Giles' misc. Work bench.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Very impressive Giles and I like that it's just water, no nasty oils or chemicals.

A question for you... If the loco stops with one of the magnets next to the reed switch, does the steam keep going?

Edit: ignore me, just seen a shot very late in the video that confirms it does.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Giles,

Can you give us an idea of the actual size of the steam generator and controls boards please? I am just starting to prepare parts for a Dock tank and wonder if I could squeeze the gear in.

Ian.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian

The board is 36 x 19 with the tallest component 11mm. The disc is 20 x 5 inclusive of the silicon rubber mount.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,
By its nature, yes you will continue to get steam if the reed switch says 'yes' - however, I plan on controlling the steam from the receiver on this. One thing I have wondered about, but not looked into at all, is whether the sound output from DCC would power the relay. If it did, then that would of course give you the timed chuff, as well as making sure you only got steam at the right time.....

Giles

Western Thunderer
I've now finished the fabrication of of the loco. The parts are generally excellent, but the instructions are poor, referencing photos which do not exist. Really only the LH bunker capping (which is a casting) was too short, and needed surgically extending as invisibly as possible.

I chose to drill out all the embossed rivets and replace them with actual brass rivets soldered in, which took time, but does look better in my opinion.

The only job I have to do is to actually fit and check the rods. And of course paint....

53473695448_d7d73ffcc5_b.jpg 1705676399923.gif

The reed switch mounted on the compensation bar

53473695283_3496cd2032_b.jpg 1705676399968.gif

The brake gear clips on separately

53472647967_ed5637f344_b.jpg 1705676400013.gif

I made new buffer beams front and back, as this will be fitted with chopper couplings, not dumb buffers

53473982900_0b6cdf4466_b.jpg 1705676400059.gif

Slaters supplied something a bit different to fit for a catch, so a bit of scrap....

53473695163_e2ba5dc020_b.jpg 1705676400100.gif

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Hi Giles

I ordered a few misters to experiment with - am I right in thinking, that they’re to be used with distilled water only please?

Regards

Dan

Giles

Western Thunderer
Distilled is probably best, especially if one is building the unit into a loco (the cleaner the better, and less maintenance) - but the mister will work with any water. I would have thought it's about cleanliness, not clogging up the minute holes in the disc, and possibly not getting too many waterborne nasties airborne!

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Distilled is probably best, especially if one is building the unit into a loco (the cleaner the better, and less maintenance) - but the mister will work with any water. I would have thought it's about cleanliness, not clogging up the minute holes in the disc, and possibly not getting too many waterborne nasties airborne!
Great - thanks Giles! :)

Regards

Dan

Fitzroy

The loco is looking just fantastic. Such a shame to paint it! What sizes of rivets did you use? One thought I have is to minimise the amount of paint going on it, especially as the original surface is so pristine, why not use a black rather than grey primer, if you can get it.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I’ve found (1/1 scale) that if primer is same colour as topcoat it is almost impossible to see if it has all been adequately covered with topcoat.

Giles

Western Thunderer
The loco is looking just fantastic. Such a shame to paint it! What sizes of rivets did you use? One thought I have is to minimise the amount of paint going on it, especially as the original surface is so pristine, why not use a black rather than grey primer, if you can get it.
These are 1/8" brass brads from Hobby.UK.com and very nice they are - although they do add to the labour!

The paint will be fine- I will rub the primer down ..... it'll all come out in the wash!

Giles

Western Thunderer
Construction is complete - weathering to be done. For the moment at least, the steam is permanently 'on' and we will see how that goes.

I added a balance pipe to the tank, which Slaters never mention. I suspect the real one has lost hers as she isn't in running order, but she would have had one, as I can't imagine a saddle-tank, without. I still havecouplings to fit of course. These have been printed.

1706192323153.gif

Giles

Western Thunderer
Ah... I put it in Holy War's position, which was hust forward of the spring...... I can move it at next boiler off....

Last edited: