Bulleid Q1 - 33030

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
Thats a great looking shunter Mike, who's kit is it?

Rob :wave:

Hi Rob,

it's now done by Mercian, but I can't recall if it was one of theirs when I built it - quite a few years ago now. The instructions are in the old filing system in the workshop, I'll have a look in the morning.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:
I think the 47 would look great in shabby green too  8) 8) 8)..........preferably with full yellow ends  :drool:

Phill  :wave:

Hi Phill,

let me know what you aare thinking, perhaps we could do a deal?

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Rob Pulham said:
Hi Mike, I am glad all went well with the test run.
Thats a strange looking beasty but it certainly has appeal, even to my kettle orientated mind (but don't tell the wife or I will be missing a few extremities :)))

Hi Rob,

as if I would tell the missus! The design certainly grows on you, although as a kid seeing them all of the time did not have any wow factor then.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Ressaldar said:
Hi Rob,

it's now done by Mercian, but I can't recall if it was one of theirs when I built it - quite a few years ago now. The instructions are in the old filing system in the workshop, I'll have a look in the morning.

regards

Mike

Hi Rob,

I've dug out the original instructions and it is an Oakville kit, marketed in 7mm by Mendip Models - with the dreaded Jim Harris signature dated 1993 on the drawings :eek: :eek: :eek: and there is no cab detail at all :headbang: So another trip to Howarth and the K&WV Railway is called for - I only took external detail pictures on a previous visit.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 13

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Fred,

unfortunately, it's not an 07, the closest TOPS code would have been 05. There were 10 built in 1961 by Hudswell Clark for the Midland Region and were a 'modern' version of their earlier design that looked like a steam tank loco, complete with rear bunker and chimney. In this later version, they mounted the body the opposite way round to the earlier version - the jackshaft being under the cab rather than the radiator. All in all, quite a nice little loco and fitted with the Gardner 8L3 engine - so you can use the Loksound 03 chip  :thumbs:if you are going DCC, as I am.

regards

Mike

ps If only Aidrian Swain would reintroduce the old MMP 07, that would be great :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi fred,

very nice indeed. I have had a few Bachmann 03s & 04s across the bench and wish now that I had kept one of each, but they come up on B&B tables so I'll keep my eyes open (Bolton this Saturday for instance)

Attachments

• DSCF1179.JPG
    DSCF1179.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF4135.JPG
    DSCF4135.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF3224.JPG
    DSCF3224.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF3227.JPG
    DSCF3227.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF3231.JPG
    DSCF3231.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 11

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Ressaldar said:
<snip>
Would certainly put DCC sound in and I understand that the 1.1amp Loksound chip would be ok - cheaper than buying the 3.5XL or whatever the new 4XL might cost.
</snip>

No such bird, Mike - I've been in contact with ESU, ESU LLC and SWD recently and it appears that it's only the two smaller LokSound decoders that are due an upgrade to v4.  In terms of price, well the v4 is due to be a shade cheaper than the v3.5, despite all the additional features.  I'll be getting hold of one when I can to 'play' with.

Steph

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

I had heard tha tv4 was coming out and assumed that it was replacing v3.5 - and also assume that v3 is 1.1amps and would handle the Bachmann 03/04 and an ABC Maxon sound without any problems as I am not thinking of having working lights, but possible smoke.

regards

Mike

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Ressaldar said:
Hi Steph,

I had heard tha tv4 was coming out and assumed that it was replacing v3.5 - and also assume that v3 is 1.1amps and would handle the Bachmann 03/04 and an ABC Maxon sound without any problems as I am not thinking of having working lights, but possible smoke.

regards

Mike

Mike,

Spot on.  I've got a shunter here using a 2.5w Maxon, ABC drive, 40x20 speaker and with a working fan.  The decoder is a v3.5 with a sound profile I brewed up myself.  Coreless motors make really good sense with DCC in allowing the use of smaller decoders (lower current for same output power as they're so much more efficient).  The lengthy acceleration/deceleration also reduces demand on the motor so the real peak current values tend to be lower than theoretical stall limits (not the case for conventional motors though!).

I don't know about smoke with DCC - white smoke from a diesel?  Hmm, maybe it's not very well...!  Worth checking that the total current used won't overload the decoder, a smoke unit is only a heating element in a tube, so the current draw could be high.

Steph

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

the smoke was only really an afterthought, the sound and possible lights - not on the shunters, are the main aim.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

progress has brought the tender to completion today - all ready for a first bath in Viakal, rinse and clean then a second bath, rinse and then primer - and back to the loco whilst it's drying.

Attachments

• IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1798.JPG
    IMG_1798.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 22

28ten

Guv'nor
Ressaldar said:
Hi all,

progress has brought the tender to completion today - all ready for a first bath in Viakal, rinse and clean then a second bath, rinse and then primer - and back to the loco whilst it's drying.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Cynric,

Have not noticed any thing in that respect yet, but I always rinse the model in clean water straight away.

What I have noticed in the photos is that the rear ladder is at a slight angle - top to bottom, will need to take it off and tighten the radius at the top - reduce the diameter from 6mm to 5mm and see if that is ok.

regards

Mike

welshwizard

Western Thunderer
Mike, you are coming along really well with the charlie, as i said i have one to do as my last commision and whatching you build this one so well gives me inspiration, keep it up.