Prototype Tim Mills' Photos

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Another "Neasden MPD. April 1958." We didn't see a huge number of V2s at Neasden from 1958 onwards, usually only one which had come in to town on the South Yorkshireman and returned on the return working. Here Tim has captured 60876 which was posted to Neasden at the time as it had moved from Kings Cross in November 1957. It then went through the silly "was it on loan or not" process before actually being allocated to Neasden as an LM shed in February 1958. Along with most other ER incumbents it moved away by the end of the year, in this case in November, to York (North) initially on loan but then as a permanent fixture at the end of December 1958 from where it was withdrawn in October 1965. It went from York to Cashmore's (Great Bridge) where it was scrapped during December the same year.

At the left hand side there's just a glimpse of what appears to be a pretty ancient vehicle. Possibly a riding van although I don't remember a crane at Neasden (which doesn't mean there wasn't one!)

img433 TM Neasden MPD April 58 - Copyright copy.jpg

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
My thanks to all those who continue to review this thread. There is much more to come and some of it very esoteric, and I'll continue to drip feed for as long as the interest of others remains. I, personally, will be continuing with this collection for as long as it takes. I also use the Shed Bash site from time to time. It's useful as a double check of loco allocations.

Tony - thank you for your interest. So far I've no photos of a Standard 4 2-6-0 at Neasden but that doesn't mean there are none. These negs are in no sort of order so it's quite possible there'll be another visit to Neasden. I have to say, from the perspective of scanning and processing the lack of uniformity makes for interest. I suspect that, if everything was neatly batched, the whole process could become quite tedious.

For today we've moved away to somewhere completely different. Tim is an ER and preferably GER enthusiast but has been shown to be very catholic in his tastes. So here we are at "Swindon Station. 19th October 1957." 57XX Class 7794 belonged to Swindon Shed at the time and had lived there since 1946. Whilst looking well used it is in nice external condition. It moved to Oswestry in August 1959 and a month later to Brecon. A book move to Ebbw Junction (Newport) occurred a month after that because Brecon became an overnight stabling point as reported by the SLS - again from BR Database: 02/11/1959 Brecon demotion Brecon's allocation was divided from 2nd November, 1959-2219/36, 3638, 3706/47/67, 7794 to Newport (86A) and 46506/16/8/9/20/1/2 to Oswestry (89A) thus making the shed an overnight stabling depot. It was withdrawn from Ebbw Junction at the end of October 1960 and made the short journey to Cashmore's (Newport) for scrapping which was done during April 1961.

img436 TM Swindon Station 19 Oct 57 - Copyright copy.jpg

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Today two for the price of one, and still at Swindon. Mainly subject movement with a bit of camera shake thrown in on this first one which has compromised the image significantly - a great shame as this has the makings of a nice photo - but included because of the various background details.

It's described as "Swindon Shed. 1957." It looks as though 4117 has just come out of works and the evidence is that it was never shedded at Swindon. My references (Locoshed books) go as far back as April 1957 when the loco is shown to be an Exeter resident. However, it was clearly a local engine for long before that as it was recorded at Newton Abbot in August 1953 carrying a Taunton shed plate. I don't know when it transferred from Taunton to Exeter but it returned to Taunton in the July and back to Exeter in the October. It moved to Newton Abbot at the beginning of October 1958 and boomeranged back to Exeter in March 1959 before returning to its final shed at Taunton in early October 1960 where it was withdrawn at the end of September 1961. It was scrapped during October 1961.

img434 TM Swindon Shed 1957 copyright copy.jpg

The second for today is "Swindon Works. 1957." I saw this myself on a couple of occasions and regretted not photographing it - although the simple camera I had at the time would not have been man enough for the job.

This is the replica broad gauge "North Star" which stood on a plinth in Swindon Works Erecting Shop and is now, I believe, at the "Steam" Museum at Swindon.

img435 TM Swindon Works 1957 - Copyright copy.jpg

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
"Swindon Station. 19th October 1957." Another really promising photo spoiled by camera shake but a few platform and signal details which make it worth a view. This is County 1025 County of Radnor, in late 1957 a Shrewsbury engine, in fact it had been there since 1950 and was withdrawn from there in the middle of February 1963 and thence to Cashmore's (Great Bridge) where it was scrapped in January 1964.

img437 TM Swindon Station 19 Oct 57 - Copyright copy.jpg

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
This one is a lot better, apart from the near "photo bomb" (not that we'd heard the expression at the time) with just the slightest camera shake and subject movement. "Swindon. Down Freight. 19th October 1957." It's 28XX 2-8-0 2806 with what looks, to me, to be a train of minerals behind. This loco has a really simple history. It was shedded at Severn Tunnel Junction from 1954 until withdrawal in March 1960 and scrapping a month later. It certainly gave good front line service - over 54 years.

img438 TM Swindon Down Freight 19 Oct 57 - Copyright copy.jpg

Brian

SimonT

Western Thunderer
is it a loading gauge ?
Yes.

