slewed the existing siding to connect to it, put a crane wagon on the extra track, disconnected the siding, slewed it back and reconnected, and they then had a crane which could be moved up and down a fair few yards, have the safety clips tightened, and be used where it was needed.

Not seen a model of New Radnor, but whilst it has the benefit of minimal stock requirements ( 48xx, B-set, Toad and half a dozen wagons including a "Tredegar" PO) that is about it. It might get a bit dull, unless "Rule No. 1" is applied.

I have Templotted it out for S scale in my garage. My, it needs space - about the same as East Lynn (minus the harbour and Nunstanton)!

28ten

Guv'nor
There are a lot of caravans up there ATM.
I could take you all for a bike ride back up to Kington then to Titley over to Presteigne, up the hill to Knighton along the valley to follow the central Wales line to Crossgates and back to New Radnor.

Simon

Flying Squad
There are a lot of caravans up there ATM.
I could take you all for a bike ride back up to Kington then to Titley over to Presteigne, up the hill to Knighton along the valley to follow the central Wales line to Crossgates and back to New Radnor.

And how many miles is that Guv?

Simon

Flying Squad
Rough guess about 50ish not the flattest either.
My boys would be up for camping :) the Railway at Titley is short but worth a visit, and its not that far to Hay

Not sure we/I could cope with the cycling but interested in the camping idea. Lesley would like the idea of visiting Hay, but on the whole thinks she'd cope better with a postcard from the happy campers than doing the camping thing herself. Might be persuadable though.

I've just looked at their website and its been tidied up a heck of a lot since Tim and I were there. Still a nice place though - we could give him a bit of advice about his station sign though - it's a Southern bulls eye!!

See you tomorrow at the O gauge thing, I'm going to try to get there early....

Simon

28ten

Guv'nor
Not sure we/I could cope with the cycling but interested in the camping idea. Lesley would like the idea of visiting Hay, but on the whole thinks she'd cope better with a postcard from the happy campers than doing the camping thing herself. Might be persuadable though.

I've just looked at their website and its been tidied up a heck of a lot since Tim and I were there. Still a nice place though - we could give him a bit of advice about his station sign though - it's a Southern bulls eye!!

See you tomorrow at the O gauge thing, I'm going to try to get there early....

Simon
Elizabeth will go camping, which saves us cooking :))

PMP

Western Thunderer
New Radnor is one of the stations on my 'to do' list, I also wrote a bit about it here

http://albionyard.wordpress.com/2011/12/25/new-radnor-stepping-stone-to-finescale/

The two page spread is in the BRJ as suggested, I bought the WSP book many years ago and have been trawling the shows for images but with no success. There has been a layout in 4mm of it, quite a while ago, I think it was OO and IIRC not at the right hand end of the 'exhibition standard' scale.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Hi PMP
Its creaking up my 'to do' list too :) I've read your blog (and RM article), both made for a good read and a bit of extra inspiration to boot.
My copy of the relevant BRJ arrived last week, it really is a cracking shot and would make a nice framed print for the railway room. I think New Radnor also has the benefit of being preceeded by an interesting station (Dolyhir) such that if one starts down a finescale path, an extension (possibly the other side of the shed / garage / room etc) back down the line is a viable and interesting proposition...still, not in the space I've currently got :(

Geoff (via Dunks I think) also recommended The Facility of Locomotion, The Kington Railways by Sinclair and Fenn. There aren't any new pics of New Radnor that aren't in the WSP book, but plenty of shots of the surrounding area, line and some great atmosphere to boot - worth tracking a copy down if you haven't already.
Cheers
Steve