4mm Chris' Trainsets

S

Simon Dunkley

especially as draglines are being used. It would have been better all round if the dragline was discharging into a 'mobile/manoeuvrable' hopper fitted with side or better still bottom discharge into the wagons. Obviously being done as a cost saving exercise.
This is great, and just shows how the real world isn't always logical as those arm chair fingers pointers like to think it is - great stuff! And fab for us who built toy chuffer sets ..
What Mike says is only true if the ore is destined for calcining first, or if the wagons are internal user, requiring transhipment of the loads.

As the ore is being loaded into standard BR "mintips", and given the date indicated by the presence of the loco, it will almost certainly be destined to head straight to the exchange sidings and be picked up by BR, and taken to Scunthorpe of Corby, where a rotary tippler will empty the wagon. You can all this sort of information in Eric Tonks' exhaustive and invaluable series.

Sorry, but entirely logical.

Like the RB.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

perhaps I did not explain myself fully - I meant say loading hopper that would discharge into the wagon, not a hopper wagon. The discharge accuracy when using a dragline is not very good, even with the best of drivers, a face shovel as in Chris's post #271 would be better for direct loading into rail wagons - but they do not have the reach that the dragline does, which is probably why a dragline is being used in this instance.

cheers

Mike

S

Simon Dunkley

Hi Simon,

perhaps I did not explain myself fully - I meant say loading hopper that would discharge into the wagon, not a hopper wagon. The discharge accuracy when using a dragline is not very good, even with the best of drivers, a face shovel as in Chris's post #271 would be better for direct loading into rail wagons - but they do not have the reach that the dragline does, which is probably why a dragline is being used in this instance.

cheers

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that clarification.
Draglines were used extensively in the East Midlands as they suited the nature of the quarrying, which involved scraping off the over-burden (which had to be kept) and then scraping up the ore for loading. They would then work along the quarry "face". Any loading hoppers would have needed moving at regular intervals, which is just another piece of equipment to pay for and maintain: it would probably have meant another crane to move it.

Once the quarrying was complete, then the overburden was put back and the land returned to farming - using any spoil from elsewhere to bring the surface level back to where it was, if possible. There were extensive quarries not far from where I live, but apart from the site which once held a small mpd, and is now used as a municipal tip, it is very hard to find any traces of the industry.

Mind you, if you visit Irchester Country Park, you can see what happened before the legal obligation to restore the land was introduced!

As a modelling subject, most quarry face operations were less interesting that Chris's model, unless you want to build a working model of a crane (and they are very big, even in 4mm scale). However, the exchange sidings might be an interesting operation, but it depends on the volume of traffic. I always enjoyed seeing the Eastwell Ironstone Company at shows like Expo-EM.

Anyone with a serious interest in the subject should contact Mr. Castens and send him some money in exchange for books! ;)

Simon

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

I am recalling what took place in my experience (45 years) in the Building and Civil Engineering industry, a small part of which involved sand/ballast quarrying and open cast coal mining (using walking draglines as well as the more usual quarrying machines - 38/54 & 71 RBs - again,mainly on dragline). It is just nice to recall such times.

cheers

Mike

S

Simon Dunkley

Incidentally, most of the draglines in use locally were powered by electricity, with great big cables sticking out of them. A model of one would be a great candidate for DCC control!

Meant to say earlier, but Chris' little vignette is a lovely thing.

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
Hello chaps!

With the lovely weather, I've been working outside on this little 3x1 foot piece, but a short while ago I popped it under the lights to record the latest scenic bits added whilst enjoying the sun in the garden which basically meant more static grass and horse hair.

These shots apart from the 'Fleur' with the smoke (and that is the only fartarsing) are not messed about with in any way, just on my trusty Nikon and a 55mm Micro Nikkor set at f22 or f32. I'm quite pleased that the back scene blends in well (home grown 5ft x 1ft print on sticky back).

The foreman's hut is a Norwegian lazer cut plywood kit; it, like the hopper has been on the book case for too long and needed a home.

I've no idea how Ivo Peter's Bentley got there, there is no road access!

All slightly whimsical - but that's what I do - escapism :)

nevard_130718_IRONSTONE_DSC_7815_WEB.jpgnevard_130718_IRONSTONE_DSC_7828_WEB.jpgnevard_130718_IRONSTONE_DSC_7824_WEB.jpg

Phil.c

Western Thunderer
It's coming along great Chris, fabulouse stuff and of course the B&W shots give it some age, just one small niggle that I have though re pic three, I am in the same boat, I have bought a load of rubberized horse hair, great stuff but over scaled....now, if there was some way of thinning it down :(

Phil

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
It's good for brambles, and definitely on its own it's too much. I'm starting to add other stuff (mostly small pieces of foam flock coated sea foam) on top to give a little variety as seen here.

Yesterday morning I was clearing down the very end of our garden which has been under attack from some serious brambles, some of the stems where getting on for an inch wide. Nasty things, the thorns were going straight through my leather padded gardening gloves.
nevard_130729_IRONSTONE_IMG_4532_WEB.jpg

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:......

...and :'(:'(:'(:'( when I compare my own feeble attempts at scenery...:rolleyes: :oops: :D

But you chaps can built locos and such, nothing chassis wise I've built has ever worked properly.
We're all good at different things. Luckily for me scenics don't have to move, be square, or even need to be exactly to scale.

Most of the stock here is out of a box, and the only kit built loco sits on a ready to run chassis.

nevard_130729_IRONSTONE_IMG_4546_WEB.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
As a bit of a change; here's Catcott my 2007 trainset project. It's mostly steam, but an old rewheeled and scrubbed up Triang Hymek looks ok I suppose. This layout's not been out since 2010, subject to dates this could be one for Simon's 2014 Jolly in Bradford OA or Larkhall if he likes?

View attachment 23488View attachment 23489

Ooh yes please, I've got a Hymek a lot like that too, we could do double heading:p

Simon

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
A view of Polbrook Gurney Colliery Halt from the up stairs of the Pedant & Armchair, a favourite crank watering hole. Ivo whose car is in the photo went mob handed upstairs into the pub with a couple of other celebrity photographers from that era. The room in question is 'mother's', she sits in her armchair rocking slowly to and fro vetting the people coming into her pub....nevard_131015_PGCH_IMG_5247_WEB.jpg

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
With all this fraternisation of the P & A, I must say that I'm impressed that the photographers still managed to get their pictures in such sharp focus... :p :D

The landlady is not a young 'hotty totty', just more than a little ugly, smelly and rather old, but back in the 1950's we were more used to body odour and such. Stiff upper lip and all that!

I was sent this true life story yesterday in connection with this photo http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/5580597/Flossie-Lane.html

Reactions: Bob