2mm Cookie's 2mm exploits - Painting

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Some modelling days you are the dog, some modelling days you are the lamp post. This week I have been the lamp post :(

Whilst I've enjoyed the mental gymnastics of making / forming the gutters and brackets, actually getting them fitted and aligned without bending, breaking or wrecking something has been beyond me. Its not for lack of trying or effort, but it would appear I have over reached.
Taking stock this morning after bending the one of the gutters yet again, I decided that I've been spending too much time and effort on something that ultimately isn't worth it when the big picture is looked at - I want a small 2mm FS layout to operate and muck around with, hours spent on the guttering of one building isn't getting me any closer.

With that in mind, the plasticard fascia boards were ripped off, the gutters and brackets removed and the assembly cleaned up. Brass bargeboards were made from strip and soldered into place, then 0.7mm dia nickel silver rod filed to create a half round shape. This was then soldered to the new bargeboards and the whole thing cleaned up and chemically blackened. A couple of holes were drilled into the roof of the building and the roof glued into place using five minute epoxy. As it now stands

Roof blackened 1.JPG

Roof blackened 2.JPG

In some respects its a shame to have built the jigs etc and failed to achieve what I was trying to do, on the other hand I've learnt a few things and know my limitations - I can be a little more pragmatic next time round :) Next up is getting the roofing panels and capping strip in place, then I can start to work out how I'm going to mount the downpipes - hopefully it'll be ready for primer tomorrow...

Steve

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
OK, this (gutter) fence seemed to be a tad tall. On the other hand, as you have said, there was much that was learnt and not just by you.

I like the impression of the roof / barge / gutter in the photo above, just needs the downpipes to accomodate the current weather.

regards, Graham

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Those shots are probably 3 times life size, nobody will notice, and straight and less detailed is better than wonky and more detailed ;)
Very true Guv :thumbs: I've got to learn to 'throttle back' a bit and focus on the basics at this size.

Well, its ready for primer - roof, capping and downpipes done (thats a bit of solder reflecting under the capping, not a hole through to the other side :oops: )

Ready for Primer 1.JPG

Ready for Primer 2.JPG

Some work to settle the edges of the corrugated iron tomorrow before paint I think, hope the gaps between the capping and the corrugated iron 'shrink' a touch when primered.

Steve

Neil

Western Thunderer
Just a thought Steve' have you overlapped the corrugated iron sheets? In 2mm scale it may look better if they were butted up.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Good point Neil - I hadn't thought of that :oops:
In fact, I guess having made the panels in a single strip, I could have got away with just laying a longer piece in place rather than cutting and sticking the individual panels in place. I'll have a sleep on it - no rain whilst its light tomorrow so could go for a rework and still get paint on...

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Sod the sleep :) Corrugated iron and capping now removed - I'll use the sleep to decide on a single panel or butted up little panels...

Cheers for the nudge Neil :thumbs: It wasn't 'good enough' was it :oops:

Steve

queensquare

Western Thunderer
Those shots are probably 3 times life size, nobody will notice, and straight and less detailed is better than wonky and more detailed ;)

Cynric has summed it up in a nutshell here. You fell into the trap that many modellers used to the larger scales fall into, namely trying to include as much detail as you normally would. It is this very reason, in reverse, that makes the larger scales so daunting for me - all that detail can be seen and needs to be included. 2mm is much more impressionistic.

The way you did the guttering and downpipes in the end is pretty much how I do them, albeit in plastic. Likewise on the roofing, I would have done it in one strip, suggesting the vertical joints at the painting stage. The ridge, I generally only bother with a length of wire - I find it near impossible to get capping that does not appear too heavy so I simply leave it off.

I hope I don't come across as picky. I have found following your progress on this fascinating as I have all these issues in reverse when building stuff in the larger scales. I am forever being told at shows/demos etc how small and fiddly 2FS must be and I always make the point that if its too small to do I leave it off. For me this is the most difficult discipline to learn in 2mm, what to add and what to omit.

A really enjoyable thread

Jerry

Edit: notice whilst I have been composing this post (had my tea half way through!) that you have decided to have another go. Look forward to seeing the results.

Simon

Flying Squad
I know its "wrong" but I think the "butting or onesheet" method is going to look better.

Respect for all that hi-fi guttering but what you've got there now looks just right. I think that Guy Williams says something pithy about this sort of issue, I'll go and see if I can find his pearls of wisdom in our bedroom (that's where the book is)

Simon

Who has just spent an hour sorting the kitchen out after a day with Mrs Simon in Xmas purchasing mode (you would not believe how many christmas puddings we now have in this house) and tiddleypeep #2 making chapatis (very nice but a lot of flour thrown about the place)

28ten

Guv'nor
Very true Guv :thumbs: I've got to learn to 'throttle back' a bit and focus on the basics at this size.

