Ashburton -

B

Brinkly

I must say Cynric that I have been contemplating a 00 version of Ashburton or Launceston for a little while now, as I don't seem to be getting anywhere fast with P4 at the moment due to the blasted waiting time for everything! Currently 18 weeks for Ultrascale wheels.

In my own mind I plan to build a 00 layout and operate it with the current GWR stock that I have, but continue to build P4 items to go on a future layout! Madness I know, but I am begining to think that it is the only way I will actually do any modelling and have something built by 2050! :lol:

Regards,

Nick

28ten

Guv'nor
Brinkly said:
I must say Cynric that I have been contemplating a 00 version of Ashburton or Launceston for a little while now, as I don't seem to be getting anywhere fast with P4 at the moment due to the blasted waiting time for everything! Currently 18 weeks for Ultrascale wheels.

In my own mind I plan to build a 00 layout and operate it with the current GWR stock that I have, but continue to build P4 items to go on a future layout! Madness I know, but I am begining to think that it is the only way I will actually do any modelling and have something built by 2050! :lol:

Regards,

Nick
If you do go for Ashburton then O have lost of photos etc, my only remaining grey area is Tuckers and the water tower although I believe Dick Ganderton did some drawings at some point. I would guess that in 4mm the 14xx is a stumbling point?
Ashburton is my compromise as I would really have liked something through running etc etc but in the end its a size I can get built to the standard I want. the next layout may well be something Broad gauge......

B

Brinkly

28ten said:
[quote=""Brinkly"":3hfhduga]I must say Cynric that I have been contemplating a 00 version of Ashburton or Launceston for a little while now, as I don't seem to be getting anywhere fast with P4 at the moment due to the blasted waiting time for everything! Currently 18 weeks for Ultrascale wheels.

Regards,

Nick
If you do go for Ashburton then O have lost of photos etc, my only remaining grey area is Tuckers and the water tower although I believe Dick Ganderton did some drawings at some point. I would guess that in 4mm the 14xx is a stumbling point?
Ashburton is my compromise as I would really have liked something through running etc etc but in the end its a size I can get built to the standard I want. the next layout may well be something Broad gauge......[/quote:3hfhduga]

Thanks Guv, might just do that. :) I rather like Ashburton, for starters I drove past it for 2 years whilst I taught at the local Primary School which is just a stone's throw away and it could become a little bit busier with the addition of proper signalling and an extra siding for goods. :)

Launceston is I feel too big for a 'quick' project, too many points, turn table and large buildings to do, so as with you Ashburton is a compromise. I'm still looking at other stations and Buckfastleigh and Bovey are two possible candidates, but I'm not sure whether I have enough space in the loft to do it properly! I?ve got 20ft by 12ft, with 3ft wide boards so it is quite a bit of space to play with. I did think that I might even go for the Jas Millham approach with his YAXBURY layout and build a fictitious line and add bits onto it as I go along, start with a terminus and add through station(s) and a fiddle yard in the form of a junction which I really like as you benefit from a large amount of operational interest.
Anyway I will keep you all posted.

Regards,
Nick

28ten

Guv'nor
Buckfastleigh :thumbs: I have started collecting photos and I would love to build it :D
I think a small project that gets finished is better than several larger abandoned schemes (experience here!) I admire large layouts but they really have to be group efforts unless you do the 4mm RTR & Peco thing.
when I build a roundy roundy it will be a simple passing station,(Buckfastleigh?) just to watch the trains go by, as I am not really that interested in the operating side, I just want to watch trains go by :laugh:

28ten

Guv'nor
It has been a long time with this and other ideas have been and gone but im coming back to the idea of Ashburton. Much though I would like a continuous run its just not going to happen in the foreseeable future, and I know enough people with garden layouts to give things a good run  :D
In the intervening period I have uncovered more photos and details of the overall roof, and coming back to the overall idea I still like the concept, the only slight twist is the possibility of 1/32 rather than 7mm  :eek: as Simon D pointed out, Ashburton is really an exercise in architectural modeling and either scale involves scratchbuilding the structures.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Sounds good to me Guv  :)

Had a look through of Simon D's books whilst I was over at his this week, its a lovely prototype and nice and compact too - although all terms are relative in Gauge 1! Must be getting on for 25' long or so in the larger scale, are you going to be able to keep the forecourt and backing buildings in the upscaled plan?

Steve

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes its about 27 ft uncompressed including the forecourt, but I think I could trim a couple of foot without anyone noticing

28ten

Guv'nor
Geoff said:
Hi Guv,
Please go ahead and build it in 'S' if only to get Mr. Dunkley of my back !!

Geoff

There is more chance of me building it in Z gauge!! Not that I have anything against S I should add :))

S

Simon Dunkley

Geoff said:
Please go ahead and build it in 'S' if only to get Mr. Dunkley of my back !!
Geoff
Now then Geoff, you know how it would be the sensible thing for you to do as your next project...

28ten

Guv'nor
To get a grip on the possibilities I have made a quick mock up of the station building from foamboard, its big!!
Thata a 7mm mineral next too a Slaters 1/32 PO wagon and you can just make out the 12inch ruler in the foreground

Attachments

• IMG_3604.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3605.JPG
    374.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3606.JPG
    355.4 KB · Views: 3
S

Simon Dunkley

28ten said:
To get a grip on the possibilities I have made a quick mock up of the station building from foamboard, its big!
It has presence and impact in spades, plus think of the way the stock will roll, with all that extra mass compared to 7mm scale. (2.4 times, as it is a cubic relationship.)

28ten

Guv'nor
I have just had another quick look, and yes it does have impact  :)) more importantly it has an 'in the model' feel that I like. Tonight should see a goods shed to join the station  ;) The good news is that 4th is sufficient width, although that should make baseboards interesting!

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Nice to see a mock up there Guv, impact is one thing it won't be missing  :D

You do get a real impression of the size it will turn out to be too. I find there is quite an attraction to 'small things in big scales', will be interesting to see how it looks as a group with the goods shed. I also like the fact that a simple run round move will cover the best part of 40' or so, magic.

Steve

28ten

Guv'nor
Looking at it again, I really like it, and just think your autocoach will comfortably  fit under the overall roof!

Simon

Flying Squad
I think it is an absolutely cracking idea and would produce a model with huge impact.

Without wishing to put you off though, it will require a huge commitment on your part to bring it to completion. I got a long way with "Butleigh", my imaginary terminus of the line from Glastonbury (off which "Pomparles Siding" sprouts). I built all the boards (16 feet long in total) sorted out all the support legs, got a complete Templot plan from Simon D, (only 4 points required), built the first bit of plain line and then funked it.

Reason was the sheer scale of the whole project, after this I did actually build PS.

So, not to put you off and I hope you do go for it, but it will be a mega project.

Mind you the result will be absolutely stunning. I'll happily bring lend you W68740 for running events if you do it :thumbs:

Attachments

• Toad2.jpg
    853.5 KB · Views: 5

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

It doesn't matter what scale you build in - any project that you attempt on your own requires a huge commitment. I can't see Ashburton 1:32 requiring any more than Ashburton 7mm.  And if Cynric is happier, it's more likely to get completed. Hell, I might even build something in 1:32 to run on it ;D

Richard