Crane Locomotives

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
The drawing I'm using hints at there being buffer beam safety chains, and there's a picture in the book "The B4 Dock Tanks" by Peter Cooper that has them. So I've fitted some from CPL.
20231204_172442.jpg20231204_172501.jpg
I also managed to re-use the Dapol footplate steps. Small strips of brass soldered to the footplate to support the steps. I was going to glue the steps in place, but by some miracle was able to solder them on instead! Superglue as a backup. 20231204_172538.jpg Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I've now made a start on the rear frame extensions. There were already some conveniently placed holes for the plastic guard irons (now removed and will be repositioned at the ends of the extended chassis) which I've drilled right through. Couple of nuts and bolts to hold the frame extensions on.20231204_195546.jpg20231204_195800.jpg
20231204_200207.jpg
I'll be adding full length Plastikard overlays to the frames.
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Thoughts are now turning as to how I might attach the new trailing axle. I was thinking of Slaters hornblocks albeit with very light springs, just to hold the wheels lightly in place on the track. But I'm not sure if there's room. There is also a conveniently placed hole in the underside of the chassis that could possibly be used to mount a pivot for a simple trailing truck.
20231204_201406.jpg
Mike

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Please Mike, what is the lump in the chassis near the buffer beam? I am guessing a part of the Dapol chassis block which you are retaining to look like a counterweight for the crane?

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Please Mike, what is the lump in the chassis near the buffer beam? I am guessing a part of the Dapol chassis block which you are retaining to look like a counterweight for the crane?
Hi Richard

Yes, it's part of the Dapol chassis. It looks a bit odd, probably 'cos the cylinder block is not fitted. Once that's back in place all should make a bit more sense. :D

I'm trying to keep the progress on this project moving at pace as my enthusiam is starting to flag a bit. Despite just renewing my Scale7 membership for another year (the cheque's in the post!) I keep casting my eyes over my G Scale engines! :eek:

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Curious looking beast.

Interesting (and logical) that the slew bearings are so widely spaced.
I wonder how the bunker was designed to take the side-loads down into the frames.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Curious looking beast.

I wonder how the bunker was designed to take the side-loads down into the frames.
I've not much info to go on, other than the above plan. Any advice/ suggestions are very welcome. :thumbs:

Cheers
Mike

Giles

Western Thunderer
Curious looking beast.

I would have thought that the bearings were mounted in a 'box' of which we are seeing the side frame? That would perhaps sit tight between the frames, which must be beefed up somewhat not to be twisted as the crane slewed with a load. There must be inner frames behind the trailing wheels anyway, but even so......
All conjecture, but that's how I would have approached it.

Giles

simond

Western Thunderer
I guess the prototype might have had radial axleboxes in rigid frames, as the rear (trailing) axle would have carried the extra weight of the jib, etc, and whatever it was lifting.

I suspect the bunker would have been from the ”brick outhouse” school of architecture…