6221 Queen Elizabeth and the crazy task of building her train

T30rra

So tonight saw the unboxing and start on the tender of this one, to give me a break from wagon and coach building.

She'll be finished in LMS coronation blue and silver around the time she first entered service in 1937. I did start a build thread of the coaches on rm web but I've lost all the photos from there, so going to use here and the o gauge guild forum going forward.

When I brought the kit from Ian of The Tower Collection earlier this year, I got the slaters wheels, motor gearbox and flywheel to go with it too, along with some screw links.20220520_203226.jpg20220520_203231.jpg20220520_203442.jpg20220520_203557.jpg20220520_203900.jpg20220520_213225.jpg

Last edited:

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Check the shape of the body as the two that I built the body was lop-sided I think that it's due to the size of the casting and the mould that is in use. Good luck with the lining.

ATB

OzzyO.

T30rra

Check the shape of the body as the two that I built the body was lop-sided I think that it's due to the size of the casting and the mould that is in use. Good luck with the lining.

ATB

OzzyO.
I think there will be some work involved for sure.

T30rra

Now I've finished decorating the house for now, my attention turned back to this. The tender wheels were a problem and were slightly loose on the brass centre bush I.e. Still turning a bit on the axle after being tightened up. This was because the brass centre bushes were loose in the moulded plastic wheel centre. A bit of cyano super glue has cured the problem. I can get on with the coal chute and pusher next

T30rra

I was expecting this. The curves are nearly the right height but not the right shape. I will have to anneal the sides and reform. Wish me luck, never had to anneal anything before

Attachments

• 20220619_221015.jpg
    20220619_221015.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 52

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Just use a blow torch along the line that you want to re-bend until is is a nice cherry red, you will not get it all to the same colour at the same time, but as long as it all gets to the same colour along the length you should be OK.

OzzyO.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I was expecting this. The curves are nearly the right height but not the right shape. I will have to anneal the sides and reform. Wish me luck, never had to anneal anything before
That looks to be a bit closer than either of the two that I did.

If it's any help, I didn't anneal those I just very steadily and carefully straightened and re-bent them with out needing to resort to annealing.

T30rra

If it's any help, I didn't anneal those I just very steadily and carefully straightened and re-bent them with out needing to resort

If it's any help, I didn't anneal those I just very steadily and carefully straightened and re-bent them with out needing to resort to annealing.
You were right Rob. Looks pretty good to me now. Although the next step of adding the hopper supports has me a bit confused as to where to locate them? 20220620_224853.jpg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Sorry, I can't work out what you mean by hopper supports. I thought I still had a copy of the instructions but I can't put my hands on them at the minute.

T30rra

Sorry, I can't work out what you mean by hopper supports. I thought I still had a copy of the instructions but I can't put my hands on them at the minute.
Hi Rob, the white metal ladder bits on the inside face of the tender sides (think I've sussed them out now) but more the white metal support that goes on the inside face of the rear plate which it isn't clear where to locate. The coal chute/ pusher sits onto them in some way.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob, the white metal ladder bits on the inside face of the tender sides (think I've sussed them out now) but more the white metal support that goes on the inside face of the rear plate which it isn't clear where to locate. The coal chute/ pusher sits onto them in some way.

Could you put a photo of them up on here please.

OzzyO.

PS,

if it's the bit I'm thinking of it fits near to the inside back face of the tender.

T30rra

Could you put a photo of them up on here please.

OzzyO.

PS,

if it's the bit I'm thinking of it fits near to the inside back face of the tender.
Hi Ozzy,

Will do later this evening. It sounds like it is that bit but I'm not sure on height. Will post a photo later, thanks.