7mm , Blackney, A Glimpse of the Forest

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hi Alan

I feel your pain :(

Canopy glue will probably work in the right hands, but not mine :mad:

Made the mistake of leaving the excess overnight - a while since I last used it and the memory….what was I talking about?:) - oh yes, then I found that a pneumatic drill won’t even remove the stuff :mad:

Another problem I encountered was using it sparingly: it doesn’t stick properly and then you find yourself having to revisit, then applying more of it with the problem of excess removal again…… Luckily, in my case, I will be frosting the so the residue shouldn’t show and if I’d put some thought into before I started, I could have used poly from the word go and saved myself the heartache :confused:

Anyway, apologies for wittering on. The point is that I read/watched/heard -can’t remember now unfortunately, Alan - but the solution is MEK (the Slater’s stuff) which apparently - I’ve yet to try it but had intended to do so before the unfortunate episode with the canopy rubbish - doesn’t leave a residue, doesn’t frost and works first time.

As I write, Alan, I haven’t tried it but if you’re still pondering, perhaps worth a punt?

All the best, Alan.

Jonte

Alan

Western Thunderer
Thanks Jonte, I'm glad I'm not the only hamfisted applier of glue to windows. I might try MEK on a some scap acetae and plastic.

Simon

Flying Squad
like Jonte I too struggled with canopy glue for similar reasons, only saved by the realisation that isopropyl alcohol will remove the stuff once it has "gone off".

I found this out from an aero modelling group as I recall.

On which basis I will be using it again, but I expect it will still prove a tricky process!

Actually, I think glazing in general is tricky...

Simon

jonte

Western Thunderer
like Jonte I too struggled with canopy glue for similar reasons, only saved by the realisation that isopropyl alcohol will remove the stuff once it has "gone off".

I found this out from an aero modelling group as I recall.

On which basis I will be using it again, but I expect it will still prove a tricky process!

Actually, I think glazing in general is tricky...

Simon

Perhaps now I can persevere with the canopy goo after all ;)

Thanks for the heads-up, Simon :thumbs:

Jonte

Alan

Western Thunderer
Some signage on the van and it is parked in front of the bolster now without its load. The van still needs its wing mirrors added.

I bought some extra bolsters as the log load is actually glued to the bolsters so that i can take it off, replace with the ones you see with chains and return empty as it were.

Alan

Western Thunderer
As it is the last day of 2021 I thought I'd wish everyone Happy New Year and post a couple of photos of the now finished Morris van with a few other things that have been built or finished in 2021i.e. the crane , the break van, the goods yard wall and gates and the extra shrubbery on the railway banks.

1181575203_vanbrake2.jpg.da1843c85ac026a4cf0d75d8e8de830c.jpg

2141897717_vanbrake1.jpg.0379502e21fa4efe16560bba84f5a61e.jpg

Alan

Western Thunderer
Thank you Heather, Graham for your kind comments and Jordan for your truthful comment about Frank junior.

Alan

Western Thunderer
After running round its train 8749 shunts the Vanwide for the Drakes to un load into their van.

360815304_Shuntsvanwideforum.jpg.8c201d6d4cbf49df841ea20d05324499.jpg

It then couples up with the brake van to proceed to the colliery to pick up some full wagons, before returning to Blackney to pick up the by then unloaded Vanwide.

913964090_Leavesforcollieryforum.jpg.a00eb4151d5a814c181805bd71f3c8be.jpg

Last edited:

Alan

Western Thunderer
I've been re-reading Bob Barnett's "Dean Forest Footplate Memories" and have been trying to match the dates in his accounts up and down the the two Forest Branches with photos in Ben Ashworth's "BR Steam in Dean" and eventually I came across a correlation. He describes a trip on Prairie 4564 on a very hot 28th August 1964, The loco was not in good condition, it was so poor that going through the 209 yard Bradley Hill Tunnel conditions were so bad on the footplate he wanted to get off but was stopped by his driver. Remembering there was a photo in Ben Ashworth's book featuring a small prairie I leafed through and found the photo and discovered that it was taken on the 28th August 1964 so I must assume it was during the described trip. It sounded incredibly unpleasant with Bob laying on the floor of the footplate to avoid passing out through the heat, fumes and gasses that were filling the cab. It certainly gives a completely different view of the Forest Branches than do the almost idyllic photos.