7mm Watery Lane

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Tipton and Dudley port in the garden 16 ton minerals

After 4 years of collecting things like Lima wagon tops and Buffers and such and finally getting the gumption to stick loads of bits of plastic together here are the results. Plenty of ropey looking wagons before I have even started on them. Designed to look rough. :-[ :-[

Ian

Attachments

• Misc 140.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • Misc 144.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Misc 146.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Misc 153.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Misc 150.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • Misc 156.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Misc 157.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Misc 161.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 3

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Tipton and Dudley port in the garden

Plenty of distressed looking wagons waiting the rusting experiment

Ian

Attachments

• Misc 155.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • Misc 154.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Misc 163.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 1

lancer1027

Western Thunderer

Looks interesting Ian :thumbs: How many wagons have you got . Are they all lima minerals . What is the rusting technique ?.
I look forward to the next installment :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

mth

Western Thunderer

Jordan said:
Do i spy working drop-head buckeyes on them..???
Sorry been away playing with 7 1/4in trains

Jorden, No they are not working buckeye, they are chopped Kayee's added to make the ends look correct.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Ian you can get those diagonal white stripes from Fox, I used them on these  :thumbs:

Attachments

• XL800187.JPG
    10.2 MB · Views: 5

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

lancer1027 said:
Looks interesting Ian :thumbs: How many wagons have you got . Are they all lima minerals . What is the rusting technique ?.
I look forward to the next installment :thumbs:

Hello Rob I have about 12 LIMA bodies and 17 I have scratch built The lima ones are black and the white ones are my own. I spent hours messing about with bits of plastic rodding(and picking the mess off the floor afterwards) much to the delight of the lady wife. I am experimenting with the rusting formula at the mo usimg Hmbrol colours both light and dark rust both full colour blacks and frame dirt and various washes and I am not happy with the results so far. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :mad: :mad:

Ian

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

The problem I have got is not the colours but in how to apply them convincingly the dark rust looks like mud when applied and the light rust looks too orangey even when toned down it looks nasty. As I have never messed with weathering like this I need some insperation please

Ian

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

iploffy said:
The problem I have got is not the colours but in how to apply them convincingly the dark rust looks like mud when applied and the light rust looks too orangey even when toned down it looks nasty. As I have never messed with weathering like this I need some insperation please

Ian
I mix light rust & dark rust together & stipple it on in different shades if it's any help

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hi Guys :wave:

I wrote this Post once and then it disappeared :headbang: :headbang: :rant:

+ 1 Phill :wave:

Ian, in brief as follows (see Phots);

For the 'rust bursting through' I painted on a mix of Humbrol Matt70 and Matt 33 and then applied a mask (Humbrol or Daler and Rowney), then I applied a light matt grey and when dry, pulled off the mask and gave the model a very thinned down wash of Matt 33, when throughly dry - 24 hours - I then painted the doors with more - various percentages/mixes of  - 70 & 33, with Tan also added/dry brushed on top, in places - for newer rust - then, on the doors, a dry brush of Gunmetal, Tamiya Weathering Sets (creams) Mig powders (washes and dry). I also added - around the 'rust bursting through' - Matt 33 etc. For the latter part of the work I tend to use old brushes with short/worn hairs and stipple the paint on.

I find that it helps to have a phot of the prototype to hand and work from that.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

CME :wave:

Mr CME just one question for this very green novice and laugh if you want what and how do you apply a mask
as I have no problem now applying colour or masking and I need to see it, to know how to do it.

by the way love the wagon
Ian :-[

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

lancer1027 said:
Ive got to say CME that weathering is FANTASTIC. Pure brilliance :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumbs:

Yes I'm in total agreement with Rob  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:..................that weathering is second to none  :drool: 8) 8) 8)

Phill  :thumbs:

S

Simon Dunkley

Wonderfully disgusting stuff, and disgustingly wonderful, too!

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

thank you for that I didn't know what it was but if you ever do any more rusting do us all a favour take some pictures as you do it as what you have done is superb we could all learn from you
Ian

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

I shall be having a word with simon to see if he can order it for me

Ian

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

lancer1027 said:
Ive got to say CME that weathering is FANTASTIC. Pure brilliance :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumbs:

Just had to add my "Me Too" post to the thread... :thumbs: :bowdown:

I'd better not get my Lima minerals out now; I thought the weathering looked good before... :scratch: :shit:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Quote from: iploffy on October 07, 2010, 11:18:06 pm

" I must have missed that one as I could not find it on their website

Ian"

"I will have a look at my sheet over the weekend & see if it has a reference number on it"

Ian this is the sheet of white only lining, I must admit the list on the website does give the impression of mixed lining, but as you can see it's blue era only .......I hope this helps  :thumbs:

Attachments

• XL804485.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 5

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

Thank you mike for the transfers. I decided to have a go at the LMS cct first and successfully labelled it Pictures to follow and then had a go at the coach OOOOOOHHHHH that is sure fiddly any one got any tips to empart please

Ian