The detail that I find interesting is the track on the Down Main. I didn't know that GW/BR(W) went to continuous clipped so early. Does anyone know when it started to convert? The Up Main is still chaired.

The train isn't a mineral as it us running under Class E lamps as an express freight. I presume this is because the head of the train is composed of vac stock. I wonder how fast they got old 2806 to go?

Simon

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Simon beat me to it. It has a fitted 'head'. Class E is express freight with fish, meat, fruit or cattle (for example), so the two leading vans are one of these followed by three fitted goods wagons and at least another three or four vans. Steel 16T minerals thereafter.

A GWR late 1930's Sunshine coach has the new BR maroon livery. In 1957, this livery was beginning to make inroads into blood and custard trains, but was still quite rarish among the thousands of carriages in service at that time.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
This one is a lot better, apart from the near "photo bomb" (not that we'd heard the expression at the time) with just the slightest camera shake and subject movement. "Swindon. Down Freight. 19th October 1957." It's 28XX 2-8-0 2806 with what looks, to me, to be a train of minerals behind. This loco has a really simple history. It was shedded at Severn Tunnel Junction from 1954 until withdrawal in March 1960 and scrapping a month later. It certainly gave good front line service - over 54 years.

An interesting photograph, however in my case not for the rail content :).

Obviously the date above gives the season away however this can been deduced by the attire of the folks on the far platform. Taken late in the day (lengthened shadows from the sou' sou'west) with a fair westerly (direction of smoke from the loco). Looking at the clouds in this and the earlier Swindon sequence it appears to be one of those sunny with scattered showers days. The wind drying the platform after an earlier shower only for the sun to come out at the right moment!

I would hazard a guess the unwitting 'photo bomber' is a member of staff as he appears to walking with his hands behind his back, looking towards the photographer (Tim) rather than the train and not wearing the de rigueur 1950-60's locospotters gaberdine mac/trenchcoat.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you for your continuing comments. It's what keeps any thread alive.

Col - I reckon that is a loading gauge. I've been through the Swindon photos but that view is, frustratingly, not repeated so absolute confirmation is not possible unless someone else has supporting evidence.

Trackwork, Simon, is beyond my ken but yours is an interesting comment. Now I've studied the photo again I can see the two vans behind the loco. The smoke made them appear to be opens, but the headcode (which I never thought to check) certainly gives it away.

Larry. Thanks for your confirmation of the above, and also your comment on the coaching stock.

And Dave. Observant as ever. I bet you are correct about the photo bomber too.

Here's another two for the price of one. These just seem to fit well together for a single post, but help is needed. The first is titled by Tim, incorrectly, as "Swindon. 19th October 1957. Taff Vale Railway 0-6-0T." This can be identified as 373 which was a Taff Vale Railway A Class 0-6-2T.

I found nothing about this loco on BR Database but there is a bit on Wiki which advises that the last seven locos of this class were withdrawn from Abercynon shed in August 1957. Apparently several of them were used as works shunters at Swindon, so perhaps that applies to No 373. More details will be appreciated.

img439 TM Swindon 19 Oct 57 Taff Vale Rly 0-6-0T Withdrawn Aug 1957- Copyright.jpg

This one is even more difficult. Tim's description is "Swindon. 19th October 1957. Last Rhymney Railway Loco." Unfortunately he's not identified the loco in question. Following the small amount of info we have here this loco has to be No 36, 38 or 42. All three appear in the Locoshed book of April/May 1957 as allocated to Cardiff East Dock but not in the subsequent issue in November/December 1957. Again I could find nothing in BR Database.. So which is the last one, and is this really it?

Doubtless someone on this site has the details to complete the story, so all details will be gratefully received.

img440 TM Swindon 19 Oct 57. Last Rhymney Rly Loco - Copyrigt copy.jpg

Brian

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
After putting the Rhymney Railway 0-6-2T through my usual 'process', I go for 36 or 38, the reason being the first character has a horizontal flat top. At first I read it as 78. I'm trying to work out what is going on under that riding van in the background, as it appears to have a freight bogie midway between the outer ones. Ugh?

Looks like some kind of bogie wagon in front, buffer end just lines up with the loco buffers. Riding van on a parallel line behind.

PhilH

Western Thunderer
According to the RCTS "Locos of the GWR Part 10 Absorbed Engines" No.35 was the last Rhymney Railway loco to survive, being cut up in March 1958, so Tim's description of it being the last Rhymney loco is correct.. The previous three - 36, 38 and 42 - were cut up in November 1957. The reason 35 lasted a little longer is that after withdrawal in November 1956 it was sent to Worcester in January 1957 for use as a stationary boiler for 12 months. However if it was back at Swindon by 19th October its use at Worcester may have been rather less. Its use as a stationary boiler probably explains the lack of rods noted by Simon and the steam lance connection noted by Dave.