4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

Dai88D

Western Thunderer
The only one I saw in real life: it had just brought in a train from Aber. too young to note whether it was black, green and/or lined! Hey ho.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A Sparmax MAX-3 airbrush arrived and so todays fine weather prompted a spraying day with the shed warming up during breakfast. 78002 was weathered first starting on the wheels and underframe. This 'gun' delivers a very fine spray that is easy to aim at small detail. (Pulling the lever right back delivers a full spray that can be used for normal spraying of 4mm scale models).

Photos were taken outdoors, but sadly I had forgotten to remove Mascol from the cab windows...
WEB BR 2-6-0 3.jpg
Must be dust on the tender as there are no foreign particles on the model....
WEB BR 2-6-0 4.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The other one with non-fluted coupling rods and non-W.R lamp iron is regarded as not long out of works. I used the new airbrush to tone down some of the copperwork and matt the smokebox paint...
WEB BR 2-6-0 5.jpg

Hornby failed to capture the bevel-rim wheels....
WEB BR Cl. 2 wheels 2..jpg

The Timken yellow axlebox covers were sprayed black...
WEB BR 2-6-0 6.jpg

WEB BR 2-6-0 8.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Father Christmas came early this year and kindly left me some Hattons Genesis coaches in various BR Engineering liveries. The question was; what to do with them? Then I remembered seeing a photo of a 4-wheel van in a Cambrian line train in the mid 1950's (below). Most of the door handles were missing but there was no lettering where one would expect it on a Tool or Mess van, so I wondered what it's function was.....
WEB 6-wheel coach 3.jpg

Using it as a parcels van (dedicated to carrying the wares from a raincoat factory) is a stretch of the imagination, but that's what it will be on my layout. It was red on delivery, so I removed paint from the windows and sprayed the coach GWR brown with black ends. Grass appears to be growing near the bufferbeam haha.....

WEB 6-wheel coach 3.jpg

The running number is a work of fiction (my old bus conductor number actually). The coach is weathered and ready for service...
WEB 6-wheel coach 4.jpg

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Father Christmas came early this year and kindly left me some Hattons Genesis coaches in various BR Engineering liveries. The question was; what to do with them? Then I remembered seeing a photo of a 4-wheel van in a Cambrian line train in the mid 1950's (below). Most of the door handles were missing but there was no lettering where one would expect it on a Tool or Mess van, so I wondered what it's function was.....
View attachment 203825

Using it as a parcels van (dedicated to carrying the wares from a raincoat factory) is a stretch of the imagination, but that's what it will be on my layout. It was red on delivery, so I removed paint from the windows and sprayed the coach GWR brown with black ends. The red cast was caused by mid afternoon light....

View attachment 203823

The running number is a work of fiction (my old bus conductor number actually). The coach is weathered and ready for service
View attachment 203824
That's a nice coach Larry apart from the big numpty coupling on the end , it just ruins everything and it's one of the reasons i couldn't go back to OO from O .

simond

Western Thunderer
TLs are not things of beauty to be sure, however, I remarked on Rob’s Ewe thread some time back that they somehow don’t show, when “in the scenery”.

I guess “ymmv”. :)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
That's a nice coach Larry apart from the big numpty coupling on the end , it just ruins everything and it's one of the reasons i couldn't go back to OO from O .
I fully agree Paul, but these 'numpty' couplings work and are easily uncoupled with a magnetic torch-pen as used by 0 gauge modellers. I too would be in the larger scale if something reasonable would fit in the garden shed. It is something that often occupies my mind.

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
I fully agree Paul, but these 'numpty' couplings work and are easily uncoupled with a magnetic torch-pen as used by 0 gauge modellers. I too would be in the larger scale if something reasonable would fit in the garden shed. It is something that often occupies my mind.

Seasons greetings Larry, it sounds like the O gauge itch is still irritating "a little" :rolleyes:, I must call by for a "paned"next time i am on the A55.

All the best
Craig

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
That platform ramp looks better, Larry.
The new BR Standard Class 2s look to be very nice models indeed, especially after weathering. Of they do the tank version, I will be sorely tempted.
Dave.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A GWR Chudleigh Goods Shed from Rail Model is on the go from today while I experiment with ideas on the layout.....
WEB Chudeigh goods 1.jpg
Illustrated instructions show the ends go between the sides, however, this turned out to be not the case. Too late for me of course....
WEB Chudleigh goods 2.jpg
This is the basic structure. I've built it back to front, as I intend building a loading platform on the rail side (this side).The roof is glued down to stop it bowing once the roofing slates are on.....

WEB Chudleigh Goods 3.jpg
The prototype good shed still in GWR light and dark stone in BR days
WEB Chudleigh Goods 0.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
This little shed is not exactly a quickie! The road side with gutter fitted. Undecided on how to complete the base of the building and so drainpipes will have to wait. I wonder why the planks can't be laser cut onto the wall surface....?
WEB Chudleigh Goods 7.jpg

Track side elevation with door and runner temporarily in position. They will be painted separately....
WEB Chudleigh goods 6.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Two options were considered for the base, and in the end I built a simple brick base with a shallow platform on the rail side. Doors will be glued on after painting is completed...
WEB Chudleigh Goods 9.jpg
The bricks are from a sheet of laser cut from Intentio. Mortar courses are very fine and on previous occasions, they lent themselves well to taking grey mortar without it looking garish.....
WEB Chudleigh Goods 8.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Painted in BR Western Region colours and weathered. Photos taken this morning in what passes for daylight hereabouts....
WEB Chudleigh Goods 10A.jpgWEB Chudleigh Goods 10B.jpg

Bricks pretty well followed PhilH's procedure and were sprayed with Halfords Matt Lacquer before adding the mortar courses...
WEB Chudleigh Goods 10C.jpg

These photo reveal I have had no permanent layout as such for some months. Almost all of my handbuilt brass coaches have been disposed of and the layout scaled down to a small termini with a basic non-corridor service....
WEB Chudleigh Goods 10D.jpg

Shunting will be done on the running line same as at Delph and other termini, so there is no need for headshunt tracks. I haven't decided which of the small sheds to use yet...
WEB Chudleigh Goods 10E.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I was inspired by a photo of Bodmin seen this morning on Pencarrow's thread; namely a small shed in the yard on the left...
WEB Bodmin.jpg

My shed was promptly given a wash of Precision Paints P990 Weathered Wood while leaving the door and window frames untouched...
WEB Chudleigh Goods 11.jpg

The base of the chimney was also rusted.....
WEB Chudleigh Goods 12.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Painted in BR Western Region colours and weathered. Photos taken this morning in what passes for daylight hereabouts....
View attachment 206273View attachment 206274

Bricks pretty well followed PhilH's procedure and were sprayed with Halfords Matt Lacquer before adding the mortar courses...
View attachment 206275

These photo reveal I have had no permanent layout as such for some months. Almost all of my handbuilt brass coaches have been disposed of and the layout scaled down to a small termini with a basic non-corridor service....
View attachment 206276

Shunting will be done on the running line same as at Delph and other termini, so there is no need for headshunt tracks. I haven't decided which of the small sheds to use yet...
View attachment 206277

I quite like both small sheds being in place, a bit like egg AND pineapple with gammon and chips...