Book Books

28ten

Guv'nor
New Wild Swan Book

It's out!
Hopefully. Simon can fill in the details etc.....
I'm looking forward to getting my copy even though Ashburton only has one signal!

Simon

Flying Squad
New Wild Swan Book

Thank you Cynric.

I have just received my stock of the new signalling book and it looks absolutely lovely (the latest MRJ has arrived too, very nice but no WR)

I hadn't realised that Peter Squibb had worked for the S&T for 28 years - no wonder his models are so good. There is quite a lot of colour in the book, mostly of the models, and a great deal of very good and detailed photography of the prototype itself. Although the book is aimed at modelling semaphore signals in general, and covers examples from a number of companies, it is very predominantly illustrated with examples from the GWR and WR.

If you want to model (G)WR semaphore signalling then this is a really useful book, if you are modelling another company then less so, but that is not meant as a criticism of anything in the book, other than a heavy GWR influence.

ISBN 978 1 905184682 ?19.95, Laminated card covers, perfect bound, 108 pages long.

Available direct from Wild Swan and from all good booksellers, one of which (I like to think) is this chap:

http://www.titfield.co.uk/

Although I see he hasn't updated his website yet - probably out in the garden :lol:

28ten

Guv'nor
New Wild Swan Book - Scratchbuilding semaphore signals

My copy arrived from some chap called Simon :laugh:
After a quick flick through it looks like a classic WildSwan publication - right up my street - lots of really useful drawings, photographs, and minute details :D :thumbs:

28ten

Guv'nor
New Wild Swan Book

Dan Randall said:
[quote=""28ten"":ravchixk]Ashburton only has one signal!

Given that you now have the book, that's going to have to be a bit special then. :lol:

Regards

Dan[/quote:ravchixk]
There are a couple of ground signals as well!

P

Puds

I've said this before elsewhere, but I'll say it here again.........
:rant:
As good as the Wild Swan modelling books are, isn't it about time they published the thicker volumes as hardbacks. I'd rather pay the extra and have a book I know is gonna last twice as long, rather than one that ends up dogged eared and pages coming away from the spine.
Sometimes I think WSP are way behind the times and have no sense of marketing. Yes, it'll cost extra to produce, but in the long run with the quality of the books they'd surely be onto a winner.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer

Puds said:
As good as the Wild Swan modelling books are, isn't it about time they published the thicker volumes as hardbacks.

I'd much rather pay more and get a hardback copy too. :thumbs: Perhaps we should start bending the ears of the people on the Wild Swan stand when they appear at shows? :)

Regards

Dan

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Heyday of the Hydraulics, Hugh Dady

lancer1027 said:
Thanks for that Phill :thumbs: Will keep a lookout.
If it's anything like his 'The WR Diesel Hydraulics' or 'Diesels on the Western Region' we should be in for a real treat :thumbs:

Phill :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

Have you ordered or bought "Looking back at the Westerns". It is published by Strathwood . Mine should be coming soon as i ordered a copy off the DTG website. They were the firsts to sell them at ELR gala then available to sell generally :thumbs:
Did you go to the gala Phill? if so was it any good ? :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Was that a gala this year Rob ? , the ELR hold a few each year, but no I haven't got it yet as I would like to see it first, I will have a look at the WSR if it's there ;)

Phill

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

Just checked on the DTG site but because it was over last weekend its now gone off the site.
The book should be for sale at the WSR gala :thumbs: Looks to be a very good book :drool: I hope mine comes in the next few days ;)

28ten

Guv'nor

lancer1027 said:
Just checked on the DTG site but because it was over last weekend its now gone off the site.
The book should be for sale at the WSR gala :thumbs: Looks to be a very good book :drool: I hope mine comes in the next few days ;)
I'm waiting for my copy as well :D strathwood seem to be short print runs so I grab the books as soon as they come out. I missed 70s spotting on the western.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
[quote=""lancer1027"":1wc5q2x2]Just checked on the DTG site but because it was over last weekend its now gone off the site.
I'm waiting for my copy as well :D strathwood seem to be short print runs so I grab the books as soon as they come out. I missed 70s spotting on the western.[/quote:1wc5q2x2]
That's a shame you missed that it is an EXELLENT book Cynric. I too have learnt that they seem to sell quick so i get them as soon as poss :thumbs: I have also ordered the new Western book from westernsonline (Adrian Curtis), that too should be great. Did you order Hydraulics Illustrated and if so what did you think to it ? I have just received my copy of issue 3. Very good, Some great pics of 14's and 22's in it.

28ten

Guv'nor

lancer1027 said:
. Did you order Hydraulics Illustrated and if so what did you think to it ? I have just received my copy of issue 3. Very good, Some great pics of 14's and 22's in it.
I have now :laugh: :laugh:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
I'm waiting for my copy as well :D strathwood seem to be short print runs so I grab the books as soon as they come out. I missed 70s spotting on the western.
Yes I've got that one too & it is very good, it seems to be still available http://www.kevinrobertsonbooks.co.uk/pr ... acturer/98 & here http://www.motorbooks.co.uk/showsect.asp?id=144 Cynric :thumbs: , I thought ' Looking Back at Western Hydraulics ' was a good one too :cool:

Cheers Phill :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Western/Warship books

Well guy's, just got in from work to find the posty had delivered my copy of the new westerns book from Strathwood publishing," Looking back at WESTERNS ".
It is FANTASTIC :drool: :drool: . Some very rare pics, lots of various liveried pics.
Well worth ?19.95 :thumbs: It covers every loco, unfortunately for you Cynric ,Thunderer is in maroon :rolleyes:
GET A COPY GUY'S you wont regret it :drool: :drool:
Rob :wave:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

I got the 'Heyday of the Hydraulics ' today :drool: :drool: :drool: :cool: :cool: :cool: .............BUY IT :thumbs:

Phill :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
Western/Warship books

lancer1027 said:
Well guy's, just got in from work to find the posty had delivered my copy of the new westerns book from Strathwood publishing," Looking back at WESTERNS ".
It is FANTASTIC :drool: :drool: . Some very rare pics, lots of various liveried pics.
Well worth ?19.95 :thumbs: It covers every loco, unfortunately for you Cynric ,Thunderer is in maroon :rolleyes:
GET A COPY GUY'S you wont regret it :drool: :drool:
Rob :wave:
I ordered a copy from the DTG this week and also put in pre order for the Adrian Curtis book :D