Steve
You are working to a digital camera, not what you really see. I always remember the first time I used a lathe with DRO's I spent hours chasing decimal places, unless there is a specific reason, it is just wasting time that could be spent on the next job

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
The station building looks excellent Steve :), but I do agree the butting of the roof panels will look better still though:cool:

Funny you guys should say this about leaving these details off..........I do it in 7mm :oops: , but for a layout builder I think you have to do it sometimes IMO for the project to see completion. I suppose it depends whether you want a stand alone glass case model or another component in a bigger picture ;)

Phill :)

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
I agree, the overlap is crude and it makes it look toy like, id just lay a single panel....
Agreed :)

Cynric has summed it up in a nutshell here. You fell into the trap that many modellers used to the larger scales fall into, namely trying to include as much detail as you normally would. It is this very reason, in reverse, that makes the larger scales so daunting for me - all that detail can be seen and needs to be included. 2mm is much more impressionistic.

Its very interesting doing something in a scale that is so different to my usual, falling into all of the traps is just one of those things :oops: I don't mind making the mistakes or having them pointed out - the end result is I learn something and hopefully the model is better as a result. The immediate feedback you get on a forum like this means the changes can be made before the glue has fully dried (making removal much easier!). I have no doubt you'll do a cracking job on the G1 wagon Jerry - if you get stuck with something just shout :)

The way you did the guttering and downpipes in the end is pretty much how I do them, albeit in plastic. Likewise on the roofing, I would have done it in one strip, suggesting the vertical joints at the painting stage. The ridge, I generally only bother with a length of wire - I find it near impossible to get capping that does not appear too heavy so I simply leave it off.

The only reason for doing it in brass rather than plastic was it allowed me to solder the gutters to the bargeboard, its given a nice solid model which is just as well given the roof removal thats just gone on... There are two more buildings to come, I'd like to try the plastic route on at least one of them as a comparison. Roof wise, the single strip and suggestion of panels by painting is good advice - and one I shall be applying tomorrow :thumbs:

I hope I don't come across as picky. I have found following your progress on this fascinating as I have all these issues in reverse when building stuff in the larger scales. I am forever being told at shows/demos etc how small and fiddly 2FS must be and I always make the point that if its too small to do I leave it off. For me this is the most difficult discipline to learn in 2mm, what to add and what to omit.

Not all Jerry :) Getting advice from someone with practical experience of the scale makes it less daunting and easier to correct mistakes. As I said above, I don't mind any constructive criticism that helps me get to a better result and I thank you for taking the time to suggest alternatives. Indeed, those thanks apply to everyone who has contributed, sometimes it confirms what I already know, sometimes its a gentle nudge to up the game in some areas and chill out in others, its what belonging to a forum is all about :)
A really enjoyable thread
Glad you are enjoying it - I was of half a mind to 'practise in private', but I'm enjoying the journey more as a result of posting.

Edit: notice whilst I have been composing this post (had my tea half way through!) that you have decided to have another go. Look forward to seeing the results.
Bedtime now, will update tomorrow :)

I know its "wrong" but I think the "butting or onesheet" method is going to look better.

I'm picking up thats the general consensus :D
Respect for all that hi-fi guttering but what you've got there now looks just right. I think that Guy Williams says something pithy about this sort of issue, I'll go and see if I can find his pearls of wisdom in our bedroom (that's where the book is)

I think it'll be along similar lines to what Jerry has pointed above, I guess I'll have to keep practising!

Who has just spent an hour sorting the kitchen out after a day with Mrs Simon in Xmas purchasing mode (you would not believe how many christmas puddings we now have in this house) and tiddleypeep #2 making chapatis (very nice but a lot of flour thrown about the place)

Christmas puddings and Chapatis, unusual combination :D

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
You are working to a digital camera, not what you really see. I always remember the first time I used a lathe with DRO's I spent hours chasing decimal places, unless there is a specific reason, it is just wasting time that could be spent on the next job
I agree, its just getting out of the habit, but its also down to the fact that its the one piece on the workbench and therefore its up close and personal. Perhaps it takes a layout and getting the whole scene/scale in perspective that helps to settle the 'detail, detail, detail' thoughts :)

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
The station building looks excellent Steve :), but I do agree the butting of the roof panels will look better still though:cool:

Funny you guys should say this about leaving these details off..........I do it in 7mm :oops: , but for a layout builder I think you have to do it sometimes IMO for the project to see completion. I suppose it depends whether you want a stand alone glass case model or another component in a bigger picture ;)

Phill :)
Cheers Phill :)
I think its all a balancing act and as Neil pointed out above, there is 'good enough' and its learning to stop going overboard and look at the bigger scheme, I think you have got the balance right for your garden layout :thumbs:
Steve

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Hi Steve,

What a wonderful job on the building.:bowdown: Hats off to you sir:thumbs:.

The guttering is incredible, especially modelled in 2mm:bowdown:. I found it bad enough in 7mm:oops:.

The roof sheets look good but agreed with the others, i think you've made the right choice to remove and re-do with butted:thumbs:.

Im looking forward to seeing this little beauty painted. :)

Again WELL DONE THAT MAN:bowdown:

Rob:)