Warley Exhibition At Nec

D1054

Western Thunderer
What scale is the 40 ? :eek::cool::cool:
It's a 5" Gauge gem..... Nice to see one weathered:thumbs: Has working fans and cab lights, but no sound (not on display today anyway). The model engineering section was fairly impressive if you're a kettle fan..... diesels otherwise scarce.

Liked the Dapol 22, and Brian Daniels is working on JLTRT production "Clayton" and their planned production 33/1 which (although still good:thumbs:) barely meets Brian's own 33/1 adaptation from Heljan's 33/0 IMHO.

Very nice breakdown crane on Apethorne.

Food, as stated..... extortion!:eek:

Simon

Flying Squad
Just back from a day spent at the show - it was great.

Too much to see really, of the things I really looked at, Paul Windle's "Wallace and Grommit does 009" was out of this world, just brilliant and very artfully staged too.

I met Lawrie Loveless and had a great chat, the A4s look lovely and he also had a rather tasty Gresley full brake in 1/32 and a number of future ideas. He kindly let me take some pictures which I will post in the G1/32 section - top bloke!

But, the layout I kept going back to was Apethorne Junction, which was wonderful. Apart from the fact that I am by now draw to the larger scale stuff, I thought it one of the best conceived exhibition layouts I have ever seen. The track plan was interesting (and more to the point all of it got used during the operating sequence) and the modelling was good and got across the "theme" extremely well. (I had forgotten about those slightly curious looking platform lights the LM used to have everywhere) Add in working signalling and effectively used sound and the result is jaw droppingly good. I was there on the platform, straining to see what was coming next and enjoying every minute. As for the 2 car blue DMU with the exhaust pluming out of its vertical exhaust pipes as it raspberried away from the platform - 1970s heaven!

On top of all that was the very high standard of operation and showmanship exhibited by the operators and the huge range of stock - absolutely brilliant!

Thanks to all the organisers and exhibitors for a top day out:thumbs:

Simon

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Hi simon just read your thread re dmu raspberried away , ive just gone down the same memory lane all be it the mid 60s and they were green on cmes thread about twenty mins before your post thats wierd , twilight zone :eek:

Simon

Flying Squad
Hi simon just read your thread re dmu raspberried away , ive just gone down the same memory lane all be it the mid 60s and they were green on cmes thread about twenty mins before your post thats wierd , twilight zone :eek:

I've just read your post:)

I hadn't been thinking about the sound you are describing, but reading your post has brought it vividly back to me, together with the memory of the clouds of exhaust:thumbs:

As Roger would say - dreadful!!

Mind you, I suspect a lot of this "romance of the dmu" is a bit rose tinted, I also remember thinking they were clapped out rattletraps, but of course that was before I had had experienced the pleasures of the "Pacers" :confused:

Back to the nostalgia - I also loved the way that the driver would be desperately trying to find the next gear as you heard speed dropping by the slowing "tee tum, tee tum" of the wheels on the rail joints, followed by the gentle "kick" of engagement and protesting from the engine as it picked up revs from somewhere near stall to "full exhaust raspberry" revolutions and contemplation of further gear changes.

The whooshing of the brake applications..... the swinging of the drivers bag hanging on the partition....

Bee Barp!

Simon, back on the train to Swindon/Severn Beach/Bridport/St Ives/Weymouth/Wenbridge Junction.....

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
I've just read your post:)

I hadn't been thinking about the sound you are describing, but reading your post has brought it vividly back to me, together with the memory of the clouds of exhaust:thumbs:

As Roger would say - dreadful!!

Mind you, I suspect a lot of this "romance of the dmu" is a bit rose tinted, I also remember thinking they were clapped out rattletraps, but of course that was before I had had experienced the pleasures of the "Pacers" :confused:

Back to the nostalgia - I also loved the way that the driver would be desperately trying to find the next gear as you heard speed dropping by the slowing "tee tum, tee tum" of the wheels on the rail joints, followed by the gentle "kick" of engagement and protesting from the engine as it picked up revs from somewhere near stall to "full exhaust raspberry" revolutions and contemplation of further gear changes.

The whooshing of the brake applications..... the swinging of the drivers bag hanging on the partition....

Bee Barp!

Simon, back on the train to Swindon/Severn Beach/Bridport/St Ives/Weymouth/Wenbridge Junction.....

Simon,

I can't recall the units on the Falmouth branch being very smokey, but the rest of your comments are certainly bringing back a few memories from 37 years ago.

Yep, it's certainly "dreadful" alright!

Roger

Simon

Flying Squad
Simon,

I can't recall the units on the Falmouth branch being very smokey, but the rest of your comments are certainly bringing back a few memories from 37 years ago.

Yep, it's certainly "dreadful" alright!

Roger

Great to meet up with you, Rob and Mark today - hope you had a good trip back!

Simon

westernfan

Western Thunderer
I was about ten when i first jumped on a dmu by myself(1968) , my rich aunty had just given me half a crown i told my folks i was just going up the park for the day with my mates but i was on a mission to Barry Island the train fare was one and six for a return . and the dodgems were a tanner a go

but my fav ride was the one from Oakhampton to Exeter Saint Davids they used to add a bubble car to the 3 car unit and sometimes add a trailer load in the form of a cct depending on the set up it was up front behind the driver or even better in the rear cab watching all the instruments the lights for all the engines on the left piller etc but most of all the view of the twin tracks rolling away and seeing the gradients of the line .

those first gen dmus were only supposed to last tens years and by the 70s they were well worn out doors wouldnt close properly then they got those refurbs with the backend cab class surrond which in blue grey liv i think suited them well .

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
another interesting posting on the 7mm Yahoo Group, this time from Bob Alderman (GOG TIO)

I had look at the wagons at the NEC and a "significant" conversation with
the owner of Dapol. They are not enlargements of existing models. He was
quite derisory about manufacturers who enlarge existing tooling.
The models were pre-production. One of the features that will change is the
depth of the groove between planks, currently too deep.
He also said there are some locos to follow. Planned price LESS THAN £300!
He feels the market is there.
I raised the question of wheel standards with him based on our recent thread
on Heljan wheels. We will be making further contact with respect to this.
I regret I am no expert on wagons but they looked pretty good to me.
Better than Skytrex and cheaper than Lionheart.

we await with bated breath.

cheers

Mike