4mm Chris' Trainsets

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
nevard_130519_PGCH_IMG_3977_WEB.jpg
Today's load of bull: 44417 clanks through Polbrook Gurney Colliery Halt with the pick up goods from Binegar to Frome. The former light railway which was an extension of the Newbury Railway built to serve various collieries and quarries around Vobster and Mells. It was operated with a mix of GWR and former SDJR trains. Note the ex-GWR Pannier tank shunting the colliery sidings. Of course this scenario might change, but it will do for now!

Almost there now, just need to sort out point rodding and what little signalling required. That won't happen in time for Railex this weekend, but I'm sure I'll get lots of conflicting advice as one does at shows.

This view shows off the higher level of the colliery sidings behind.

Today I need to make up some more cassettes.

Best wishes all - Chris

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I'll take credit for whispering in Oxford Diecast's ear about making the Peters' Bentley. We'd been after one for ages to put on Wouldham Town, and I noticed OD were planning the MkVI Bentley body.

I would've stopped for a chat on Saturday at Railex, but each time I passed there was intense concentration in evidence. :)

Simon

Flying Squad
Great to see you and Polbrook Gurney at Railex, the layout absolutely lived up to its photographs, which model railways generally don't do.

Are you continuing to develop it scenically or is "the job a good 'un"?

I look forward to seeing it again either way, I've got a couple of odd industrial locos that might look nice on the NCB side of things in July:p

Simon

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
Hello chaps!

Railex twas a tad busy, not helped by one of my promised helpers not turning up, so I cannot thank Graham Muz enough for all his help on both days. Thanks Graham!

The layout is still very much a work in progress, it will be developed further, but tend not to jump in on all fours with scenics; like weathering, such is often best built up over time with lots of time to reflect. I don't want to cramp things, at the moment it still breathes space, so probably won't do anything more on that front until I've been down to the Mendip area again to sample and absorb.

I need to add signalling and all the paraphernalia that such incurs (not a great deal luckily). I'm not happy with the signal box, that will either be replaced or have extensive surgery, despite it being hacked about it looks rather like a toy and sits awkwardly with the rest of the scratchbuilding. I've noticed that Bachmann Scenecraft roofs always have far too much overhang, so a slitting saw will be step one.

Guest locos are always very welcome, the below being another one that appeared from Phil Parker, which I gather is scratchbuilt on a Dapol Pug. Don't tell Phil, but I was secretly hoping that girder running between the buffers would ping off at some stage, it didn't sadly!

nevard_130526_PGC_railex13_IMG_4031_WEB.jpg

Hello chaps!

Guest locos are always very welcome, the below being another one that appeared from Phil Parker, which I gather is scratchbuilt on a Dapol Pug. Don't tell Phil, but I was secretly hoping that girder running between the buffers would ping off at some stage, it didn't sadly!

View attachment 21444

Evening Chris,

It was really good to see Polbrook Gurney in the flesh so too speak on Sunday. Full of atmosphere-everything muted nicely so as to blend in. It was one of the layouts I kept coming back too.

I spied this little blue Manning Wardle in your fiddle yard and was hoping I'd catch it making an appearance. Nice to see the above shot. I thought it was a kit you'd built but spotted the chassis giving away it's underpinnings.

I'm about to embark on one of these convrsions using Phil's article in Hornby Magazine for my layout 'Juniper Hill' based around the Northamptonshire ironstone lines. By any chance you didn't take anymore snaps of Phil's loco? Be good to see them if you did.

Cheers,

Mark

Graham Muz

Chris

Many thanks for an enjoyable weekend playing trains. Just to keep me sane occasionally other visitors with some dubious running rights, or possibly on loan, could be observed...

Firstly in the shape of an ex London and South Western Adams B4 number 100
B4 Railex.jpg

And secondly a long way from home an ex London Chatham and Dover railway Kirtley T class number 1604
T Railex.jpg

Graham Muz

I had to laugh whilst watching one of the You-Tube videos of Railex (as linked to by Dikitriki)... the section that featured this layout; did anyone else notice the comment by a punter, as a long string of wagons was being propelled under the bridge past the mine... " I hope there's a cassette behind there..?!" :confused: :))
Classic!! :thumbs:

That was no punter it was me driving from the opposite end! From where I was standing I couldn't see if there was a cassette or not but I had every faith in Chris at that end and the fact that there had always been a cassette there before! Don't even ask about my "I'm always happy to experiment..." comment.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Looking again through this thread, what I find quite amazing is the wide variety of images that can be gleaned from such a relatively compact layout. Just goes to show how space does not have to restrict the imagination. Making me rethink my ideas now!

The slightly faint backscene is shown to great effect in the photos on post 241 :thumbs:

Chris Nevard

Western Thunderer
Cheers! Bearing in mind the Bentley is far bigger on most people's screen than in real life I think it works - great for £3.50! Out of the box, gloss paint does not scale down even for a car just out of the factory; for this one I blasted on a little Tamiya Matt and then polished with a hanky just after the paint had gone off to bring back a little shine, but not too much. The tyres are a little too shiny, so for now I'll just say that they've been dressed, but I'm not sure such was used 50 years ago.

AdamF

Western Thunderer
I really like this layout - feels like the Somerset I remember! Wonderful prints for the colliery head wheels :thumbs:

Bob

Western Thunderer
Those wheels really are quite incredible :bowdown:

Almost scary where this 3D printing biz is taking things:eek: