Crane Locomotives

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I guess the prototype might have had radial axleboxes in rigid frames, as the rear (trailing) axle would have carried the extra weight of the jib, etc, and whatever it was lifting.

I suspect the bunker would have been from the ”brick outhouse” school of architecture…
In an ideal world I would have looked at building radial axleboxes, but I settled instead on my design of trailing axle. The Dapol rear driving axle is un-sprung, so the trailing axle will just have to follow behind rather than play a supporting role. The retaining screw looks very clumsy, but in from normal viewing it is pretty much out of sight. I may however revisit this as it's annoying me!

Mike

chigley

Western Thunderer
Mike could yo not put another layer over it with a larger hole for the screw head and counter sink it a bit more into the original mount

Ken

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
While I contemplate whether to replace my Meccano type trailing axle with something more sophisticated, I have other matters to attend to.

Firstly I noticed that the chassis wasn't sitting quite level on the driving wheels. The front of the chassis was about 1mm lower than the rear. I doubt whether this would be noticeable on the unmolested model, but the extended chassis on my model definitely shows the discrepancy. To rectify this I raised the pivot point of the front axle. I drilled a hole and added a small steel bolt. It more or less cut its own thread in the hole and superglue holds it firm. Then it was just a matter of grinding the head down until the chassis was level.
20231213_165721.jpg20231213_165731.jpg20231213_165842.jpg

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Next up I found that due to my incompetence/too much alcohol/planets not aligning properly (delete where applicable) I messed up the replacement footplate. The brass reinforcing edging strips that run front to back on the underside of the footplate should have been positioned about another half millimetre outwards. Consequently the front steps clout the crosshead! Also the con-rod big end clouts the brass strip. Duh! Maybe I should have made the footplate a bit wider, but hey ho. I really don't want to start the footplate all over again, so I worked out a way of moving the con rod inboard a bit. I've substituted a 10ba bolt for the Dapol crankpin. Slaters crankpin bushes tapped 10ba will hold it all together.
20231213_201606.jpg20231213_201616.jpg

Mike

Last edited:

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I've just spent a few hours getting the 4 x cab handrails sorted out.
20231217_162759.jpg

I've also been performing cut 'n shut surgery on the cab roof in an effort to re-use as much of the Dapol parts as possible.
20231217_164147.jpg20231217_170255.jpg

I'm hoping the glue that came with my recently purchased Airfix Land Rover kit will work well on the Dapol plastic.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Brake rodding shortened in accordance with prototype drawing. 20231217_172532.jpg20231217_173541.jpg20231217_193252.jpg

I'm a bit puzzled by the bunkers, as only one has a hole to access the coal. Am I missing something obvious here?20231217_193405.jpg20231217_193441.jpg

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Yes, it’s clearly a means of polishing or lapping, one of which I was previously unaware.

i suspect it’s a boringly slow process too…

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
On the subject of drawings, when you're ready to start scheming the next project let me know - just happened upon a few of a dinosaur. :)
View attachment 204362
I'll let you know when I'm ready for another crane project. :thumbs:

One of the problems I've encountered with building crane locos is sourcing the various cogs and gears that help make up the crane mechanism. There's also the relatively small steam cylinders that often power the crane, which are incredibly fiddly for my eyes! I may take a break after I've finished this one. ;)

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Brake rodding shortened in accordance with prototype drawing. View attachment 204272View attachment 204273View attachment 204274

I'm a bit puzzled by the bunkers, as only one has a hole to access the coal. Am I missing something obvious here?View attachment 204275View attachment 204276

Mike
After scouring the Internet I've come to the (logical) conclusion that both bunkers should have openings. After all, how would the fireman access the coal? It looks like there is a (sliding?) shutter and I suspect Dapol have depicted their model with one open and one shut.

Incidentally I'm surprised no-one has had a go at modifying the Adams B4 to depict their model as the Drummond boilered version. The main visual difference was the dome being further back (I think the cab roof may have had a slightly different profile as well). I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to reposition the Dapol dome as it appears to be glued in place. I haven't tried this though, so can't vouch for it's removability!

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
The pivot for the trailing axle has been changed for something a bit better (I can't go as far as saying it's more refined!).

20231224_114232.jpg

I've added a wood floor and started reinstalling the reverser and brake. The bunkers have been extended to take advantage of the extended cab. I've no idea if they did this on the prototype, but seems to look OK.
20231224_114237.jpg20231224_114857.jpg20231224_150827.jpg20231224_152828.jpg

Mike

Last edited:

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I've re-used the Dapol vaccum pipes. The ribbing on the flexi pipe looks a bit coarse, but I'm hoping this will be less noticeable under a coat or two of paint.
20231228_140554.jpg20231228_140616.jpg

The front pipe is supposed to be removable to allow the body to be removed from the chassis. However, I wanted it fixed permanently in place, which meant I had to nibble a bit off from the front of the chassis for clearance.
20231228_140704.jpg

Mike