Full Size Help Finding An Image Of New Radnor Station

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Had a bit of a road trip yesterday in the Caterham, heading out into Mid-Wales for a spot of scenery appreciation (and a little bit of hooning if I'm honest ;) ). One of the stops on the way was New Radnor - I'd driven past it last year without realising, so made more of an effort this time round. I popped in to the office briefly to get some prices for camping, then on my way out snapped the goods shed which is still standing derelict but looks in pretty good repair.

Cat at New Radnor.JPG

A close up shot without the toy

New Radnor Goods Shed.JPG

The station building has also been extended - I didn't go any closer as people were staying in it and I'd woken up most of the campsite with my arrival anyway :oops:

New Radnor Station Extension.JPG

I did start tracing the route of the line, but having got to Dolyhir to find the building in the middle of a quarry I gave up, snapped a shot as close as I could get (and you can't see the building anyway!) and carried on with my tour.

Close to Dolyhir Station.JPG

I had a good look for Penhydd but couldn't find it anywhere :)) I have to say that Geoff has captured the area very nicely indeed - in hindsight I could have just stayed at home and read his blog! I spent an hour or so driving the local roads and soaking up what it all looks and feels like, then drove the A44 towards Rhayader to get an idea of the type of terrain to be crossed if the line had continued westward. Its all rather pleasant, even if your a**e is only six inches off the deck :D Not the most suitable transport for a 'recon', but I wouldn't have it any other way - if 'summer' stays, I'll do it again :)

28ten

Guv'nor
these are my local training roads, and the reason I moved to Hereford years ago. Did you do the dams ?

28ten

Guv'nor
Up the 44 to the crossroads at Rhayader hang a left and they are signposted. there is a very good visitor center, and i think you might enjoy driving it on a quiet morning.... its a nice 100 mile bike ride from Hereford. Did you miss Titley junction as well?

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Ta - I went to Rhayader and turned right instead :) (The top end of that road - the A483 - is what my car was built for!). I'll turn left next time around - got to New Radnor for 9AM on Saturday, that meant leaving at 6 - similar sort of schedule for a visit to the dams then :D

Made Titley Junction, Presteigne, Kington, New Radnor et all, Corris, Bishops Castle and Lydham on the way round - almost a tour of ex-railways! 460 miles, three tanks of fuel and 15 hours in the end - knackered when I got back though.

28ten

Guv'nor
Pffft I once cycled 440 miles in a 24 hr race :cool:
I have never been to Bishops Castle and stoped although I have done the Long Mynd, Church Stretton is a nice little place apparently it was a favorite of the last of Raj.

PMP

Western Thunderer
Next time you go take the B4574 from Rhyader to Aberystwyth, naff all to do with trains but you'll enjoy it ... I could be tempted too and dig the 986 out of the garage

28ten

Guv'nor
Next time you go take the B4574 from Rhyader to Aberystwyth, naff all to do with trains but you'll enjoy it ... I could be tempted too and dig the 986 out of the garage
Nice road :thumbs: the 4518 through Staylittle is nice on a good day, which would count today out :))