Building 7mm Ian Kirk - Thompson and Gresley coach kits..

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
The seat backs are 24mm and the bases are about 11mm, they come in various different widths, i'm assuming for corridor, compartment and non corridor stock ?? There are two sets of white metal and steel buffers pictured and I think another pair of lost wax brass ones which don't look as nice as the ones pictured. Not sure of any of the details on these coachs mate as i've never researched them :scratch: so let me know if they're any good to you. I have big plans for loco's, parcel stock and wagons so I think it will be a few years before I get onto passenger stock  :)) :)).

ATB Mick

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Just designed and sent off the drawings for the sprung Gresley bogie frames...

Simple, but hopefully effective.. Again, can't wait to see how they come out...  :scratch:

If they work, and if anyone has any Kirk bogies they want to spring, well.... oh you know what to do... :))

JB.

Attachments

• Gresley8\'6\'Bogie.JPG
    Gresley8\'6\'Bogie.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 69

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Excellent - but you don't appear to have tabbed the back-to back sideframes? Is that intentional?

Richard

Edit - you might have, I'm not sure whether thay are blue or black!

28ten

Guv'nor
Thats an interesting way of going about it, but I think you would be better off with the central bolster and sideframe as a single fold up, that way you can guarantee the axleboxes will line up  :scratch:

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
That's a very fair point...

I don't know why I didn't think of that... Thought about everything but that..!!

Hmmmm...

JB.

28ten

Guv'nor
Scale7JB said:
That's a very fair point...

I don't know why I didn't think of that... Thought about everything but that..!!

Hmmmm...

JB.
I think you will find that you get much better alignment especially if you are springing them

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Absolutely right Cynric. Thanks for the thoughts!!  :thumbs:

Consider it adjusted..!

JB.

Attachments

• Gresley8\'6\'BogieV2.JPG
    Gresley8\'6\'BogieV2.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 61

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Now there is an idea...  Gresley bogies in etched brass...  with springing of individual axleboxes.  Which version of the Gresley bogie are you doing?  Hint...  sales as replacements for the whitemetal items which were supplied with the JLTRT 61' 6" stock.

I can think of at least one WTer who might be interested.....

regards, hopefully, Graham

28ten

Guv'nor
Have you thought about springing the bolsters?, you can almost do away with the sprung axleboxes then. I did have some GW bogies i etched like that and they worked very well

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Currently I have drawn up the Gresley 8'6" bogie as above, but if there are any other bogies that people might like then please feel free to PM OR E-mail me...

I'm sure I could have a whole selection of bogies by Telford tested and proved.

I've yet to cast up some axleboxes, that shouldn't be too much of a chore. Do the JLTRT bogies have representations for the bogie sides? It would be great if anyone has a picture of what Waterman puts in his bogie kits...

JB. 

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob, one width of bogie should suit both S7 and 0FS, and you never know, possibly even coarse scale..

JB.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi JB, your wish and all that :D

Attachments

• JLRT Bogies 003.JPG
    JLRT Bogies 003.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 67
  • JLRT Bogies 007.JPG
    JLRT Bogies 007.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 63

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Those cast sides and separate axleboxes would work
perfectly with what I'm trying to achieve... I might even see if JLTRT are prepared to sell a pair of bogies on their own to prove that everything works...?!

Would you have a picture of the rear of the bogie side frame?

Thanks again Rob.. :thumbs:

JB.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Scale7JB said:
Those cast sides and separate axleboxes would work perfectly with what I'm trying to achieve...  Would you have a picture of the rear of the bogie side frame?

Maybe Rob and I can do better than a picture....  if you intend to go to the S7 meet next Saturday I can bring along an assembled bogie and I think that I can let you have a bogie side and an axlebox.

JLTRT does the Gresley 8' 6" compound bogie in the standard (light) form, I think that JLTRT includes that bogie in all of the 61' 6" kits...  which is not correct for the D167 at least (the D167 had the heavy bogie....  deeper sideframe, more visible rivets, different arrangement of swing links...).  The bogie kit includes the transoms for the brake fulcrums and yet does not include either the fulcrum levers or the brake yokes/blocks - so this is where your ideas about etching will do wonders.

Rob and I have been co-operating on producing an etch for the underframe brake rods and levers of the Gresley 61' 6" carriages...  at least three different styles / lengths seem to be required for the D113/4/5 and 167 kits which we are building.  Our original intention was to do the rods and levers which are visible under the carriage - leaving the brake rods, levers and blocks of the bogies....  however, may we can tempt you by the offer of a LNER drawing of the 8'6" double compound bogie? :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

regards, Graham

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Here is a picture of the reverse side Jonathan.
A bit like Graham, I have 4 spare bogie sides but only 4 spare axle boxes. But I am happy to throw them into the experimental mix if it helps us all in the end

Attachments

• JLRT bogies 008.JPG
    JLRT bogies 008.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 49

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob and Graham..

Thanks for all the fantastic info so far.. yes I shall definitely be at the S7 do next saturday.. I was hoping to have the L1 running for the event, but oh well.. Best laid plans and all that..  ::)

It would be great to have a good look at the sides if you could bring them, and have a general chat about your intentions. I must admit, I had only designed this as a very basic modification for the Kirk bogies, but there's nothing to say that a detailing after-pack couldn't be drawn up...

Ideally, I'll have an etched bogie to bring with me, but much experience suggests that the etches will turn up on the Monday afterwards..  :headbang: :headbang:

Look forward to Saturday..!

On another note, the coachwork of the first of two Twins has been built up...

Attachments

• KirkTwinArt1.jpg
    KirkTwinArt1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 56
  • KirkTwinArt2.jpg
    KirkTwinArt2.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 55
  • KirkTwinArt3.jpg
    KirkTwinArt3.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 54

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Bye lad thiy works fast,

southern translation - Blimey guvnor that's fast work  :)) :)) :))

The coaches are looking really good mate, I'm looking forward to see the two twin sets the most, would look nice with a G5 at the front  :))

A couple of unrelated questions, the calipers and orange handled cutter in the picture............. Could you point me in the direction of a supplier and can you cut N/S sheet with that kind of cutter, i'm sure i've seen it done but can't remember  :scratch: :scratch:

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
The orange handled tool is a Skrawker, or Olfa Cutter... Think I got
mine from either Eileens or the other big stand at the big shows, but you might have some local shops that have one...

Fantastic for cutting almost any plastic/brass/ns score your line
with a scalpel, and then gently does it on the first pass with the olfa cutter but after you have a good rut formed, go for it... When about 1/2 to 2/3 through the metal fold and snap off. Just remember to add half the thickness of the blade to your dimension because of the 'v' shaped blade will cut the piece undersize otherwise...

Superb for cutting long straight lines...

JB.