Brushs Laser Cutting and 3d Printing workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil,

yes but no but…

I tried very hard to find some useful drawings, including searching Swindon and York online archives, to no avail.

Happily, I'm in contact with one of the guys at Didcot who is able to facilitate me having a measuring session, but the stars didn’t align last year, so hopefully it’ll be possible this year.

I laser cut a representational model, but it really is no more than a place holder.

image.jpg

I had an idea that it could be an etched kit, but of course, it might be feasible as laser cut.

Let’s discuss when I can do some drawings.
Simon

Last edited:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Hi Phil,

yes but no but…

I tried very hard to find some useful drawings, including searching Swindon and York online archives, to no avail.

Happily, I'm in contact with one of the guys at Didcot who is able to facilitate me having a measuring session, but the stars didn’t align last year, so hopefully it’ll be possible this year.

I laser cut a representational model, but it really is no more than a place holder.

View attachment 206684

I had an idea that it could be an etched kit, but of course, it might be feasible as laser cut.

Let’s discuss when I can do some drawings.
Simon
I think modelu3d are looking to do a 3D print but think actually a merge of laser and 3D print is probably the way to go.

simond

Western Thunderer
It’s big! 30’ x 20…. I guess the main frames and the cross piece could print as 3 parts.
Hadn’t really considered that as an option, but I guess it’s do-able.
Might take an hour or two. I’m just having another go at my iron coal wagons, the print time is 15 hours…

There were at least two sizes of the real thing.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Swindon and York online archives
Have you looked in the Wiltshire archives at Chippenham? A seriously large amount of the drawings of the 'estate' of the GW ended up there. As an example, when I had Aberbeeg out on the show circuit a chap handed me a A4 piece of paper which listed around a dozen drawings of things like the water tank and buildings at Aberbeeg.

Simon

AJC

Western Thunderer
Have you looked in the Wiltshire archives at Chippenham? A seriously large amount of the drawings of the 'estate' of the GW ended up there. As an example, when I had Aberbeeg out on the show circuit a chap handed me a A4 piece of paper which listed around a dozen drawings of things like the water tank and buildings at Aberbeeg.

Simon

Details, and catalogue link, here (there's c.18,000 documents in the collection): Prototype - Archival Plans catalogues searchable online (GWR and Lloyd's Register)

Adam

simond

Western Thunderer
oh, look there's another rabbit hole...

Just had a quick look, and see that I've been there before, but was looking at the ships. Made no progress whatsoever in that direction either!

thanks guys
Simon

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Another recent commission that is now a kit is our Slough Coal Stage in 4mm.

I’m really pleased how this has come out and we’ve pushed the laser envelope a bit on this one and in particular the rivet representation.

We’ve utilized Modelu 3D printed coal shute.

PhotoRoom_20240118_155851.jpegPhotoRoom_20240118_155914.jpegPhotoRoom_20240118_155818.jpegIMG_4404.jpeg

Last edited:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I know the 7mm one is physically bigger than the 4mm but somehow the model still seems to have more presence.
I know what you mean but they are almost identical. Maybe its because we know the difference? Many assume when seeing pictures of the 4mm versions without the telltale OO gauge coupling etc that they are looking at the 7mm version.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I know what you mean but they are almost identical. Maybe its because we know the difference? Many assume when seeing pictures of the 4mm versions without the telltale OO gauge coupling etc that they are looking at the 7mm version.
To me, being a building nerd, the bricks look different. More defined in the 7mm version. Without the loco and no clues I would have guessed the top was the larger scale.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Well this week I realised I’d missed Intentios tenth birthday I think it was last year

Anyway looking back through the archives we’ve nearly a thousand laser files from my own kits and various commissions. Some of those commissions I’m going to make generally available as kits.

I was looking for some depot bits and found the files for these so made some up yesterday.

Fuelling grids, various depot concrete sections and fencing.

IMG_4453.jpegIMG_4454.jpegIMG_4452.jpegIMG_4451.jpegPhotoRoom_20240124_092257.jpegPhotoRoom_20240123_145037.jpegPhotoRoom_20240123_130016.jpeg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
3D plastic signalbox staircases and landings with rails would be a definite boon especially in 4mm. 3D might also produce finer signalbox window frames seeing as some laser cut wooden windows are over-thick and still fragile.

When it comes to brickwork, 7mm is the clear winner with very fine mortar courses. I gave up filling mortar courses with paint in 4mm seeing as they always look overdone.

Always a pleasure to see your latest products.

Last edited: