Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Next up, The Ladders, Stage 1. These fine etchings are left on the etch surround until 0.4mm wire has been soldered up each side to act as strengthening. The whjole process is explained in great detail with equally detailed hand-drawn illustrations - I love Masokits instructions:

Airfix-Masokits Esso 20240612 (1) ladders.jpg

Airfix-Masokits Esso 20240612 (2) ladders.jpg

Airfix-Masokits Esso 20240612 (3) ladders.jpg

Airfix-Masokits Esso 20240612 (4) ladders.jpg

And after some cleaning up, the next thing is to bend them, using 2.5mm dowel as suggested in the instructions:

Airfix-Masokits Esso 20240612 (5) ladders.jpg

Airfix-Masokits Esso 20240612 (6) ladders.jpg

Airfix-Masokits Esso 20240612 (7) ladders.jpg

There's a slight conundrum with fixing the ladders though, to be pondered during the next stage of their construction.
The ladder tops are held in place by glueing, whereas the ladder feet are to be soldered.
I want to keep the tank and the chassis separate until after painting, so soldering the ladder feet would mean soldering right next to painted areas and next to the araldited plastic solebar overlays and I don't like doing that.
There are two alternatives: glue the ladder feet as well as the tops (not keen, prefer solder there), or... solder the ladder feet in place before aralditing the solebar overlays and leave the ladder top locating pins sufficiently short that the tank can be slid in underneath the ladder tops... :(
(I've used the 'frown' emoji there because it's the closest to a 'Thinking face' one).
Probably have to try a dry run - tack-solder the ladder feet in place and see how much wiggle-room there is for the tank...