G.W.R. BLT: Almost there.

jonte

Western Thunderer
I like this kit, but there’s one thing that’s been bugging me: the sticky-out bit at the front of the building (i.e. the aspect to the rear of the platform face- entrance hall?). No doubt it’s prototypical, but I feel it ruins the lines of the building. So, like a nagging toothache, it just had to go:

F321DEA0-BCC2-4566-9D2C-B88EEAA4B45D.jpeg

Ouch!

Another dislike of mine are those quoins: some seat better than others; why that would be I’m at a loss. I think in hindsight, they’d have been better moulded in with the rest of the detail. Or maybe it’s just my cack-handedness…..

One thing I’ll credit it for following this ‘Battle of Trafalgar below decks surgery’: it’s a sturdy beast! Pleased too that my own af hoc amendments stood the test (probably over-engineered like the baseboard).

And again, like that nagging toothache, I’m glad it’s out, although how I intend to make good is something for tomorrow.

Elsewhere, I dressed the extension with some plinths atop its walls. These were originally the end sections with the eaves (?) cut off, and I’m glad I was able to put them to good use, especially as many Westernised country station buildings exhibited these add-ones. I wasn’t sure whether it was intended as a loo or a parcels office, however, realising that the small north light, like most of the canopy parts, was in all likelihood redundant, I thought ‘what better use than to adapt into a north light for the extension?’ Inevitably, the decision was made!

0789B8BB-0D6F-4B7D-9EF2-1D5F6D383C18.jpeg

I’ve cobbled it together using scraps of styrene to represent the sloping type resplendent of such conveniences; I hope you’ll agree that thankfully it bears a passing resemblance.

Like the chimneys, it’s not affixed and will be primed and painted off the model.

Just hope I’m not on the slippery slope of getting caught up in the detail again.

Cheers for now.

jonte

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Oh no! - at least you were able to remove the projection at this stage of the build. It won't take long to blend in the modified panel with filler once it's been cut in to the gap - especially as it's the rear of the building (and unseen?).

However, if you're like me then you would want to make the building good all round - even though some of it will not be seen - but knowing it will photograph from all angles.

Another dislike of mine are those quoins: some seat better than others; why that would be I’m at a loss. I think in hindsight, they’d have been better moulded in with the rest of the detail. Or maybe it’s just my cack-handedness…..

It could well be the mould had seen better days and is starting to show it's age suffering from the constant plastic injection. Wasn't the original kit introduced by Ratio during the late 1980s or 1990s?

jonte

Western Thunderer
Oh no! - at least you were able to remove the projection at this stage of the build. It won't take long to blend in the modified panel with filler once it's been cut in to the gap - especially as it's the rear of the building (and unseen?).

However, if you're like me then you would want to make the building good all round - even though some of it will not be seen - but knowing it will photograph from all angles.

It could well be the mould had seen better days and is starting to show it's age suffering from the constant plastic injection. Wasn't the original kit introduced by Ratio during the late 1980s or 1990s?

You’re absolutely right, Dave: won’t be seen but matters…….and this is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

As I write, work has begun and this in itself has thrown up another dilemma. I’ll leave that for another time.

You could be onto something with the ag(e)ing mould theory, but without any knowledge of such matters I couldn’t be sure, Dave. I agree, however, that it has been around since Noah was a lad.

Thanks again.

jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
The quoins were removed from entrance hall, itself having been removed as per earlier post, leaving it too short to complete the gap. Consequently, the side blank sidewall of the two also removed, was sacrificed as an infill but also required some choice honing to make up the gap:

34CBD5AB-67B6-43E9-8CAC-CA0D38670E4D.jpeg

As I say, some judicious cutting and filing in piecemeal fashion resulted in this:

0E7414BA-6AB2-4358-B722-23391B5B09CE.jpegAB5C7539-F5FB-499B-A891-ABA0F4782F9C.jpeg

Now I just need to tidy it up and fill in the gaps, including the open roof section.

Relief.

jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hope nobody minds me inundating the thread with shots from different angles of the same aspect, but hopefully it’ll give you a fair idea of the results the piecemeal changes made today:

E1217FA3-36DF-4D92-B0CE-9AD0726CFD75.jpeg72E2D5DC-81F2-4DE8-A079-EB9A239624C4.jpeg2977136A-DFB7-4C84-AD3A-1E2FE2C48ED4.jpeg0EDA8B3F-7DBD-4A25-B4FF-0071F1575275.jpeg

Just noticed the chimney’s not sitting straight……..

The idea was to try and create the Georgian style roof who’s edges sit behind a plinth/architraving. To this end, once again I looked to Andoversford for inspiration for the architraving, using up most of my remaining supplies of styrene section in the process.

The top section was found in the spares box and which I think comes from Peco. I’ve no idea what it’s supposed to be, but it sort of finishes it off.

Amongst the spares were further examples of Peco drain pipes and even Wills building accessories, including a hopper or two. These will come in handy as the hopper suits this style of architecture better than those of the Ratio kit. There’s also some guttering amongst the spares, handy as there isn’t enough to go round in the Ratio kit as only on side is provided for. However, it’s all academic as, again, the style I’ve adopted doesn’t require them.

I’ll,do, the filling next and then stick on some paper tiles before giving it all a coat of primer, which will take a couple of days or more to complete as I’m needed for grand parenting duties in the meantime :) (btw: I’ve discovered that while she seems quite taken with riding round on 1:1 scale trains, model versions seem to upset her:().

Hey Ho.

Cheers for now.

jonte

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
How odd in providing insufficient guttering in the kit - so different from some HO kits I've built where more then enough is provided depending on the moulds they use.

On the other hand looking good after raiding the spares box :thumbs:. The Georgian touch adds to the individuality. You'll feel you're getting somewhere once the roof has it's slates and the first coat of primer applied.

jonte

Western Thunderer
How odd in providing insufficient guttering in the kit - so different from some HO kits I've built where more then enough is provided depending on the moulds they use.

On the other hand looking good after raiding the spares box :thumbs:. The Georgian touch adds to the individuality. You'll feel you're getting somewhere once the roof has it's slates and the first coat of primer applied.
Thanks, Dave.

Not quite as ‘Gothic’ as Cirencester, but a casual nod to it perhaps.

And you were quite right when you mentioned about all of this being round the back of beyond, where it will never be noticed. If it had, I’d have invested in some narrower styrene as it protrudes slightly, but it simply wasn’t worth the delay as it’s out of sight, out of mind ;)

Cheers,

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hello @jonte
That’s very wonderful. And speaks of the reality you are echoing. A practical solidity, finessed.

Cheers

Jan

I’m flattered, Jan, thank you :)

However, the ethereal mood was shattered when my wife censured me about the state of the table…….I’m certainly not the tidiest or organised or modellers.

All the best,

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
I have to agree with Jan. Looks a treat.

John
I’m grateful, John, both for your kind words and continued interest.

Which reminds me, I need to chase up the roll of watercolour paper you kindly mentioned. My wife and I enjoy riding on the trains with the baby when we’re ‘on duty’, mainly to coincide with her naps (although these are becoming less frequent as she grows), but she’s generally awake by the time we board and seems to thoroughly enjoy it. Best of all, it’s a free ride with are passes and sometimes we’re left head scratching of where to go next. Thus, I’ve pencilled in Bebington to visit the art shop ;)

Thanks again,

Jon

simond

Western Thunderer
I'd second that, the Lady Lever gallery is a worthy option on a damp day.

Alternatively, if you like marine models, there is a decent display in the Williamson in Birkenhead

jonte

Western Thunderer
Some much needed mortar and texture applied to the walls, and the roof prepared for slates:

B536E9C4-AF9B-4F48-A1D2-A71C4AA40ADF.jpegC38527A7-E83D-4B69-812F-06E82A5FCAC6.jpeg

I decided against paper tiles in the end. For speed, I decided to cut strips from paper in the old way, with cuts made approximately two thirds of the way up to represent the gaps. However, the slots were hardly discernible and I feared it would end up looking like a series of steps, so I opted for individually cut ones. A couple of dozen in……………………!

Eventually, I came to my senses and ordered some laser cut examples from a supplier. I await their arrival but in the meantime, have lined the roof with graph paper to assist with keeping things straight.

Cheers for now.

jonte